Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Roll Cage Padding

Post Thanks / Like

Roll Cage Padding

Hola,
    I installed the Kirkey High Density,SFI 45.1, 1" Roll cage padding. In my Gen. 2 car, the roll cage tube on the window side, is very close to my head. So, I wanted to have some "cushion" in between my head and the tube, just to play it safe in an accident. But, this padding is as hard as the tube. Just wandering what you guys are using for roll cage padding.
    Thanks.
    Herb
    Coupe # 622.

2. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So... If you want to go full over kill you can do what I did, here is a link, but when I think of roll bars I think of Jeep Wranglers maybe there is some good options for Jeep Wranglers, the after market options for Jeeps are endless. When I did a quick search the offerings seem overwhelming. Also there are good upholstery foams about 1/8" thick that you could layer for your desired thickness with contact cement for a DIY solution, maybe even cover it in vinyl and hide the seam on the backside (where the headliner is).

4. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post
    Likes 1965daytona liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is anything the feels soft is going to be pretty worthless if you ever actually need it (meaning your head is still going to be moving pretty fast when it hits the metal). There are some companies that offer dual durometer stuff that has a nice soft layer for gentle bumps getting in and out, but still offers protection in a crash.

Something like this:
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2397

6. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used this on the roll bar above the side windows on my Gen 3 Coupe: Kirkey Racing 99001 Roll Bar Padding. Wrapped with some of the same vinyl as used in my interior. Says it's not SFI rated because that's for the really hard stuff that's intended to be used while wearing a helmet. The dual durometer stuff looks interesting. Hadn't seen that before. Still, the inner core is intended for a helmet. Even the softer side is too if you read the reviews. But some do say they're using it without a helmet.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same Kirkey roll bar padding as Paul. Good far a street car when you are not using a helmet.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

10. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As others said.

Cheaper non SFI approved padding are softer. More like pool noodle.

This cover can be used to hold the padding in place:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-12501
    It’s nicer than tie wraps.

12. Thanks 1965daytona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys for sharing all your ideas. I really appreciate it.
    Herb
    Coupe # 622.