Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Using an H6 (EZ36D) 3.6L naturally-aspirated engine

Post Thanks / Like

Using an H6 (EZ36D) 3.6L naturally-aspirated engine

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to contribute here but I'm interested in doing an 818 build using Subaru's 3.6L engine rather than the 2.0L or 2.5L recommended by Factory Five. EZ36 is 0.83 inches (21mm) longer than the EZ30 and it's the extract same width. I've heard that builders have successfully done a 3.0L H6 in the 818 but I haven't found a build thread regarding that yet. My reasoning is that I'd like to eliminate forced induction completely. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my first build and I also prefer the high rev sound of a flat-6 naturally-aspirated engine rather than the low rumble and growl of a boosted flat-4. Also, if I can eliminate the intercooler then I might be able to free up a very tiny spot for a "trunk". Let me know if my 3.6L engine dream is a fools errand or if you've successfully fit an EZ30 or EZ36 (H6) in your 818 build. Thanks for the help everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of H6 have been done. The bigger question is where will you find an 818.

3. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a valid question. My thought is that a partial build of an 818 will pop up at some point if I'm patient enough, even if Factory Five has officially discontinued production on the 818 kit. Is this a bad way to approach this? I mean these rear-ended H6 donor cars go for very low amounts in online auctions, so all I really forfeit if I can't ever get my hands on an 818 kit is just the time it took me to pull the engine out of the donor. I'm sure I can resell the H6 motor if I end up having no use for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go!

John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

I think I'm the only one with a completed EZ36, but there are a few under construction. Lots of good info in my build thread.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    You also mentioned not finding a 3.0 build either. Mine -

Mine dyno's to 236HP (factory spec is 212). Better air in and out than factory setups CAN make some NA engines run harder.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...177#post231177