Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Quick jacks in Washington

Post Thanks / Like

Quick jacks in Washington

Are quick jacks street legal in WA state? I'm thinking they are but don't know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question, I haven't a clue. Not even sure who to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    My question is how would they know?
    I don't think they would know what they are looking at anyway

4. Likes Lickity-Split liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Perfectly legal. No inspection in Washington State to get your car registered and licensed for the road.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

6. Likes cgundermann, bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfectly legal as Jim pointed out. Retired from the Washington State Patrol (WSP) as an Assistant Chief during my MK4 build and for obvious reasons did a lot of research. Back in the day, the WSP did a thorough inspection upon licensing. Department of Licensing (DOL) took over that functionality for revenue purposes and now it's so simple, it embarrassing - nothing is visually checked.

Now it's always possible some law enforcement officer might try to pull up some obscure WAC and apply it, but it won't stick...

You have no worries.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 02-21-2022 at 07:38 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

8. Thanks Andrew Davis thanked for this post
    Likes Andrew Davis, bsnyder, Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the replies. You've put my fears to rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Perfectly legal. No inspection in Washington State to get your car registered and licensed for the road.
    Not to highjack this post but, I am being told that I need a WSP inspection before registration. Any words of wisdom from those that have gone through this would be appreciated..

Post Thanks / Like
    D Stand,
    from a friend who recently got his mk4 licensed, they are mostly concerned with IDing stolen parts. Engines and trans etc. And, of course, collecting all taxes. These taxes can be quite a shock if you aren't expecting them. Just an FYI.
    Andy Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Stand View Post
    Not to highjack this post but, I am being told that I need a WSP inspection before registration. Any words of wisdom from those that have gone through this would be appreciated..
    The WSP use to have that responsibility of doing an inspection and essentially, it was to check for any stolen parts. The Department of Licensing (by statute) now licenses component cars. *All you have to do is bring in the MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) and JUST your kit price from FFR (DOL does not look at engine or transmission serial #s). You will simply pay taxes for the FFR kit price.

Some DOL offices are more familiar with the process. The Parkland DOL has licensed several FFR kits without any drama - you do not even need to bring the car in...

You can PM me and I can help you navigate this process...

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 02-24-2022 at 01:46 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

13. Likes RR20AC, Qballz, Andrew Davis, bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Would like to know who told you that. Obviously they don't know about the hotrod bill that was passed in Washington state which make it all easier for us. I know that was why Chris got on board to build a cobra and myself too.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

15. Likes cgundermann, Paul2STL, bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Jim said is true. I went through the process in late 2018 and another FFR builder just got his titled as a 1965 and no inspection just a few weeks ago in Auburn.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

17. Likes cgundermann, Qballz, bsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the advise. I got this information from the Bothell (Worthington) licensing office..

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my roadster registered last week! Thanks much to all that gave input. Chris, thanks for the tip about April, down at the Parkland DOL, she was great to deal with. The only thing she needed except for receipts was a certified scale weight slip.
    Last edited by D Stand; 04-14-2023 at 10:42 PM.

21. Likes bsnyder, RR20AC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    The WSP use to have that responsibility of doing an inspection and essentially, it was to check for any stolen parts. The Department of Licensing (by statute) now licenses component cars. *All you have to do is bring in the MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) and JUST your kit price from FFR (DOL does not look at engine or transmission serial #s). You will simply pay taxes for the FFR kit price.

Some DOL offices are more familiar with the process. The Parkland DOL has licensed several FFR kits without any drama - you do not even need to bring the car in...

You can PM me and I can help you navigate this process...

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I was also told by my north Spokane licensing office to get an inspection by WSP before they will issue title, etc. I hope to complete the licensing process this year. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain on the process. I'll send you a PM.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Registering a Roadster in Washington State

Quote Originally Posted by D Stand View Post
    I got my roadster registered last week! Thanks much to all that gave input. Chris, thanks for the tip about April, down at the Parkland DOL, she was great to deal with. The only thing she needed except for receipts was a certified scale weight slip.
    I figured I could revive this thread because it was helpful to me and I have some information to add. I successfully registered my roadster on Tuesday 4/23/24. I live in Seattle but drove to Parkland and found that April no longer works there. The current staff was clueless and insisted that a WSP inspection was required. Not being one to give up, I drove to Canyon Park Licensing in Bothell where it was no problem. No WSP inspection and taxed on cost of FFR kit. It licensed as a '65 with a 1965 plate and no need to pay for yearly tabs. The chassis number is my VIN. Didn't need to ask or argue with them to do this I just laid the paperwork and plate on the counter while they were working and they understood what I intended. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. Should have insurance by the end of the day and I'm ready to graduate my build.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news! I'm a ways out but it's nice to know it's still possible without a lot of hassle.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add my experience on licensing in WA. I also went to the Parkland office. They were super helpful and i left the office with all my completed paperwork in hand 20 minutes later. No WA state inspection required, or so I was told. I received my title a few weeks later in the mail. Titled as a 65 Shelby Replica. Well that sure was easy!

Not so fast. About 4 months later I get a letter from the DOL folks who apparently audit specialty title applications. My title has been cancelled due to a few red flags. The major one being no WSP inspection. The cars in paint now but once its done i’ll need to start the whole process over again. Not to mention getting a WSP inspection slot on the west side is next to impossible due to to all the inspection stations being grossly understaffed. I was told by the Parkland folks it can take a year to get a slot in the Seattle/Tacoma metro area.
    MK4 Complete Kit. Gen3 Coyote, TKX, IRS. Wilwoods, Forgeline Wheels.
    Ordered 11/29/21. Kit received 8/18/22. First start 6/22/23.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a ways away from licensing, but these stories of conflicting info seem to be the norm in this state. I've had trouble registering an old truck at one location, while having no issues at another. I'll call ahead and check the web for requirements and then once I go in, I'm told I need more forms. I think there are so many laws and requirements in Washington that even the people in the satellite offices don't know what to do. Frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wizbangdoodle, I'm convinced the WA state process for KITV vehicles has recently changed. I believe any licensing office that processes a title without a WSP inspection and other required paperwork (CA emission compliance) is at risk of getting the title kicked back. I started the KITV title/registration process in late July 2023, and finally received my title last month. I worked with two separate licensing offices, several phone calls with my local county licensing office, as well as phone calls with the DOL state office in Olympia.

Here are some of the key RCWs for your reference:

Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Wizbangdoodle, I'm convinced the WA state process for KITV vehicles has recently changed. I believe any licensing office that processes a title without a WSP inspection and other required paperwork (CA emission compliance) is at risk of getting the title kicked back. I started the KITV title/registration process in late July 2023, and finally received my title last month. I worked with two separate licensing offices, several phone calls with my local county licensing office, as well as phone calls with the DOL state office in Olympia.

Here are some of the key RCWs for your reference:

Good info, thanks.

Of course, leave it up to Washington to make it the most difficult, convoluted and confusing process ever.

So, is your car registered as a 1965 or a 2023? Did it have to meet California emission standards? After reading through several of those RCW's, there's a lot of room for interpretation. Guess I need to go make friends with someone at the DOL office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, no kidding on the over-the-top bureaucracy in our state.

Mine is registered as a 2020. That's because the WSP inspector goes by the year noted on the F5 (manufacturer) certificate of origin. The DOL must use the year noted on the WSP inspection paperwork. The model year is what triggers the CA emissions compliance requirement (i.e. 2009 and later).

Believe me, I tried to get it registered as a 1965 Shelby Cobra. I talked to several who've done that. I applied every bit of wisdom they provided me. It just wasn't going to happen for me. I hope others are able to pull it off like lasse2 notes above. But, I want folks to be aware there is a good chance of having their title revoked in doing so.
    Chris