Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: How is driving the hot rod in cold and rain

Post Thanks / Like

How is driving the hot rod in cold and rain

I am getting close to picking up a FFR hot rod here. I already have a MKII Cobra and put on 3-6k miles a year on it. But, I have noticed that rain is not fun with no roof. I have a friend who is selling his hot rod and I also have been looking around. I am close to making a hot rod purchase.

My big question is how are the hot rods with the roof on driving in cold or rain. I am going to assume that cold is not much of an issue if the car has a heater. I have driven my Cobra down into 20s before and been fine. It is rain that I am more worried about with the car being so light and having wide tires. I am going to assume that if you drive like an idiot, the car will punish you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    I am going to assume that if you drive like an idiot, the car will punish you.
    I think that's a safe assumption.

Depends how it was built of course - the wiper system could range from non-existent to "basic" to very fancy dual wipers. Ditto the windows - I don't have any - and the fender situation. Driving in the rain without fenders will be "interesting".

Your wide grin will give you a warm glow though.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't describe the hot rod as an "all weather" car. Not sure if any of the FFR cars are really weather tight but having a roof and windows has got to be an improvement over the open cockpit roadster you're used to.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a hot rod just an old roadster but short wheelbase and wide tires are similar.

Wet is just wet. Most do that every day in the shower. You'll dry out, so will the car.

RainX, wipers maybe and a bailing bucket all help. Dry towels are good. Drain holes in the floor minimize standing water.

But tires make all the difference. Most of the summer tires are less than spectacular in the rain. Choose wisely.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the replies. There are some built 33s around me and I am going to go visit some of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    I am getting close to picking up a FFR hot rod here. I already have a MKII Cobra and put on 3-6k miles a year on it. But, I have noticed that rain is not fun with no roof. I have a friend who is selling his hot rod and I also have been looking around. I am close to making a hot rod purchase.

My big question is how are the hot rods with the roof on driving in cold or rain. I am going to assume that cold is not much of an issue if the car has a heater. I have driven my Cobra down into 20s before and been fine. It is rain that I am more worried about with the car being so light and having wide tires. I am going to assume that if you drive like an idiot, the car will punish you.
    I did a show last summer about 50 miles away from the house. Fortunately, I had put the top on the day before so my wife would take a ride with me - apparently roadsters are not fun for those that have long hair. It was 104 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Three hours into a 5 hour show, a few clouds began creeping in and things began darkening a bit. By the time I left, it was absolutely pouring & following me the entire way! There were a couple seepages around the side windows. I have my wiper in the back if I ever truly needed it, but I carry some individual packs of RainX wipes and to be honest with you, since the window is nearly vertical, that works great. I have Hagan Fattie mirrors...they are great during good weather & day driving, but not at all helpful at night - my vision doesn't help! To finish up, lots of wiping down when I got home with some extremely large & absorbent towels - to summarize, I don't recommend it & personally avoid it at almost all cost, but if caught in a pinch I think you'l be fine. I will say the car is extremely light, be very cautious on any wet or slick surface (sand, gravel, water, dew). I have had the front slide several times coming to complete stops at stop signs where there is just a little sand, trash or dirt. I also believe I have a little too much front brake right now. When I am at indoor shows, the fronts lock up & just slide! Working on the fix for that now! Take care and good luck!

Jamie
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

7. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the trunk of my Cobra, I have a weather proof car cover just in case and a bag of stuff for the passenger. The small bag that is loving known as the "wife kit" has gloves, small blanket, scarf for the neck and a scarf for the hair. I might have to make one for the hot rod if I get one.

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know where I'm located (Ontario, Canada near Toronto) the Hot Rod is going to be a fair weather car only, so heat is a must to extend my driving season. Thinking that heated seats and dash air would go along way if we get caught without the soft top and zip in windows up.
    Last edited by narly1; 02-23-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seat heaters are easy to install and relatively inexpensive. The ones I bought last year don't appear to be available now, but there are many options available from all the usual sources. If you are going without a top you might consider spending a few more bucks and getting the waterproof version. Also look at what kind of controls you want - on/off or multi-level power.
    Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heated seats in my Cobra. They are great and very easy to install. They are already on my shopping list.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will make your hot rod an all weather driver: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/5...3-3096d1a44461
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

14. Likes RoadRacer, FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    This will make your hot rod an all weather driver: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/5...3-3096d1a44461
    Amen! Rainx and no side windows

I had a cobra replica in 98-99 and I just used my crash helmet when it rained in Atlanta where I lived at the time - the trick was to drive fast enough that the rain went over your head.

One day, at the lights, in a downpour, a woman next to me got out of her car and ran around and gave me a spare umbrella she had so I could use it at the lights. Made me smile!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

16. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From personal experience if you drive with the rain gage, the big one that rotates backwards, at about 100% the better portion of the rain goes over the cockpit and you don't get too wet. Big tires, big rooster tails.
    Jim