Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
Matteo did last year. My build is slowly crawling along; maybe this year?

Not really in CA; other states can be more difficult for non-replicas, though. For CA, you'll need one of the 500 SB100 permits granted each year. By registering by apparent bodywork, a Mk4 has to meet the emissions requirements of the original (1965), whereas since the 818 does not resemble any production auto, the emissions compliance year assigned is 1960. In either case, I believe all you need is a sealed crankcase (PCV valve, no open breathers); no catalytic converter or biannual smog checks required for either.
Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
I did over a year ago. For me it was a nightmare because of dmv employees. Every other step was pleasant and quite easy.
Thank you both!

I'm honestly torn between the MK4 and 818 as well as a non-FF car; and I figured that if a replica, like the MK4, was less of a hassle with the CA DMV, that I'd want to make that a consideration in the decision process. But, it sounds like in CA with the SB100, it really makes no difference...

Not wanting to take this thread off course, but if anyone is aware of a good discussion about the MK4 and 818, a comparison of sorts, pros/cons, etc, kindly direct me. I'll try searching again, but I imagine others too contemplated between the two. About an hour north of Laguna Seca, I'd be looking to take the ride of choice to that track several times a year. I'm inclined to think that the 818 with less mass, a lower center of gravity, will have better lateral grip and scoot around those turns more effectively... Just a hunch though. Please, PM me with a link or simply provide it here with no additional commentary so we don't take this off course any more than what I have by asking...

Thanks again for the info on the SB100.