FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another LS in a Roadster. Carpet is in! The body is next.

Post Thanks / Like

Just another LS in a Roadster. Carpet is in! The body is next.

Hello ALL!

I've been dreaming about building a roadster since the introduction of the MK II. I finally pulled the trigger in July and my kit arrives early next month. A little about myself. Degree in electronic engineering, followed by 20 years in the Air Force as an aircraft electrical and environmental systems craftsman. I retired in 2008 at the age of 44. I was always interested in machining work so I took a part time job at a local machine shop 5 years ago and I've been doing that ever since. I really enjoy building stuff and I can't believe they pay me to make parts.

Anyway, here's my planned build so far:

MK 4 complete kit
    Body cutouts
    IRS rear end
    Powder coated chassis
    LS 1 5.3L all aluminum engine with FiTech FI system
    Tremec TKX 5 speed with a Quick Time bellhousing
    Power steering
    Hydraulic clutch
    Brakes "????"
    Wheels and tires "????"

I'm not looking to recreate a cobra. I want to build a hotrod that just happens to look like a cobra. I'm blacking out all the chrome and going with non-traditional wheels.

I purchased a complete rear end from a 2019 Mustang GT and that provided all the non kit items for the back end of the car including stock GT brakes and rotors. I purchased a motor from a local builder that specializes in GM motors and I ordered the trans, clutch, bellhousing from Forte's parts connection.

The photos will show you my progress so far. The first motor pick is how I received it from the builder and the rest show the changes I made. Upgraded the valve covers and creakoted them burnt bronze. The accessory drive system was cerakoted black to go with the blackout theme.

A big thanks to everyone that has posted their build, the info is very beneficial to all of us first time builders.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Frahm; 04-10-2024 at 06:47 PM.

2. Likes 460.465USMC, WIS89, BLUE KNIGHT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't picked a color or scheme yet but I'm leaning towards the new Mustang Mach 1 color scheme. The wheels will be mat or burnt bronze. It'll have a single stripe with a bronze pin-stripe. However, all of this is subject to change once I'm actually ready to paint.

4. Likes RR20AC, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a solid plan. Have you ironed out your header solution?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard Fellow Dark Sider!

The LS platform is a fantastic starting point, but you already knew that.
    Consider putting your battery up front since that all aluminum LS is so light.
    Remember that these cars have a rearward weight bias much like the Porsche 911 RWD.
    Also consider upgrading the front brakes to the Cobra Style brakes from the earlier generation.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

Possible Front Brake Option For Cobra OE Style 13" System:
    https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300KB/1994...ront-Brake-Kit
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-23-2022 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your upcoming build. I too decided to go with an LS engine. My kit is scheduled to arrive some time in Oct '22. BPE LS3 530/495 with TKX should arrive around July '22. Currently sourcing wheels and all the miscellaneous items I plan on including. Look forward to watching your build progress.

8. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim! Great to see you started a build thread. Subscribed! Also, really good to have another F5 builder in the neighborhood. You’re building what I wish I had the skill and cojones to pull off. Awesome!

Give me a ring when your delivery arrives. I’m happy to come over and help you unload everything.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

10. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are the specs inside the engine? Id be a little bit weary of an engine builder that paints aluminum blocks to make them look more aluminum, hopefully your guy just does that for kicks

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine is sexy, looks awesome. My build plan was very similar in terms of fit and finish. Welcome aboard
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

13. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Looks like a solid plan. Have you ironed out your header solution?
    I believe the full kit includes LS headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome Aboard Fellow Dark Sider!

The LS platform is a fantastic starting point, but you already knew that.
    Consider putting your battery up front since that all aluminum LS is so light.
    Remember that these cars have a rearward weight bias much like the Porsche 911 RWD.
    Also consider upgrading the front brakes to the Cobra Style brakes from the earlier generation.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

Possible Front Brake Option For Cobra OE Style 13" System:
    https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300KB/1994...ront-Brake-Kit

I will relocate the battery up front for weight and ease of wiring. I have a set of four piston calipers for the front that came off a Mustang GT but I’m not sure they will fit. I’ll look into it once the car is here. I haven’t ruled out the Willwood option because I really like the look but not so much the price and I think it’s over kill for a car that light.

Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Hey Jim! Great to see you started a build thread. Subscribed! Also, really good to have another F5 builder in the neighborhood. You’re building what I wish I had the skill and cojones to pull off. Awesome!

Give me a ring when your delivery arrives. I’m happy to come over and help you unload everything.
    Your on! You have about two weeks to change your number!

17. Likes 460.465USMC, WIS89, WCPaynter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    What are the specs inside the engine? Id be a little bit weary of an engine builder that paints aluminum blocks to make them look more aluminum, hopefully your guy just does that for kicks
    The paint was a no cost option and I have the complete build sheet. Adding paint could be a mistake if it starts to peel and chip off. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
    The paint was a no cost option and I have the complete build sheet. Adding paint could be a mistake if it starts to peel and chip off. Time will tell.
    Yeah sorry I was most curious about the build specs since that intake is going to want to be paired with a serious cam and headwork for high rpm so I was curious what kind of animal you had assembled there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    Yeah sorry I was most curious about the build specs since that intake is going to want to be paired with a serious cam and headwork for high rpm so I was curious what kind of animal you had assembled there.
    The shop I bought the engine from “The Hot Rod Company” has been building engines for years and they ship them all over the US and Europe. They do all there own machine work. They port and polish heads with a five axis CNC machine and they balance and blue print each engine. They even balanced my crank with the flywheel. I told them what I wanted and they built it. I on the other hand haven’t built an engine in the last 28 years and then it was a 327 SBC. I’m relying on them to get it right. However, if there is an issue they are just on the other side of town.

I’ll post the spec sheet when I get a chance.

So far the most disappointing part of this journey has been the fact that a lot of the bits and pieces I purchased for this build come from China. Even brand name parts like AC Delco and GM. Do we make anything in this country anymore?

I got a call from Stewart Transport and they told me to call them March 1st for an update on my delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know if this will be a build thread or a place to consolidate all my pleas for help? Either way, I will post some progress shots from time to time and post anything that seems unusual from other builds. Oh, and the kit arrives tomorrow morning.

22. Likes Ted G, Qballz, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked my kit up yesterday in Montana and the Stewart driver (awesome guy!) left at 815am heading towards you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red.barchetta View Post
    Picked my kit up yesterday in Montana and the Stewart driver (awesome guy!) left at 815am heading towards you!
    Awesome! Enjoy your build. I have my first two boxes inventoried, on to the next 23.

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster build Day 1

Let the inventory begin.

26. Likes egchewy79, 460.465USMC, WIS89, WCPaynter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome to see others in this community into giant scale RC as well!

Congrats and good luck with the inventory. I am starting that today

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red.barchetta View Post
    Awesome to see others in this community into giant scale RC as well!

Congrats and good luck with the inventory. I am starting that today
    That’s a Wilga that I built for a friend. I’m currently working on a 165” Hanger 9 Carbon Cub FX3 for myself. That plane is a monster.

I’ve noticed a lot of build thread photos with RC planes in the background. It’s a common theme amongst kit car builders.

My inventory is done. I have a few items missing and a few extra items that I’ll need to return, i.e. Wilwood peddle assembly. I guess they thought I wanted the passenger to have a set of peddles too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The build is underway. Like many other's, I have a page and a half of POL items, so I'm working on five or six different things at once. Work until you need a missing part and then start on something else.

P1030560.JPGP1030561.JPG
    I was able to borrow a body buck from another local builder and I added two shelves below the body to store the aluminum. This helps out a lot when working in a smallish garage.

P1030565.JPGP1030567.JPGP1030551.JPGP1030550.JPG
    I spent some extra time deburring all the holes in the aluminum and body before installing the panels. I'm using a Noga deburring tool which makes quick work of it.

P1030545.JPGP1030546.JPG
    I've read a number of threads that mentioned shortening the aft upper turnbuckle on the front upper control arms. I decided to do this as well. I took an 1/8" off each end and I didn't need to cut the rod ends, they didn't bottom out. I used my mini bench lathe and took minor cuts each pass.

I'm installing a hydraulic clutch and I haven't found any info on the install of the master cylinder. I assume it's just like the brake cylinders? Remove 5/8" from the threaded rod and install?

On to the next page!
    Last edited by Jim Frahm; 03-16-2022 at 05:18 PM.

30. Likes 460.465USMC, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    P1030543.JPGP1030542.JPG

When installing the drive shaft adaptor I had two bolts that needed to go on a diet. A quick turn on the lathe and they fit perfectly.

P1030557.JPGP1030558.JPG

I finally found a good use for this pole that sit's in front of the air handler in my garage. I made a vise mount out of a tube that fit over the existing tube. It works great and didn't take up any bench space.
    Last edited by Jim Frahm; 03-17-2022 at 12:19 AM.

32. Likes 460.465USMC, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim. The attachments in your second post today (#22) don't go anywhere. May need to double check your links.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

34. Thanks Jim Frahm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting the fuel system and brakes sorted out. The front brake lines are in and the fuel tank and fuel filter/regulator are in. I went with a in tank fuel pump from Aeromotive and the fuel pressure regulator is from a corvette. I will also run the proper fuel filter near the engine. 96869EAD-A1A9-4C52-84E1-D0DA954FEBA8.jpg6B8DC5C9-D22F-4C39-879B-3371251A6933.jpg

The front brakes were easy enough. As you can see I used a standard brake t-fitting versus the one supplied with the kit. This way the brake lines lay closer to the f panel. I will do the same thing in the back. I also plan on using a one piece brake line from the master cylinder to the t-fitting in the back.

B0AB0FC7-0E56-47EF-B66F-B5AEA61AA2D5.jpg1FEAA058-620F-4FC1-B2DB-71A92C8450DB.jpeg1882C597-272E-4081-B689-1F3F1A21A9C3.jpeg

I’m missing a lot of parts so I can’t finish the front or rear suspension or the steering so I’m going to install the motor and trans next so i can sort out the wiring and cooling system. I’ll pull the motor/trans once the wiring and cooling are sorted and then install the drivers side, inside panel, clutch and brake reservoirs, and the remaining engine bay items.

36. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, you’re clicking right along, making good progress. Nice choice on the T-fitting — it really snugs the break line in close.

If you can use a grunt to push/pull on your drivetrain install, don’t hesitate to give me a call.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    After making lifting brackets that mount on the exhaust ports and making spreader bars for the load leveler chains, the engine install was nice and easy for a one man show.

B3880EB2-8E8C-4FFD-87A7-D43A30EC4D8D.jpegD7202913-4855-4B78-B2DF-3A6DDEF92FFA.jpgDBA6130C-0803-47D7-822E-2AABEC29B729.jpeg60652B48-C585-4392-B5FE-9E5BACD26205.jpg96E9F399-C5F5-4C59-8968-9B0A57296A54.jpeg

Now I can work out the trans mount and then onto the forward firewall from FFMetal followed by the wiring harness (my favorite part).

39. Likes WIS89, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice setup you made on the spreader bars and leveler chains! Wow. You’re making this look too easy.

P.S. Anyone who looks forward to the wiring task should consider a psychological evaluation. Just kidding. All in all I enjoyed the wiring as well…but was glad when it was over (well, almost over).
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    What motor mounts are you using? Have any close up photos of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    What motor mounts are you using? Have any close up photos of them?
    They were supplied with the kit for an LS motor. They include a spacer/adaptor plate and the mount itself.

B43AD166-D119-4032-A457-44A8C63954A4.jpeg4F1D9083-E270-415C-9F88-5A75FEDC7278.jpeg

43. Thanks WCPaynter thanked for this post
    Likes WCPaynter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice setup you made on the spreader bars and leveler chains! Wow. You’re making this look too easy.

P.S. Anyone who looks forward to the wiring task should consider a psychological evaluation. Just kidding. All in all I enjoyed the wiring as well…but was glad when it was over (well, almost over).
    Psychologist are standing by! The wiring will be easy, the integration of the FiTech EFI with the FFR harness maybe another story. Lots of reading to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love a pic from above to see the clearance from the FFR LS header to the driver's footbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mosh1999 View Post
    I would love a pic from above to see the clearance from the FFR LS header to the driver's footbox.
    Here you go. Here’s the drivers and passengers sides.

678DD104-5B26-4BD3-A089-D28823FF9AC6.jpeg32812855-909E-40EF-B657-EA0256975765.jpeg

47. Thanks BLUE KNIGHT thanked for this post
    Likes BLUE KNIGHT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
    They were supplied with the kit for an LS motor. They include a spacer/adaptor plate and the mount itself.

B43AD166-D119-4032-A457-44A8C63954A4.jpeg4F1D9083-E270-415C-9F88-5A75FEDC7278.jpeg
    Thanks. Do the headers include an O2 bung?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Do the headers include an O2 bung?
    Yes, on both sides. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box and saw them already installed. Thank you FFR!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's time to tackle the wiring. Having been an aircraft electrician in the Air Force, the wiring doesn’t scare me, however, that doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing this go around. The combination of a modern engine with EFI does complicate things a bit mainly because you have two ways of doing some tasks with the engine. After doing some reading it seams like the smart choice is to have the engine ECU handle the fan, fuel pump, and some system monitoring while the car harness handles the lighting, starting, and other engine monitoring. With that in mind, I decided to open up the harness and remove everything that’s not needed and also replace all the plastic wire loam with the split mess loam. I’m also replacing all or most of the bulky plugs with terminal blocks.

Power for the fuel pump will come from the EFI control system but the ground will still run through the inertia switch.

B278EABF-98A1-408E-A4E8-57282E6E85AF.jpeg214D5A7B-2628-45DF-BBCD-21EA2356A6F5.jpeg3ED0ECA0-0BCF-4172-B463-E67BA751F149.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I see your in the Spokane area, my uncle lives up in Spokane and my wife works in Redmond, WA. I spend quite a bit of time up there... summers are the best in WA and what a great area to have a roadster would be a blast to drive there.

Nice looking build! keep up the nice work. really enjoying following your journey.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Next time you visit your uncle in Spokane feel free to give me a call, Travis. I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee, or your favorite adult beverage. Even better, if you have time, I’d love to have you come by and give me some tips on my build.
    Chris

54. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next time you visit your uncle in Spokane feel free to give me a call, Travis. I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee, or your favorite adult beverage. Even better, if you have time, I’d love to have you come by and give me some tips on my build.
    Will definitely let you know when I’m up there!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Newbie here. Kit is on order and I have about 8 months to get my engine/trans/diff sorted.
    Nice build progress and excellent pics. What oil pan in on your LS and would you have any pics of the fitment around the pan?
    Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast