Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under carpet insulation/sound barrier

Post Thanks / Like

Under carpet insulation/sound barrier

My MKIV complete kit build is progressing faster than I had expected (so far). I have been very impressed with the manual, especially the photos. Only a couple of head scratchers and wtf moments. Only a couple of bolts I couldnt locate....brake resovoir mounts and master cylinder hose clamp to pedal box. My biggest fear, bending brake lines, turned out to be not so bad. After I kinked the first line! Otherwise everything has fit pretty darn well.

As I am waiting on my IRS, engine stuff to come in, I started looking a bit ahead. I have been researching various sound barrier and insulation for the interior. Hush mat, quiet ride (precut package, and several others. I cant touch and feel the stuff over the net and wanted to hear some first hand experiences of what worked well for folks. Thanks!

ernest

Silver Supporting Vendor Cameron Autosports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Extreme Dynamat on all my builds. It will take two boxes. Cost about $450.00 to do all the cockpit, back of firewall and rear bulkhead. It will stop all noise and heat.
    #5560 All New Build MkIII IRS, 8.8 Torsen, Koni's, 427Stroker, Tremac TKO600, Fuel Cell, Pin Drive, Hugger Orange/White, SB100 • www.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/n1722t
    Cameron Autosports, LLC.
    West Coast Builder and Restorer of Award Winning Carswww.cameronautosports.com
    Winner: FFR Huntington Beach 2011 BEST OF SHOW • Winner: AHA Pomona, Ca 2011 BEST OF SHOW, BEST ENGINE, 1st Place Cobra Class $50K and 1st Place Cobra Class $30-$50K.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of threads on this from this forum. There are tons more suggestions on the other site, regarding insulation.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=insulation

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,I have read those threads, but I haven't checked the other site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ernest, I retro-fitted this in my Mark 3 last year. One of the single biggest improvements in driving comfort! The 4' X 6' roll did most, not all of the interior. I pulled the seats and carpeting up from the trans tunnel & footboxes on both sides. There wasn't quite enough to go behind the seats, but I consider that a non-issue as the real heat transfer comes through the footboxes & trans tunnel. W/A coupon it was around $35!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/heat/sound-...?filterid=u0j1

HTH,
    Will
    Last edited by luvaz; 11-23-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jc whitney.....havent ordered from them in years. I used to love to sit and flip thru that catalog! I'll check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did mine but since the body is still off I can't say how much better it is. Its a no brainer, ya gotta do it. Don't get any product that is too thick. It will be harder to use and in some places you don't have much room to spare. I drove mine in Gelcoat during the summer with bare aluminum.You gotta do it...
    FFR 7216 MK 4 Non Donor Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/2012
    3 Link Ford Racing 3.73 8.8 Posi with Yukon Axles.
    4 wheel discs Brembo rotors and Hawk HP plus pads.
    Ford Racing 302 340 HP T5Z 5 Speed Stainless Headers and Side Pipes.
    Holley 670 Street Avenger on Edelbrock Performer RPM. MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
    Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10 Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered some from jc whitney, if i dont like it i may use it in my boat. Sounds like it will work fine, and the price is right. Thanks Will. My plan is to undercoat the panels under the car (not in the engine or heat areas), then sound/heat insulation under the carpet. Then maybe something thin and heat reflective on the outer foot boxes. Looking hard at the wheel wells sold by one of the vendors, but I have alot to do before I make some of those decisions.

Ernest

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Quadmat™, it is a 4 layer butyl sound deadener with closed cell nitrile foam insulation. Send me a PM or email from the web site and I will send you a sample to take a look at.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Eastwood's thermocoustic insulation. It seems durable and I found it easy enough to install. One box just about does the interior.
    Mk3 S/N 6150, (delivered July 2007), 87 Mustang donor, 4-link, T5, Kirkey seats, dual rollbars, turbine wheels, drum brakes, donor harness self-dieted (!), painted, licenced and insured May2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello, great post. Did you use any aluminum tape? I am about to purchase 2 4 X 6' sheets for my base kit. Any hints/suggestions is most appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you could use the aluminum tape to seal the gaps but not sure it's needed. When you lay that stuff down side by side it does squish together. I had some from Home Depot that worked well. I can only imagine the markup on the dynamat tape! I used dynamat on the interior and hushmat for exterior parts I forgot to do. Hushmat is all black and works well in under the car areas like the trunk. Either way it totally works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Lizardskin, both the sound and the heat barrier.

I liked it.
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Post Thanks / Like
    A $150 worth of FatMat off of eBay has worked fine for the last 20K miles and two years for me.
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Joe I got the fatmat off E-Bay was not that expensive, easy to work with doing a coupe so used more than the roadster but I put it everywere I could

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the insulation, I added some 1/2" Dynaliner to the floor areas ahead of the seats. Makes the carpet a little more plush feeling, as well as reducing sound, and heat. It also lets the carpeting give a little when climbing in and out of the car, with less chance of tearing open a seam.
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
    Check out Quadmat™, it is a 4 layer butyl sound deadener with closed cell nitrile foam insulation. Send me a PM or email from the web site and I will send you a sample to take a look at.

Dennis
    Use the Quadmat! It great stuff! I used it on a Coupe I recently built. Easy to install. The sound deadner layer eliminates that step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Autosports View Post
    I use Extreme Dynamat on all my builds. It will take two boxes. Cost about $450.00 to do all the cockpit, back of firewall and rear bulkhead. It will stop all noise and heat.
    This stuff is wicked expensive. it is really nice, but big bucks. I have sworn by FatMat for 6 cars and it is what I have in My own car.

If you have tons of money use the Dyna mat, If you are on a budget, Fat Mat works just fine too.

Fat mat will cost you about$160 for the whole car, cockpit, trunk, firewall with some extra.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another thought for you..wish I had thought of it when building my interior..
    You may want to add some padding to the tranny tunnel, under the carpet. I find my right knee rests against that area, and it can get a little uncomfortable after a time.