Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quieter Muflers for 33?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quieter Muflers for 33?

Has anyone used a different muffler that is much quieter than the FFR ones. My wife's 33 is way too loud.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the opposite, I wish the FFR mufflers had a bit more rumble to them

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a post a while ago by another member looking for some quieter mufflers. There were some recommendations, not sure if the original poster ever replied back.

I love the FF5 mufflers, they sound great.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like mine when driving. at idle they are fine, but they kinda rattle and sound tinny driving. But I don't think I've heard many recommendations.. in any case I won't change for a while, when you're going fast enough the wind and road noise takes over
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have the stock mufflers. They are OK. I do not mind them, but they are not a great sound. I love the side pipes in my Cobra. I could listen to that music all day long. After a couple of years, I might think about getting the FlowMaster mufflers or just make my own. I have downloaded some University papers on mufflers and have been going over the math. If I get more time, I will see what I can learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Mechanical Engineer who worked in a muffler design/manufacturing plant back in the dark ages (early 70's), I would not recommend attempting to design your own muffler. Maybe with modern CFD software you could get something workable, but last time I looked it was still a problem that was too complex for the computational power available in a normal home or office computer. At least traditionally, muffler design was always part magic and part trial and error - even with the best software available. Personally, I would rather give my money to Flowmaster or Borla and spend my time elsewhere (but then, it would be an interesting intellectual exercise.) Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would also like to find quieter mufflers, my kit came with ball & socket pipe connectors that would need to be cut off and reused.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's too loud, you're too old.

I've tried several methods to quiet down my exhaust and finally got it to 95db (at 50') and gave up. Like Keith said, buy an engineered muffler if you can. I just can't find a store bought solution that'll work. So I wear ear plugs on the street.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    You could look in this old thread for some ideas: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...049#post456049

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, back in the day the fuel injected C2 Corvettes (63-67) had a terrific sound, at idle and under acceleration. That sound was locked in my memory.
    In the late seventies I bought a 74 Corvette (350ci)from a buddy living in the same condo with underground parking. I put the 63 mufflers on the 74, bolted right up. They sounded great, and John was astounded when he heard it in the garage.
    My mufflers were OEM and getting accurate replicas would be a challenge. They were medium size ovals with 2.5 inlet. I see them at various prices on the internet.
    Another feature would help with your existing mufflers. An "X" or "H" pipe connector near the collectors will take out harshness, lower DB and improve performance. The noise sounds like higher RPM frequency than it actually is.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I welded a pair of 30" Classic Chambered mufflers in place. Huge improvement! It decreased the overall sound by a large margin. And it also softened, or mellowed, the sound. Got rid of the tinny "blat" from the FFR mufflers. Looked better, too.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Having read some of the comments on the forum and having my Wife as a frequent rider used "turbo" mufflers when I did the exhaust. Its still very noisy inside, hard to even hear the radio.

If someone has used the 4 or 5 chambered Flow Masters that would be interesting to know about.

I have considered using small resonators where the pipes come down over the rear axle and rear exhaust is quieter than the side ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with good mufflers, it's still a noisy ride. Wind and tire noise will really wear you out. Do a search on "ear plugs".
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I added Hedman Hedders 17104 -Dual Resonator Exhaust Tip, helped some.
    Still looking for quieter mufflers.
    20211201_225449980_iOS.jpg