Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Rear view mirror camera

Post Thanks / Like

Rear view mirror camera

Has anyone installed a rear view camera to help with the big blind spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's my understanding that rear view cameras (other than backup cameras) are not legal in many states. Unless something has changed recently?
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    It's my understanding that rear view cameras (other than backup cameras) are not legal in many states. Unless something has changed recently?
    Keith
    I know there are some things they do regionally, but I just purchased a GMC Sierra Truck that has one as an option. I am in Texas, but it is also listed on their upgrades at the GMC website.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I read, having only a camera system for side mirrors is not legal. Car companies are installing side mirrors and also the side cameras. This is showing up in many cars and what I am planning on doing in my hot rod. The more I drive it, the more I get afraid that I will miss a car on my left.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DD has blind spot alert (radar) that works really well, so I plan to add that to the Hot Rod. IMHO, side cameras would just be a distraction - unless they only came on when there was something closing in on you.
    Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 360 camera system. I will install it when I install the door poppers. It is going to take a weekend or two to get this done. I will post pictures as I go.

7. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a backup camera and mirror from Watson StreetWorks.
    https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...h-hole-camera/
    it works great and you can switch between mirror and monitor with a switch. A lot better than looking through the small back window.

9. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a VanTop H610 on my GTM. It is a front camera, rear camera (full time if you want without guidelines), a backup camera with guidelines, and records clips in the event of an impact..whether while driving or parked. Amazing piece of technology that is very reasonably priced. You can turn off the cameras and use it as a real rear view mirror as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The unit is designed to attach to an existing rearview mirror, however, you can buy a bracket that will screw directly to the VanTop. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Interio....c101198.m1985
    Last edited by dlud; 03-24-2021 at 09:45 AM.

11. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it isn’t what you meant, I have played around with it