Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Whetstone's Design

Post Thanks / Like

Shawn Whetstone's Design

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    If you guys want to volunteer a few cars that you think are best (this cannot be a thousand individual posts) that's cool, but the designs that were picked were organized and really are exceptional. I am not saying I am throwing in the towel, rather I think its maybe a good idea to do some extrapolations and maybe let the creative energies loose on some mods to the designs after some detail photos are posted and allow people to really judge the cars well on even ground and with clear shots from all angles.
    Since Dave said that he's still open to different designs and Shawn Whetstone's car has gained a lot of interest in the other threads, I decided to start a new thread to separate the comments on this design. Here are all the pics that were submitted.

Last edited by wooward; 10-30-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Specs added

Post Thanks / Like
    Targa

Last edited by wooward; 10-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a huge fan of this project and have been following it since the announcement. I am so confident in this project that I have already purchased my donor car in preparation. With that being said I was a little disappointed with the 4 designs chosen. I would still build any of them, but none of them set my hair on fire as they sit. This design however does. It has everything that I am looking for in this car. It is clean, beautiful, unique, exotic, and functional. I know Dave is looking for feedback, and my advice is to consider this design. I haven't seen anything negative about this design, unlike the 4 other designs. I understand that you guys are in the short hairs with this project, but I really feel that this design is leaps and bounds above the other ones. Either way I fully support whatever you decide.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by GUNS; 10-25-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This seems to be a great cohesive design the profile is awesome. I think with a little tweaking this would be an excellent choice. I would like to see a side exit exhaust on this like the 918 porsche. Also the front opening im not sure about. Its missing something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a great design. Better than the other four IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this project and have been following it since the announcement. I am so confident in this project that I have already purchased my donor car in preparation. With that being said I was a little disappointed with the 4 designs chosen. I would still build any of them, but none of them set my hair on fire as they sit. This design however does. It has everything that I am looking for in this car. It is clean, beautiful, unique, exotic, and functional. I know Dave is looking for feedback, and my advice is to consider this design. I haven't seen anything negative about this design, unlike the 4 other designs. I understand that you guys are in the short hairs with this project, but I really feel that this design is leaps and bounds above the other ones. Either way I fully support whatever you decide.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    QFT!

Of the 4 models, Schenks' and Nouphonse's are the best examples to glean from.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still like the Olmos design much more, but I like this better than the other 3. This nose is too large and it's too 'smooth' fro my taste. But I can see why others would like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy2160 View Post
    I still like the Olmos design much more, but I like this better than the other 3. This nose is too large and it's too 'smooth' fro my taste. But I can see why others would like this.
    The more I look at it the more I wonder if the angles just make the nose look large. If you look at the top view there isn't actually much in front of the wheels. It just rounds out towards the middle. I also think it doesn't help that the front quarter view looks like it was rendered with a wide angle lens, which is the same problem that the other four 1/4 scale model pictures suffer from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a toy.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    This one is really nice. I llike much more than the other four.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    Its a toy.
    Not any more than Olmos' car. That much HoF deserves vetting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like this one better than the four winning designs..

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Love this design! if it got made for me it would be Xabiers then this... LOVE THE SHAPE

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the simple lines. It reminds me of the Lotus 211 that the 818 was supposed to emulate. The nose does need to be shortened and the shape reworked but this could be a winner.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    High MPG car, sure. But not a rocket ship. It doesn't hit me in the face. It doesn't scream FAST or SCARY.

Sure it's pretty. But it doesn't make me want to take it off of the shelf and play with it...
    400WTQ WRX engine waiting for a new home...

Post Thanks / Like
    It reminds me of:

Last edited by Flashburn; 10-26-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree this is a stunning design.

I have been following the 818 project for some months and sat down on Saturday in excitment for the great unveiling and to be honest was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong I would build any of the top 3 cars (particulary the Olmos). This however, would set my hair on fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice design and functional to boot. The rear is sexy as hell and so is the side profile. I think the nose could benefit from some shrinking side to side. Looks a bit too bulbous to me? Other than that great design. Either Xabier's or this one make me drool.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me I love this one, the beauty is in it's simplicity and clean lines.

Wasn't there 'politics' as to why this wasn't submitted?

EDIT: Yes, I think this might have something to do with it....

http://www.facebook.com/people/Shawn...one/1336038966
    Last edited by Benji; 10-26-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    Not any more than Olmos' car. That much HoF deserves vetting.
    No, I really mean it is a toy for children, an adult could not possibly fit in it. An adult dwarf maybe, but it would be tight.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...cpZZ8QQtppZZ20

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Kach, how tall is the GTM? Surely it's lower than 4'. At least it looks like it is. How about if the seat bracket were taken off and FF had two rails built onto the floor? That would gain about another 4". Not a huge number, but every bit helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 305mouse View Post
    Kach, how tall is the GTM? Surely it's lower than 4'. At least it looks like it is. How about if the seat bracket were taken off and FF had two rails built onto the floor? That would gain about another 4". Not a huge number, but every bit helps.
    http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/specs.html
    Overall height 42.5”
    Typically a race seat shell (padded) bolted to the floor, they can be made adjustable.

http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm
    parts.3.jpg
    These bracket allow you to install adjustable seat track brackets in your GTM allowing the seat to stay flat on the floor allowing for maximum headroom. They are made of 6061 Aluminum and CNC cut and tumbled for a nice satin finish. (seat tracks not included, but available from FFR or Jegs)
    http://www.priceofhistoys.com/page/46/
    yellow-ffr-gtm-6.jpg

I'm just posting this information for arguments sake and to answer a question, I'm not proposing the 818 have GTM style seating. People who have tried resulted in having the back of the drivers head inside of the firewall, with the steel cross bars going through the seat. There is just too short of a wheelbase in the 818 for a GTM seating arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    For me I love this one, the beauty is in it's simplicity and clean lines.

Wasn't there 'politics' as to why this wasn't submitted?

EDIT: Yes, I think this might have something to do with it....

http://www.facebook.com/people/Shawn...one/1336038966
    He designed the Nemesis for RCR right?
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense Kach. but maybe for the sake of HoF, changes to the template might have to be a consideration. ... move the gas tank, and since the motor is flat, lower the motor and gearbox to the centerline of the rear axle, and then shorten the gearbox to a realistic length ... and the radiator .... well use your imagination. To achieve HoF may require some wholesale changes is all I'm saying. There is alot of Hof in the design submissions ... flexibility is the key to implementation ... all aspects of the design should be considered
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my honest opinion this should have been the winning design. Sleek, elegant, fast, modern. It looks like a real global car, not a US hotweels toy like some of the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This car

Where the front fenders get pinched, giving it a "bulldog cheek" look, i don't quite care for. Beyond that, I adore it. There is zero denying that it was at least influenced by the 458 italia. The problem is the final car can't end up too close to that design or then Factory Five will have trouble putting it out as a fresh "original". I imagine with all their history in being the best of the best, they've learned a thing or two about copywriting. Pity, because the Italia is easily one of the sexiest cars ever built.
    Last edited by onyx_riddle; 10-26-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
    No offense Kach. but maybe for the sake of HoF, changes to the template might have to be a consideration. ... move the gas tank, and since the motor is flat, lower the motor and gearbox to the centerline of the rear axle, and then shorten the gearbox to a realistic length ... and the radiator .... well use your imagination. To achieve HoF may require some wholesale changes is all I'm saying. There is alot of Hof in the design submissions ... flexibility is the key to implementation ... all aspects of the design should be considered
    I could be wrong, but I think the stock gas tank is being modified to sit tall, behind the seats. That is what I would do given the circumstances. The rest of your ideas could be given to working if enough money was thrown at them, again sweet and simple and reusing as much donor parts seems to be the goal here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    He designed the Nemesis for RCR right?
    This.

There is a reason why this design was not even ENTERED into the competition and thus why it didn't win.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if you get rid of the oem seat rails, maybe move out the pedal assembly a little, I think it could work without the head being in the firewall. And I mean this for all entries, not just this one.
    Last edited by 305mouse; 10-26-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This.

There is a reason why this design was not even ENTERED into the competition and thus why it didn't win.
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but that means F5 has no "rights" to use this design as it wasn't submitted (to my knowledge). So the first step to do so would be to get Shawn on board first??? So really until that happens i see no point in all this debating.....
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very impressed with the Whetstone design, but if kach22i is correct, and you can't an 818 under it's skin, then it's irrelevant. It would be like buying your wife a super sexy neglige, but it's size 2 and your wife is size 10. Well, she's gonna be sleeping in sweat pants, and you going to be sleeping on the couch. If you want to bring up favorites, here are some of mine.
    AntonioCarvajal.jpgArifinSantoso2.jpgBrendanKennelly1.jpgCameronDaly.jpgCameronDempster2.jpgEdWach2.jpgFernandoHernandez1.jpgMarekRybacki.jpgMattMcComb4.jpgSachaSoulie.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This car is turning out to be awesome. I can't wait

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shawn's design was submitted and voted on, no politics as the voters never even met or talked to each other. Grassroots supplied the designs to the judges with only the renderings and judges name, no other background info. I remember it as I had voted for it as my second choice behind Xabier's design.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its OK...thats about it for me.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol , could call it the 370 italia,,, but really not as good as others

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the message here to FF5 is that there is some positive consensus for the following attributes: defined high rounded fenders, Coke bottle waist, and short overhangs front and rear. To me, these trump vents ,louvers and other points of interest in car design. This approach was used by the D-type Jaguar to good effect and it was reasonably aerodynamic.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like an 08 ecliipse with a redesigned nose.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    I am very impressed with the Whetstone design, but if kach22i is correct, and you can't an 818 under it's skin, then it's irrelevant. It would be like buying your wife a super sexy neglige, but it's size 2 and your wife is size 10. Well, she's gonna be sleeping in sweat pants, and you going to be sleeping on the couch. If you want to bring up favorites, here are some of mine.
    MattMcComb4.jpg
    I don't think I've seen Matt McComb's design before, but I think it has a lot of potential.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if this toy fits "THE TEMPLATE" ...
    Last edited by slopoke; 10-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast