Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Ben & Peter's 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Ben & Peter's 65 Coupe

Hey All!

Been lurking for about 4 years now, and I finally pulled the trigger on a 65 Coupe Kit! ready for pickup 5/14/22, so hopefully a few weeks after that I'll take delivery. Here's the build plan:

Complete kit
    302 motor, rebuilding with a friend, about 300 HP. Will go with an EFI like the sniper or comparable
    T5 trans - Need to source this still
    Independent rear - Need to source
    We also went with AC, PS, windows and the sound insulation kit
    Will be titled in NY (we're on long island)
    The goal is just a cool car to cruise around town and maybe take a few small driving trips around the east coast.
    I don't think I'll be doing the body work/paint myself, but I haven't put that much thought into that part of the project yet.

A bit more about me: I'm Ben, 38 and I'll be building this with my son, Peter, who is currently 9. I never grew up with an interest in cars, I was more of a video game kid, but my son showed a real interest and aptitude for mechanics from a very early age. When he was about 5 we started playing with hobby RC cars. I always assumed mechanics was something beyond me that I could never do, but then I had to learn how to fix those little cars and it wasn't long before i said "wait a second, I bet a real car is the same thing with just larger more expensive parts" That search lead me to FFR, and I was infatuated from day 1. Around that time, however, I had also quit my job and started my own accounting firm, so I was working 50-70 hours per week all year round growing this business and didn't really have the time to commit to a new hobby. This past year the business has finally gotten to a good place and I've been able to get back to a little more regular schedule, so we decided it was time. Peter and I took a trip up to the showroom last November, and I attended build school this past June and it really gave me the confidence that yes this is something I can do with him.

Apart from the challenge and accomplishment of the build, one of the reasons I'm so excited about this seeing what a fantastic community of builders there is, and the support they all offer each other. I'm really excited to become a part of it, and one day give back.

There's a ton of content here, but if you know of any specific build threads or posts I should be checking out, please let me know. Thank you!

Ben & Peter

2. Likes Straversi, CaptB, BLUE KNIGHT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. You're in for an interesting challenge as a first build. But stick with it and you'll have an excellent result. We love our Coupe. Finishing up its second driving season. Build thread and video in my sig line below. Maybe you've already seen them. I've done several builds and did some customization. Certainly not necessary and go easy with that the first time around. Good luck!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Edward! I've seen your thread and had it recommended to me by a few people over in the FB groups. Thank you for all the work you put into documenting your builds!

5. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I built an early (one of the first) coupes with my high school age son -- Benjamin Sargent! Obviously not the same one. Good luck and I look forward to your journey through the build process. I have built 5 roadsters, a coupe, a GTM and currently own a 33HR.

Post Thanks / Like
    How cool is that! Thanks for sharing. My son is a bit younger, but I'm happy this build will be part of his formative years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum lots of good info here. I received my Gen 3 Coupe this past August and have been busy working on what I can while I wait for all the back order parts to arrive. My 347 Blueprint Engine package got here this week. I`m not ready to install it yet so I will just have to sit and look at it. spend your time between now and next May getting your build area setup and collecting any Tools you don`t already have.
    Enjoy
    Bud Campbell

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bud! Yeah I’ve been making a list of tools. We’re rebuilding an engine, trans and rear foot the car, so I’m expecting that to keep me busy until may! Are you doing a build thread?
    Building a 65 coupe with my 9 year old Son to help us both learn a thing or two about cars Link to build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Look in the Gallery Tab under Albums for B Campbell 65 Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Package

My Blueprint 347 Engine Package was delivered this week. I`m not ready to install it yet. will just have to sit and Drool over it for a while.Blueprint 347-3.jpgBlueprint 347-2.jpgBlueprint 347-4.jpg

12. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous!
    Building a 65 coupe with my 9 year old Son to help us both learn a thing or two about cars Link to build thread