Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Model - O's - Feedback and Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    can you do the hood scoop, but follow the curve of the crease of the original hood..so that the scoop is "U" shaped at the front instead of flat at the front?
    I don't have O's madd skills using programs, I'm using something called ACDsee which is no Photoshop.

Did my best, is this what you had in mind?
    Modified-kach22i-VenomFront5.jpg
    Last edited by kach22i; 11-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the changes Rodney. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better. The headlights on the blue one could be off the shelf lights molded into the front valence. The headlights on the orange one flow great but they would be harder to get right. Are the headlights on the blue one high enough off the ground to pass inspection? I also like the hood vent Kach22i added, would look great with some louvres.

Rodney I think its great that you keep developing your design.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I don't have O's madd skills using programs, I'm using something called ACDsee which is no Photoshop.

Did my best, is this what you had in mind?
    Modified-kach22i-VenomFront5.jpg
    that's close enough to let me know I would like a hood scoop similar to that

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyO View Post

Quoted so I can see these on the 3rd page .

Post Thanks / Like
    One more, even bolder, maybe even O will like this one.
    Modified-kach22i-VenomFront6.jpg

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    One more, even bolder, maybe even O will like this one.
    Modified-kach22i-VenomFront6.jpg
    better overall size wise, but a bit deep to my eye

this design has the potential to win me over from the X camp

Post Thanks / Like
    This one is genius! Show Dave now! This is the HoF.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ agreed... i'm still a fan of the original, but that orange one is hawt...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I may change my mind on which one is my favorite, great job Rodney.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    @Olmos
    Love the orange/red design, the headlights definitely bring out the Venom/Viper aspect of the car's original name. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing your 3D render of the orange/red design.

@Kach22i
    Your last picture of the U-shape hoodscoop looks great. It plays very well with the whole Venom/Viper theme of the orange/red design. I am now very torn between Olmos's orange/red design, Whetstone's design, and Vman's Vantage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Are the headlights on the blue one high enough off the ground to pass inspection?
    Didn't know that there was a limit here, I'm going to look into it =), I will raise them up though,
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    Your original rendering was, by your aadmission 12" wider than the template, and it's obvious that you show wider tires. The new rendings look more narrow, but it looks like you just scaled the whole thing down in one dimension. If so, can you show us what happens when you put on stock wrx wheels at the specified track width of 58.5" front / 58.3" rear without making it more narrow at the doors?
    When I built the original 3d model I used what was provided by FF as a template "guideline", the adjustments I have been making will start using real world scale tires, etc. Hopefully you will see this on the new 3d model soon.

One area of focus I have been putting efforts behind has been a way to be able to put away the Targa Top on the front. Someone in here mentioned the idea of splitting the Targa in half, that sounds like a good option, but I know some have requested to put a release vent on top of the hood, but that will not work if thats where the Targa goes. Another one are the side windows, since I have a very low side door the window is not able to travel as far down as it need it to, so I have stretch the door body down making and have actually move the line up a bit as well, this new changes in the 3d version now allow a window to fully come down.

Another is the blind spot, the hump style of design creates a big blind spot, the solution so far is working but is changing the design a bit, I'm trying not to change the original design to much, because it will loose its essence. Let's see other changes... I have a few more can't think of at the moment.. all of these fixes will be present in the 3d version.

Draco-REX - wrote
    "Door handles, though cool in your design, might require expensive custom work. The 02-07 Impreza door handles, though large-ish, aren't that ugly. Maybe it would be interesting to see what they would look like on the doors."

I tried this it didn't look good =(, I'm gonna start hunting some that might work. thanks for the suggestion it was great, I will try and post images when i get a chance.

so here are some updates:

Thanks Kach22i for the edits you made, they really helped.

cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't know that there was a limit here, I'm going to look into it =), I will raise them up though,

When I built the original 3d model I used what was provided by FF as a template "guideline", the adjustments I have been making will start using real world scale tires, etc. Hopefully you will see this on the new 3d model soon.

One area of focus I have been putting efforts behind has been a way to be able to put away the Targa Top on the front. Someone in here mentioned the idea of splitting the Targa in half, that sounds like a good option, but I know some have requested to put a release vent on top of the hood, but that will not work if thats where the Targa goes. Another one are the side windows, since I have a very low side door the window is not able to travel as far down as it need it to, so I have stretch the door body down making and have actually move the line up a bit as well, this new changes in the 3d version now allow a window to fully come down.

Another is the blind spot, the hump style of design creates a big blind spot, the solution so far is working but is changing the design a bit, I'm trying not to change the original design to much, because it will loose its essence. Let's see other changes... I have a few more can't think of at the moment.. all of these fixes will be present in the 3d version.

Draco-REX - wrote
    "Door handles, though cool in your design, might require expensive custom work. The 02-07 Impreza door handles, though large-ish, aren't that ugly. Maybe it would be interesting to see what they would look like on the doors."

I tried this it didn't look good =(, I'm gonna start hunting some that might work. thanks for the suggestion it was great, I will try and post images when i get a chance.

cheers,

it's looking sweeter with every revision you make Rodney!

could a 2 piece top be able to be stored over the trans in the back?

if you raised the side view mirrors high onto the A pillar would that solve the blind spot caused by the rear fenders?

Post Thanks / Like
    wow... I will admit that I had pretty much ignored Rodneys model because I was not a fan of it but after looking at this orange version it is 1000x better than what I originally saw. This is so much more aggressive looking and it doesnt look as much like an alien vehicle but something I could actually picture on the road. Orange is also my favorite color so I have not been able to tell if that is swaying me a little as well haha... If FF had an orange mold for any of these cars id fall in love... sadly I dont expect it.. I am assuming we will get red as the base color.

Post Thanks / Like
    You see the subtle snake head? Venom indeed! Excellent work.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT CHANGE A THING! This looks amazing. Can't wait to see the 3D views.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. This design started out far from my top 5, and only after it made the podium did it start to grow on me. But this.. changes everything. The "cartoon" is dead, long live the HoF!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is excellent.

Can we see it soon with the top off and the windows rolled down?

What man doesn't like topless?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we see it soon with the top off and the windows rolled down?
    Looks like the glass is taller than the doors are. How's that gonna' work out?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I am really interested in seeing what the revised tail end looks like. This design is coming along very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers,

When this car was 1st posted I liked the wide body look a lot, but the front just didn't work for me.

Now the front looks really good!! Great work Rodney

I could be a smart *** here and do what a lot of others do by saying it looks like..... but I won't

As far as the blind spot with the rear fenders, easy fix, put the side mirrors high on the front pillars.

The back is good, but the exhaust will most likely never happen. Also have to figure out a place for a Lic. Plate. I have an idea for you Rodney, maybe I'll do something with it tonight to help you along.

This car just went to the top of my list, I would say tough call between Rodney's and Xabiers now.

Again Great work Rodney! keep at it.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 11-02-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i suggested the split targa and it still might fit up front if the radiator vent was way up front right behind the radiator and the 2 piece top stowed behind the vent. (or under it.)

please, please, please don't raise up the door upper line just so the rolled down window is fully enclosed. so what if a acouple of inches of glass is exposed? i fear your 3D coke bottle shape might be ruined.....but if your surfaces are parametric (they way they should be), you can go back and forth easily to show what happens.

i like the orange front best so far, except for the the double crease line in the hood. that middle creased area just busies up the front too much for me.
    Last edited by flyboy2160; 11-02-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling and addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rodney, can you raise the front splitter under the center inlet like the MKII GTM?

Have you changed the track yet?

Great work. I read every 818 thread, but mostly as a mod, and don't post much.

But I'm a definite fan of this design.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Kansas City-ish Kansas or, Oklahoma City depending, sheesh...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really thinking that this design is maturing... starting to look exotic in a mean "I haven't seen this done before" kind of way...

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney, I'd write a longer post of congratulations but I need to douse the flames off my head. I might not sleep until Dave and the gang commit to at least making a scale model of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    THIS^ has just tipped my scales to LOVE your design Rodney :~) Xabiers was my fav but this is all kinds of awesome that totally blows my mind... Thoughts on it...

1)Bonnet vent is smart, looks great! and very functional

2) door height must not radically change IMO. This is one of the parts that beautifully excentuate the hour glass shape.

3) Start doing changes for function.
    Bonnet vent was a good start but we will need real life exhaust options as well, mirrors will need moving and wheels/tires
    Air intakes for intercooler needs?

Simply Amazing work and now my top pick by a mile!

Post Thanks / Like
    the model is looking great! I'm a big fan of either front setup. It would be a serious shame if this design doesn't get the attention for the final design of the 818 that it deserves!
    FFR GTM and 818 "Lurker"
    1993 Mazda RX-7 R1 LS1/T56
    10.86 @ 129mph

Build & Race Compilation Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyojHnA1ok

Post Thanks / Like
    This is absolutely my favorite now. I have always liked the design, but these changes are exactly what it needed. I really like the radiator exit in the hood along with the rear side vents. Very subtle, yet very functional.

I can't wait to hear what Dave has to say when he sees this!

Good work!
    Steve
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney, I added the mirror on the pillar and added Direct Air Intake for the engine.

Just an Idea.

Venom Fright2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Rodney, I added the mirror on the pillar and added Direct Air Intake for the engine.

Just an Idea.

Venom Fright2.JPG
    What's wrong with the lower vents? I'm a huge fan of more air entering the engine bay, but those top vents don't flow.
    Weekends/track days
    Daily driver

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not so sure, I think it flows pretty well with that curve that Rodney added going towards the end of the car. I honestly didnt even notice the other vent before you mentioned it (due to being black on black)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm...much improvement. But I still think it's to kiddie for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, this and Vman's Vantage are tied in my mind. Before this car was too cartoonish, now it's modern and unique. Can't wait till Monday following SEMA. I figure by then Dave can get caught up and post something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an Idea for Exhaust (3" roughly), and at least here in the USA most states you have to have a Backup Light.

Since I don't know the scale of Rodney's, I just did a rough estimate on size.

The Lic. Plate is going to tough, best place might be in the black panel right above the lower mesh screen.
    Hard to get the size right without really knowing the scale. If I knew the size of the tail lights I would have something to go by.

Remember I just did the front pic and rear pic fast, but you get the idea.

Venom Rear 1A.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

This just went from the bottom of my list with the black car to my #1. WOW what a difference a day makes!!! From cartoon to supercar! If it can pass cars on the track that fast FF will rule the world, or at least the track!

Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post

Just an Idea.

Venom Fright2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    More I look at the rear, I am thinking the Lic. Plate would probably look better in the screen mesh area just under the black panel, that way you can put a Lic. Plate light from right up under the black panel, if that makes sense.....lol

I wish I had SolidWorks, and knew how to use it.......tough doing everything in Photoshop CS3........I just can't compete with these people that can...just thinking out loud....lol

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 11-02-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still not a big fan of the rear.. I am not sure it really flows well with the newly refined front end either.

Hopefully Rodney can put together something interesting. Vman is right about the Lic. Plate, reverse light, etc that would need to be taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    That rear shot has me worried. It looks like you'd be shoulder to shoulder with your passenger. What do you think?
    Weekends/track days
    Daily driver

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Rodney. By far the most appealing version of the Venom yet for me. Styling-wise your starting to convert me, but I still have buildability doubts.

I like the low window and hood lines, but wish the rear visability would match. The new hood vent is killer, and if properly designed on the underside will not need to be larger. I liked your "inverted U" for the under-door filler panel better than the current version, but that's a minor nit-pick - either is fine.

Looking forward to the 3d render of the Roadster version to better evaluate how the new facias integrate with the whole design. Just a few shots look good, but the integration will tell a more complete story. Hopefully you can also do a "real" rendered version with true WRX tire sizes and a properly scaled driver. Of course, Kachi's inevitable template overlay will help address my buildability concern.

All-in-all....Bravo! You've turned a critic of your first version "Overdrawn, cartoon caracature, kids toy" into a sceptical fan.

Post Thanks / Like

*picks self off floor*

I think Jessica Alba broke into my house and sexually assaulted me for the past 7 hours.

PS I agree with Steve, the fender vent is not necessary. 'Cold' air can be pulled from just about anywhere; as long as as the intake is sectioned off from engine bay air, it should be fine. At first glance, i wasnt sure about the mirror being on the A-piller, but it makes sense functionally, and actually looks good to me there now too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work Rodney, whilst I liked the rear before, I'm not sure how well it will flow with the new front (which I *really* like), maybe you have a plan?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast