Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Sheet Metal Installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sheet Metal Installation

Just a sanity check ...

Am I correct in believing that pretty much all sheet metal panels may be assembled to the chassis before the body is installed, EXCEPT rear splash guards, upper engine bay splash guards, front wheel rear splash guards, and the firewall extensions?

2. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and the rear vertical trunk section, leave it off or temporarily installed until after paint and the rear lights are installed.
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

4. Thanks LateApex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd add the rear cockpit corners to the list. You'll have a hard time fitting the body around those. Plus the body placement kind of determines where they get installed. The manual says the hatch sides should be installed after the body is on. Which I followed and was OK. But several have commented they don't get in the way.

For the record, the build sequence in the manual explains when each panel should be installed. Basically in about five different build sections. Before and after the body is installed. I followed the sequence on mine and worked out OK.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'd add the rear cockpit corners to the list. You'll have a hard time fitting the body around those. Plus the body placement kind of determines where they get installed. The manual says the hatch sides should be installed after the body is on. Which I followed and was OK. But several have commented they don't get in the way.

For the record, the build sequence in the manual explains when each panel should be installed. Basically in about five different build sections. Before and after the body is installed. I followed the sequence on mine and worked out OK.
    Well, to be honest, I have been out of sequence since about Day 2 (end of September) due to missing parts. All parts, save door latch cables, are now in my shop.

I am doing a reasonably thorough installation of sound dampening (of the stick-on variety), which is one reason I am thinking about completing at least interior aluminum panels. I am also considering most interior finish work in parallel with work on the fiberglass (while the body is off). Interior finish work with the body removed seems easier.

I note that both the hatch sides and cockpit rear corners were shipped to me as installed panels. So I am curious about your comment concerning the difficulty fitting the body around them. Time to buy a few more clecos, dry fit these panels and the body methinks :-)

Thanks all for the comments!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LateApex View Post
    I note that both the hatch sides and cockpit rear corners were shipped to me as installed panels. So I am curious about your comment concerning the difficulty fitting the body around them...
    You don't think the guys at FF installed those panels after they dropped the body on? Especially the rear cockpit corners? I don't know if you removed them before you took the body off after delivery. I didn't. And they were bending and scraping the whole time. Made a mental note at the time to not put them back on until after the body was on for the last time. Then found the manual instructions that confirmed that assembly sequence. The hatch sides are less of an issue. But I still found it easier to drop the body on without them in place. I get that you're jumping around based on parts. I did too. But I'd still recommend searching the manual (easy to do with an electronic version) and note the sequence of when they show installing the various panels.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You don't think the guys at FF installed those panels after they dropped the body on? Especially the rear cockpit corners? I don't know if you removed them before you took the body off after delivery. I didn't. And they were bending and scraping the whole time. Made a mental note at the time to not put them back on until after the body was on for the last time. Then found the manual instructions that confirmed that assembly sequence. The hatch sides are less of an issue. But I still found it easier to drop the body on without them in place. I get that you're jumping around based on parts. I did too. But I'd still recommend searching the manual (easy to do with an electronic version) and note the sequence of when they show installing the various panels.
    Actually no. I think the panels were affixed to the chassis (this required drilling which would be at best impossible with the body on where sheet metal screws were used, for example in the very rear corners, and why would panels be temporarily tacked like that only to be removed, then install and tack the body, and then re-attach the panels?)

Like you, I did not remove any of the installed sheet metal prior to removing the body. The manual does not suggest that either. I did not have any scraping and bending of the hatch sides or the cockpit rear corners. The hatch sides seem most vulnerable, as they protrude above the frame, but by sliding the body rearward after freeing the pontoons, I had no problems. The cockpit corners are completely masked by the frame - I am not sure how they would interfere with the body assembly / disassembly in any way. The hatch rear wall has been tweaked a bit. Probably my clumsiness when initially removing the body. But as David mentioned earlier in the thread, this needs to be installed after the body, if anything to enable taillight hookup.

I am wondering if there are differences in the sheet metal between your build and mine. I was surprised by the two-piece radiator duct back, which I posted a question about in a separate thread. THAT upper section I will not install until I have bonnet lined up.

I am a novice builder - ignorance is bliss :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LateApex View Post
    Actually no. I think the panels were affixed to the chassis (this required drilling which would be at best impossible with the body on where sheet metal screws were used, for example in the very rear corners, and why would panels be temporarily tacked like that only to be removed, then install and tack the body, and then re-attach the panels?)

Like you, I did not remove any of the installed sheet metal prior to removing the body. The manual does not suggest that either. I did not have any scraping and bending of the hatch sides or the cockpit rear corners. The hatch sides seem most vulnerable, as they protrude above the frame, but by sliding the body rearward after freeing the pontoons, I had no problems. The cockpit corners are completely masked by the frame - I am not sure how they would interfere with the body assembly / disassembly in any way. The hatch rear wall has been tweaked a bit. Probably my clumsiness when initially removing the body. But as David mentioned earlier in the thread, this needs to be installed after the body, if anything to enable taillight hookup.

I am wondering if there are differences in the sheet metal between your build and mine. I was surprised by the two-piece radiator duct back, which I posted a question about in a separate thread. THAT upper section I will not install until I have bonnet lined up.

I am a novice builder - ignorance is bliss :-)
    Maybe there are differences. Mine is serial number 59. I have the one-piece radiator back wall, for example. Plus received a box of modified panels several months after I received my kit. Whatever. You asked, I answered with my experience. Which is the only thing any of us can do. Up to you whether it fits your situation. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck.