FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SoCal worries about making a roadster street legal California

Post Thanks / Like

SoCal worries about making a roadster street legal California

I’m getting ready to order a kit to build The only thing is holding me back is making it street legal in California.I know California is one of the hardest states to make street legal don’t know where to begin help

Post Thanks / Like
    So many people have been through the registration process in CA. Not an issue unless they change the current law.
    DMV registration process is rather easy really, it is the DMV agents behind the counter that make it difficult.
    Lots of threads here on the process, search and you have a plan to follow.
    That said, BEFORE you go to the DMV you need to learn and understand as much about the process so you know it better than they do. So, when they come back as say you need things you don't, you can provide an informed response.
    Also, don't go to the DMV until your car is running and driving. Your temp permit is only good for a short period of time. It is meant to give you the give to drive to CHP, Brake and Light, and BAR inspections. If the temp permit expires, the folks at the DMV get testy, ask me how I know. I received an extension, but I was told that was the only extension I would get. After that, you trailer you car to the inspections.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a long thread about registering special constructed vehicles in California. I think it was started by boat737. I will be going back to the DMV for my first trip soon. The first time the local office didn't have info to start but they got info the next day. They were pretty insistent about having the car ready so I will be making a new appointment soon as I finish a few details. Keep in mind the folks at the DMV may not have ever done this before. Depending on where you are located, there may be an office that is familiar with the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on choosing the right DMV. From my friend's experience the DMV matters because there are some DMVs that are just situated in places with more people doing these kit cars. They'll have a lot more experience handling the registration. I've never seen a registration get blocked or anything. It's always just the people at the DMV having no experience with SB100.
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I’m getting ready to order a kit to build The only thing is holding me back is making it street legal in California.I know California is one of the hardest states to make street legal don’t know where to begin help
    Tater

Its not that big a deal, just have to get the paperwork in order. Its does help to have a friendly DMV person to help though. Here's a link to my post describing the process:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...0-Registration
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Build you car then start the process, you got a long way to go... it is not that difficult to register one of these cars, just takes a few months, patience and a few trips to the DMV, CHP, BAR and safety inspection. Good news is the process is a one and done, once you get your plates you just pay you DMV fees every year and your good to go!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131