Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Picking up my kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Picking up my kit?

Has anyone picked up a kit with an open trailer? I can borrow a trailer (free) drive Sarasota to Wareham and pick up my kit, '35 truck. I have a cap on the truck so some stuff would go in there the rest would be exposed. Stewart quoted $2000, I can do it for $1000 for gas, food and sleep in the truck plus 1 or 2 night in a motel.

Thoughts please.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    You are aware of the tax implications, right? A self-pickup means you pay Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax. Factory Five is required to collect it. A Stewart commercial delivery means you pay sales tax to your state whenever your local regulations require. Typically at time of title and license. With proof of payment, you would get credit for the tax already paid to Massachusetts. But you'd be out the difference if less than 6.25%. Plus the matter of different timing which might be a surprise. Just something to be aware of.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-03-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked mine up last August and they did not charge me tax, I paid it when I registered my car. Whether it was an oversite on their part or not I don't know. And Yes you can easily pick up your kt on and open trailer, and all 25 boxes will fit in an 8' pickup bed. trailer.png I set mine on four furniture blankets and strapped it down and down the road I went. No issues.

4. Thanks Chris Wingardh thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Wingardh, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem with an open trailer for the frame and body. You may want a good tarp for all the boxes in case you hit rain. Might also be the case if your frame is not powder coated by FFR. Otherwise, it's a full truckload. Not sure how the sales tax works when you are out of state. I'm in Mass so everytime I have picked up a kit they carged the sales tax. Going out of state may be different but I'm sure someone at FFR can set you straight.

6. Thanks Chris Wingardh thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Wingardh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys, I have a cap on the truck (RAM 1500) and chassie is powder coated. So maybe I just wrapp the stuff on the trailer with the "furniture plastic wrap".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    I picked mine up last August and they did not charge me tax, I paid it when I registered my car. Whether it was an oversite on their part or not I don't know...
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Not sure how the sales tax works when you are out of state. I'm in Mass so everytime I have picked up a kit they carged the sales tax. Going out of state may be different but I'm sure someone at FFR can set you straight.
    This was a big point of emphasis a couple years ago. So always surprised when it seems to be inconsistently enforced or there's confusion. Pick-ups at the factory are supposed to have MA sales tax collected no matter where the destination. Just like if you walked into any establishment you're required to pay local sales tax. Doesn't matter where you live. They were apparently reminded of this by the state. I'd be ready to pay it. If not, obviously will get paid sometime. Just not everyone is ready to pony up at the same time as having to pay for the kit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

9. Thanks Chris Wingardh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    This was a big point of emphasis a couple years ago. So always surprised when it seems to be inconsistently enforced or there's confusion. Pick-ups at the factory are supposed to have MA sales tax collected no matter where the destination. Just like if you walked into any establishment you're required to pay local sales tax. Doesn't matter where you live. They were apparently reminded of this by the state. I'd be ready to pay it. If not, obviously will get paid sometime. Just not everyone is ready to pony up at the same time as having to pay for the kit.
    Thanks Edward... Il be loaded with CC cards... :-)) Just in case....

Post Thanks / Like
    Sales tax in Mass is 6.25%

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as here. Thanks Cob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Sales tax in Mass is 6.25%
    Oops. Fixed it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you picked up your order, did they notify you with a time to pick up or give you any specific instructions? I'm supposed to pick up this Saturday but have no clue if there is a specific time I need to be there by.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up mine two years ago with a 16 foot uhaul worked great didnt pay tax there paid when i reg in NY

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg00 View Post
    When you picked up your order, did they notify you with a time to pick up or give you any specific instructions? I'm supposed to pick up this Saturday but have no clue if there is a specific time I need to be there by.
    Hi Chris - I received your email and am trying to get you an update on your pick-up. We're currently closed on Saturdays (view our updates hours here), so we are trying to schedule kit pick-ups during the week. Keep an eye on your email for my reply with more info on your pick-up.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog