Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
Designed for a world without driveways?
Not a car/project for me, but sales are what counts- so let's see what builders & buyers think.
I'm thinking that a home-built "supercar" may be past it's time. Modern (super)cars are just so much higher tech, design, and finish, that creating a fancy-looking car on a 60's-level platform seems kind of pointless to me.
DSR-3 Yes and no. You are right at 4.5" ground clearance driveways are a challenge. Some platforms here are 60's level, arguably the 818, 33, and GTM are more contemporary but not contemporary.
Chevrolet is/has been fond of compromise but the Corvette, not so much. A sage once told me it is easier to be a Mercedes engineer than a Chevy engineer. The Chevy engineer has to accomplish the same objectives at a reasonable cost. OK I get the differences.

The C5 (1997) cut-a-ways revealed aluminum structure and now more carbon fiber. Moreover the plastic bits are required to supplement structure and reduce weight. Steel space frames are no comparison.
There is also the economies of scale that adsorb high tech tooling cost and part cost.
BMW does aluminum chassis too. Ever have a BMW crash estimate done?
I feel your point on supercars is spot on. The persons looking for the latest technology are not shopping DIY cars, regardless the styling.
Compromises and technology-fails drive me nuts on the way-less-expensive 818. A series II MR2 is a formidable benchmark.

The niche is small, venturing too far from your "hook" is risky business.
jim