Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: New member from Puyallup, WA

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Puyallup, WA

New guy here from Puyallup, WA
    Hello all,

I just placed my order a couple days ago! (Delivery for 10/22) Wife decided to let me have my Christmas presents for the next 30 years. I'm a 50 y/o guy who grew up in Fayette county, PA. Joined the USAF at the age of 17, as an enlisted guy I maintained weapons delivery systems and loaded missiles and bombs on F-15s and F-16s from 1989-2003. I earned my Master's in Physician Assistant (PA) studies in 2005 from the University of Nebraska College of Medicine and, after 6 years in Family Medicine, a fellowship in Orthopedic Surgery in 2012. I worked in medicine until my retirement in 2016. Currently working here as an orthopedic Surgery PA. I worked on cars since I was 7 y/o with my professional mechanic Dad. I've rebuilt a 1967 VW bug (Baja); complete rotisserie restoration making my own wiring harness etc.. I've wanted a '67 Camaro and a '65 Cobra since I was in 7th grade. I currently have a '67 Camaro RS which is 90% in my eyes, 99% in other's eyes. It's a Resto-Mod, fuel injected 427 BBC, 5-speed Tremec, 4 wheel discs, 15" Cragars and numerous upgrades throughout. The car has an all stock appearance inside and out. I bought the car in 2016 and enjoyed getting back to my mechanical background while I made improvements. While I really enjoy the car, I didn't restore it or build it and it doesn't come close to giving me the that feeling I had when I finished my Baja Bug and drove it to work as a DD for the next 3-4 years. So....Building a FFR Roadster seems like a perfect project!! I've spent the past few months going through many build threads learning something from every thread I opened and can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciate the information you share. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to someone along the way to the completion of my project.

2. Likes Kurk818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and let the fun begin. I lived/worked in Puyallup most of my career and moved south after retiring (my children still live in your area).

Look forward to following your build.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I left a comment on this thread this AM as I just made a correction to it, why did several comments disappear ? Any way I had asked if Puyallip Dragway was still active, but since then I have discovered it stopped in 1978.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome To the journey. I am up in Bothell building a MK4 as well now. With your background, this will be right up your alley. So what options are you starting with on the kit order?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on ordering your MK4! I’m in Edgewood so just a couple miles away. I ordered my MK4 at the end of November. FFR says it should be ready August 6th so I’m guessing it should arrive here early September.

My first post too. Woohoo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barwickad View Post
    Congratulations on ordering your MK4! I’m in Edgewood so just a couple miles away. I ordered my MK4 at the end of November. FFR says it should be ready August 6th so I’m guessing it should arrive here early September.

My first post too. Woohoo.
    Welcome as well Barwickad!

Post Thanks / Like
    At D Stand -
    So far...
    Complete kit, powder coat, wind wings, sun visors, wipers, heater/defroster, power steering, leather seats, polished SS pipes, LS mounts, in tank fuel pump for EFI, 17" Halibrands, and recently decided - IRS. I'm planning on a Blueprint LS376/530hp with a Tremec TKX. I'm hoping to find someone's build thread using the same engine/tranny.
    Needed to order: Drop trunk, cubby for between seats, windshield mounted rearview mirror, cupholders, and the list keeps growing...
    Have you happened to find anyone in our area for the paintwork? Considering sending to CA with one of the infamous body and paint artists mentioned in threads. What options are you going with? How far along are you on the build? I'm hoping to find some build threads with folks using the same engine/tranny combo to see if there is any significant "extra work" to use this combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should definitely go over “go dad go” build thread. He did the Chevy thing. Not a TKX but does talk about header issues which I think might be the only real challenge from what I have heard. As for that, the owner of gas-n has a set of adjustable header jigs that he sends you to fit in the car then you send it back and he makes you a perfect fitting headers. As for me, I bought someone else’s project about 3 years ago. It has a 3-link, 427w, TKO-600, leather roadster seats and all of the accessories from F5. I have not found a painter locally and most guys around hear say send it to California, you won’t be disappointed. From my research, the painter really final fitting the gaps, adjusting doors, taking it all apart, painting, re-assembling, so you really want to take it to someone that knows there’s cars. The few folks that people recommend are also owners of these cars and really know what they are doing. To add to your shopping list, most guys buy the forward battery box from Breeze. I did the dropped battery box in the trunk and although gets it out of the way, looks to be terrible for maintenance later.. I also recommend the mechanical throttle linkage as well.

10. Thanks Peterdk1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I placed my order maybe 10 days before you, and the delivery date I received was 5 weeks earlier (Sept 10). The orders must be pouring in!

Exciting, isn't it?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I just moved to Bremerton and dropped the car in Redding for paint. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.
    FFR Roadster: Received 11/18/19: BluePrint 427w, TKO600, Glenn's performance fuel system, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Sniper XFlow and many more

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Qballz, I'm over in Spanaway. There are several in your area. I have a MK3.1 347. You're welcome to stop by and take a look/ride. Retired AF Chief. Welcome to the madness.

If you are on Facebook think about joining the NW Club Cobra group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/705376646288596).
    Last edited by bsnyder; 12-31-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
    Hey Qballz, I'm over in Spanaway. There are several in your area. I have a MK3.1 347. You're welcome to stop by and take a look/ride. Retired AF Chief. Welcome to the madness.

If you are on Facebook think about joining the NW Club Cobra group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/705376646288596).
    I'll likely take you up on that offer once the weather warms a little. I just got big surprise when I went to order my engine this morning...Blueprint Engines raised all prices a little over 15% across the board! My engine/tranny package was $16,890 yesterday and is now $19,699. Uggghhh.... Decisions, decisions... Not sure if I'm going to continue the LS376 route or go with something else. Really wanted the LS reliability and bulletproof internals...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick7405 View Post
    Welcome, I just moved to Bremerton and dropped the car in Redding for paint. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.
    Do you happen to know of any builds using the LS 376?? I've searched, and I'll continue to search, the build threads but can't find anyone that used the LS 376 in a roadster. I'm very likely to also have my paint work completed in CA. I can't imagine turning the body and paint over to someone with no experience with the FFR roadster and the price associated with doing business in WA state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I think I placed my order maybe 10 days before you, and the delivery date I received was 5 weeks earlier (Sept 10). The orders must be pouring in!

Exciting, isn't it?!
    I actually asked for the delivery to be mid Oct '22. Worked better for my schedule and I figured it might give them the needed time to deliver a mostly complete package without as many BO'd items. Where are you located Alec?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The LS engines are a little different for a Cobra. Usually (originally) they are Ford engines. Have you thought about a coyote engine. Several guys in the local area have them and love them. Also Scotty at Parkland Auto Machine may be able to help you. He is a great person to provide advice and great quality hot engines for your Cobra. When the weather improves drop me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
    The LS engines are a little different for a Cobra. Usually (originally) they are Ford engines. Have you thought about a coyote engine. Several guys in the local area have them and love them. Also Scotty at Parkland Auto Machine may be able to help you. He is a great person to provide advice and great quality hot engines for your Cobra. When the weather improves drop me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.
    I have considered the Coyote but prefer the LS376. I'll have to look into Parkland Auto Machine to see what they have to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Stand View Post
    Welcome as well Barwickad!

Congrats to you as well! What options and running gear are you planning on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Qballz View Post
    Congrats to you as well! What options and running gear are you planning on?
    I ordered a complete kit with IRS, Wilwood and 18” Wheels. After many sleepless nights decided to go with a Coyote and TKX. I really like the old school look but felt the Coyote was better suited to my vision and purpose for the finished car.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barwickad View Post
    I ordered a complete kit with IRS, Wilwood and 18” Wheels. After many sleepless nights decided to go with a Coyote and TKX. I really like the old school look but felt the Coyote was better suited to my vision and purpose for the finished car.

Andy
    I've been going back and fourth on the 17" vs 18" wheels and think I've finally decided on the 18". Still need to finalize order from when I first placed it. Considered a different running get but decided I'll stick with LS3 for the same reasons. HP per $ and reliability with tame town street manners. Need to ask some questions about the EFI in tank fuel pump (capabilities) as I need a steady 60 psi to feed this LS3.

Post Thanks / Like
    “ HP per $ and reliability with tame town street manners”.

Exactly. That was the deciding factor for me as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't check in much as I have an airplane build going. It's great to see some new builds going in the area. Bruce, good to see you active on the forum and the cruise down 101 with all the cobra guys was one of the best memories with cobras involved. D Stand, sorry I haven't made it up that way to get you some incentive to keep going. These are incredible cars and community. We will have to have a run up to visit you to see your progress some time soon. Talking about engine choices and increase on prices. Got in on and engine buy for my plane at the last minute before the price increase at the end of 2020. Still the little 141 hp Rotax set me back 43 grand for that power plant.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

24. Likes bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jim, How's that plane coming along? Looking forward to some better weather so we can get out and drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got back after a while of taking care of my mom.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

27. Likes bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Couple pics

Kitfox
    Attached Images Attached Images

29. Likes bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Qballz, I am helping a guy that is around here and doing a cobra build at the Auburn Airport. Just had his first start and is making good progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Qballz, I am helping a guy that is around here and doing a cobra build at the Auburn Airport. Just had his first start and is making good progress.
    That's good to hear. I was worried that there weren't many people very active in the PNW threads. I managed to get my LS376 - 530/495 and TKX from BPE for the 2021 price. Great customer service is all I can layabout them right now. Very happy to have it ordered and know I won't be waiting for the engine when I get to a point that I'm ready for it. What's the Auburn airport guy putting in for a running gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all, just got the body on for the last time and wanted to offer my body buck and lifting frame to anyone who needs one.
    Nothing special, but with plywood and such getting harder to source, would rather donate it to another builder than scrap it. The lifting frame works with an engine hoist for one person ops. My build is a 2019 mk4 with coyote / tko and irs.
    Am retired and have a flexible sched. Call or txt me @ 425-512-3993 Andy Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Davis View Post
    Hello all, just got the body on for the last time and wanted to offer my body buck and lifting frame to anyone who needs one.
    Nothing special, but with plywood and such getting harder to source, would rather donate it to another builder than scrap it. The lifting frame works with an engine hoist for one person ops. My build is a 2019 mk4 with coyote / tko and irs.
    Am retired and have a flexible sched. Call or txt me @ 425-512-3993 Andy Davis
    I texted you - I'm definitely interested in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replied to the original thread - not sure what happened to it. I'm in Olalla - between Port Orchard and Gig Harbor. Go cart last weekend and hope to have body on in 2 weeks. You are welcome to come over see a build with body off. RR20AC, PAUL2STL and BSNYDER are great resources with great rides. Have them come over for a drive - you will be thrilled. Reach out and enjoy the build - don't rush it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdutton11 View Post
    I replied to the original thread - not sure what happened to it. I'm in Olalla - between Port Orchard and Gig Harbor. Go cart last weekend and hope to have body on in 2 weeks. You are welcome to come over see a build with body off. RR20AC, PAUL2STL and BSNYDER are great resources with great rides. Have them come over for a drive - you will be thrilled. Reach out and enjoy the build - don't rush it
    Hey there mdutton11, Thanks for reposting to this thread. I saw your posts concerning WA body/paint and realized that we have yet another builder from the very local area. l'm pleasantly surprised to see so many local builders. My "kit" will be delivered Oct '22ish and I'll certainly be reaching out for some pointers as the build progresses. What are you using for a running gear? I've got a LS376 530/495 with TKX and IRS. I'm really hoping to find someone who has built this exact combo so I can pick their brain if I get stuck on running gear specific issues. I got to see another local build this past weekend when I picked up a body buck and lifting frame from Andrew Davis. He's progressing well and ready for paint. That Coyote engine of his FILLS that engine bay! I'm on-call this weekend but definitely interested in checking out your go-cart before the body goes on.

36. Likes Andrew Davis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Qballz,

Apologies if you already know this but, the guy who owns the youtube channel "amateur hour garage" is doing a LS roadster build and I think he is from the Tacoma area. Not sure if he is on this forum or not. Check out his youtube channel, its pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0E5IbmYEuU

-Shakey

Post Thanks / Like
    He is a member of the forum. mcannon12 from Denver CO.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Five-Roadster
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    His youtube channel says he is from Normandy Park, WA. That's not too far from Puyallup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to send him a PM and ask if he's still here in Normandy park or not. I've been following his build to pick up anything I can from it. His take on the fuel pump set up was certainly helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build is nothing like yours - Built (from the junkyard) 302 everything internal new and oversized, TKO 500 with 3 link. Shoot me a pm if you want to check it out. People on this forum will answer any question you could ever come up with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Don't check in much as I have an airplane build going. It's great to see some new builds going in the area. Bruce, good to see you active on the forum and the cruise down 101 with all the cobra guys was one of the best memories with cobras involved. D Stand, sorry I haven't made it up that way to get you some incentive to keep going. These are incredible cars and community. We will have to have a run up to visit you to see your progress some time soon. Talking about engine choices and increase on prices. Got in on and engine buy for my plane at the last minute before the price increase at the end of 2020. Still the little 141 hp Rotax set me back 43 grand for that power plant.
    RR20AC - no worries on not visiting yet. It was right at the start of COVID. Glad to hear you are making progress on your plane. I have been slowly working away at mine and would still like to check yours out.

43. Likes RR20AC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To Qballz and Barwickad my 33 should be completed on the 27th of august and supposedly delivered 2-3 weeks later =mid sept. What are the odds that delivery on all three will be done at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Racyroy. Congratulations on your upcoming delivery! My roadster arrived last Thursday, finished inventory over the weekend. I have some friends coming over this evening to load the body onto the body buck that I picked up from Qballz. Steward transportation was great, the offload process was easy. PM me if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    excellent news on your delivery. sounds like inventory wasn't too difficult, were you missing a lot of parts? hopefully not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m retired AF as well and I’m installing an LS with TKX transmission. If you’re having BluePrint motors build your engine then I’m sure they’ll know what oil pan and accessory drive to use. I went with a local builder and I had to replace the oil pan and relocate the power steering pump. There are a lot of engine builders out there so don’t be afraid to shop around. If you need any help or have questions about the LS install feel free to ask?