Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken's Arkansas Coyote MKIV build

Post Thanks / Like

Ken's Arkansas Coyote MKIV build

The time has come to start my build thread. I have been looking at Factory Five for decades, saw the writing on the wall for inflation, so I order a complete MkIV kit on 12/23/21 as a Christmas present. Completion date will be Sept 10. My overall plan is for a daily cruiser (or near daily), but am seriously considering Autocross (especially to learn how to control the car). I don't plan on going to the drag strip although I am sure I will make it once or twice. I like a modern twist on a classic, so wanted a Gen 3 coyote with a carbon fiber dash. I love the aviator look, so I plan on more switches and less knobs.

Here is what I have ordered (so far).

From Factory Five
    Complete MK IV Kit
    18 inch rims
    Power Steering (without pump)
    Hydraulic Clutch
    Carbon Fiber dash
    Coyote Instillation Kit
    Coyote Headers
    Passenger side roll bar
    EFI in tank fuel system
    MKIV sound insulation
    bare side pipes.
    Wind Wings
    Sun Visor
    Wiper Kit

From Mike Forte
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKX with 0.68 overdrive
    External Hydraulic kit
    2015 IRS with Knuckles
    Power steering (pump)
    Power Steering cooler
    Mustang A/C compressor
    13 inch rear brakes.
    AC pedals

From FFmetal
    Firewall Forward Kit.

Other odds and ends.
    Will Ceramic Coat side pipes and headers, likely at Jet Hot (everyone around here only does gun barrels)
    Vintage Air - Gen II mini (haven't bought, but did get the mock up unit so I could see if I can make it fit)
    All sorts of Odds and ends from breeze that I haven't bought yet.... (front battery mount, cockpit storage cubby, fan shroud, lower radiator mount, seat mounts, LED lighting).
    RT drop trunk
    Drive Shaft Hoop
    Soft top for the Mrs.

Expense creep and blown budgets are very real.

Things I haven't decided on
    F panels from FFmetal
    LineLock
    Which Highback seat I want (looking at Ultrashield Rally Seat, but really wanted to sit in one or another high back before I decide).
    RT Turn Signal
    Gas pedal for Coyote
    An intercom system. Was looking at Rugged Radios (Headsets, Bluetooth music, Bluetooth phone calls ,VOX, PTT with two way radio--especially since I have my Ham license).
    Color....

AT some point I will seperate my wants with things that are easier during the build, and things I can do after the build.

BORING BACKSTORY
    When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I received a car calendar for Christmas. Two cars captured my interes--a Shelby Cobra and a De Tomaso Pantera. This is back in the 80s when my brothers had posters of a Lamborghini Countach, Knight Rider, and Kawasaki Ninja on their walls. Fast forward a few years, I got married and my Father-in-Law loves cars, and took me to a Car show. Saw my first Pantera and wasn't impressed. Then I saw a Cobra and I was in love. The cobra was for sale, but cost as much as my first House! I thought it was out of reach, until my father in law introduced me to Factory Five. Spent hours designing a MK3, and MK4, deciding which one I wanted. Unfortunately, as a newly wed I never had the funds. Then school... Then a house payment... A short time later, my father-in-law took a VW beetle and started to convert it into a dune buggy. Whenever I was in town, I was always trying to help him build his buggy. Fast forward a few more years, I was attending a local car show, a FFR MK3 was there and for sale. I about bought it on the spot, but had just renovated my house and funds weren't available. But I was hooked. Started seriously looking at cobras, talking with my brothers, discussing which type I wanted. Was about to buy a Backdraft, then Superformance, but I always loved the Frame on the FFRs. I think you also feel more connected to the car after you build it yourself. So after much debate, opted to go with FFR.

What happens when you speak to your brothers about your dreams? They steal them. They went in together, bought a Roadster Mk 4, and started to have fun building it without me (they are currently driving it in gel coat). For the last year, I have been living vicariously through them, now it is my turn

I have two fears about the build. 1. I will never finish it. 2. I will love it so much, that I will want another. I told my wife the project wouldn't take over her side of the garage but a second project definitely would.

2. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Save for Index

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase and the upcoming adventure, and thanks for the backstory (not boring). Looks like you've done your research on options, and it's pretty tuned to the kind of driving you plan to do. +1 on the RT turn signal. Although you've got a professed love of switches, I just don't think you're going to want to be throwing one with a reach to dash every time you make a turn. It's one of those items on your DD that's easy to add to the car, and makes it safer and easier to drive.

Anyway, welcome to the fun and good on ya for doing a build thread. Everyone contributes something, and you get a lot of good feedback along the way whenever you want it.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for clarity, I swear I didn't steal your dream! All three of us came up with the same dream separately. I didn't know you wanted to build a cobra after I had been planning my build for years (I think I planned for about 10 years). I found out Phil wanted to build one too and had picked the exact setup that I wanted so we went in together. I always wanted a cobra since our little brother had a cobra matchbox car...

More to the point, I like to point out that us stealing your dream helped push you over the edge to actually buy one. I'm so glad you did and I can't wait to come over and see your build!!!

Looking at your build plan, it looks amazing. I'm sure I can help you spend more money too, it's what I do. You have some options that we didn't do that I think you are really going to like. We didn't do the firewall forward and I think I'll do it on my next build.

I think that your list from Breeze is almost perfect. I would add on the upper radiator mount as well. We didn't get the radiator mounts from breeze and the lower radiator is still held on by zip ties right now. Maybe we should have gotten the radiator mounts! Smart move on your part.
    Mk4 Roadster with BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI and solid axle rear end.
    Build thread
    Body work and paint thread

6. Likes k-roy, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ken. Very cool to have brothers that share your passion for vehicles! I don't know how far apart you live from them, but I hope someday you all can cruise your Roadsters together.

You have an impressive list of options for your build. That's a recipe for one amazing Roadster when it's done. (1) You may get addicted to the fun of the build resulting in a for-sure project completion. Which leads to (2) there's always the option of expanding the garage for build #2. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll enjoy the incredible amount of knowledge and helpful folks that comes with joining this forum.

Welcome aboard!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Hi Ken. Very cool to have brothers that share your passion for vehicles! I don't know how far apart you live from them, but I hope someday you all can cruise your Roadsters together.
    Unfortunately, we live 1200 miles apart. Or, perhaps that is fortunate as the last 150 miles are through the Rocky Mountains. My brothers got together with two others from the forum and spent 3 days driving through Western Colorado. I was sent a bunch of pictures and videos of their experience. I think they sent the videos to torment me as it is going to make the wait over the next 11 days even worse (completion date Sept 10). Then I have to wait for Stewart to deliver. Luckily, they both have offered to fly in and help with the build.

9. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would never send videos to torment you!

Phil and I have talked about renting a trailer and bringing the car out to your place while you are building it...
    Build thread

11. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is great! So much sibling rivalry.

Bad news is he clearly stole your dream and built his first . Good news is you get to learn from all of your first timer mistakes. This will be fun to watch.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

13. Likes John Ibele, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    This is great! So much sibling rivalry.

Bad news is he clearly stole your dream and built his first . Good news is you get to learn from all of your first timer mistakes. This will be fun to watch.
    And not to pile on - oh heck, it's totally piling on - while they don't share dreams with each other that are 10 years in the planning, they're happy to torture each other on the forum. Like you, Jesse, I'll be tuning in regularly

15. Likes M. Townsend, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completion date is in 1 week. Spent the day organizing my garage in preparation for delivery. I have new shelves, new work bench, and new toolbox (told my wife they were all necessary). During the process, felt something sticky on my finger, and I look down and see this.

Finger.jpg

I haven't even received my kit and I have already injured myself. After cleaning my hand up, I had to go clean up all the blood drops on the garage floor. I am not even sure how or where I took a chunk out of my finger. It is going to be a long build. Worth it, but a long build.

FYI, my brothers and I don't have a rivalry per se, but more having fun at each other's expense. Ask GTBradley what is like when two of them are trying to fix their cobra and then imagine three of us....

17. Likes John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy View Post
    FYI, my brothers and I don't have a rivalry per se, but more having fun at each other's expense. Ask GTBradley what is like when two of them are trying to fix their cobra and then imagine three of us....
    Definitely my assumption; not trying to kick a hornet's nest. I hope delivery day goes well, and remember to post a few pictures. It is, after all, one of the major milestones in the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Don't let it consume your life..... Nah, let it happen, cuz it will.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    Congrats! Don't let it consume your life..... Nah, let it happen, cuz it will.
    My goal is to try and merge my old life with my new build life. I attempted to have my 10- and 6-year-old help me build my body buck on Labor Day. I showed them how to read the diagram and then they helped me measure a draw the first few lines. A neighborhood child showed up and then my kids were off playing football. Oh well I tried. On the other hand, my father who lives down the street came over to help build the buck. I think he is as excited as I am. Halfway through building a frame dolly, my 6-year-old daughter wanted me to go swimming with her. So, I went swimming. The body buck is completed, the frame dolly is half done, and I had to clean up my garage late that night. All and all it was a good weekend. The garage is clean, and my wife can park her car in it.

Body buck.jpg

My completion date is 4 days away. FFR told me last week that the car should be completed on time despite their system upgrade. I figure (hope) the car will be delivered two weeks or so after that, but how soon should I hear back from Stewart? Just getting antsy I guess. Not sure how excited I am to be one of the first to get their kits after the system upgrade (everything I hear is that FFR will make things, so not that worried).

Post Thanks / Like
    We definitely have fun at each other's expense, no question about that.

There is definitely a story there that GTBradley could tell about my other brother and I. We were trying to fix the lower radiator hose on the side of the road. We were lying on the ground, in the rain, and my brother kept "accidentally" dropping the corrugated lower radiator hose on my head and dumping more coolant all over me. There was a lot of laughing involved. Let's just say that it ended by GTBradley saying, "I want to see you and your brothers fight. I bet it is full of tickling and giggling."

Back to your post...

That body buck looks great! I can't wait for your kit to be delivered. I need to see if I can pick up a few shifts out there as an excuse to come visit and help the build.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the car is delivered within the next 2 weeks.

For me, there were 4 big days so far in our build:
    1) Delivery day
    2) First start
    3) First go-kart
    4) First drive as a registered vehicle

Here's to wishing you a happy delivery day. I won't judge if you shed a tear or two when you first see your car...
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My goal is to try and merge my old life with my new build life. I attempted to have my 10- and 6-year-old help me build my body buck on Labor Day. I showed them how to read the diagram and then they helped me measure a draw the first few lines. A neighborhood child showed up and then my kids were off playing football. Oh well I tried. On the other hand, my father who lives down the street came over to help build the buck. I think he is as excited as I am. Halfway through building a frame dolly, my 6-year-old daughter wanted me to go swimming with her. So, I went swimming. The body buck is completed, the frame dolly is half done, and I had to clean up my garage late that night. All and all it was a good weekend. The garage is clean, and my wife can park her car in it.

Body buck.jpg

My completion date is 4 days away. FFR told me last week that the car should be completed on time despite their system upgrade. I figure (hope) the car will be delivered two weeks or so after that, but how soon should I hear back from Stewart? Just getting antsy I guess. Not sure how excited I am to be one of the first to get their kits after the system upgrade (everything I hear is that FFR will make things, so not that worried).
    ... looks like the nursery is all freshly painted, decorated, and ready for the new arrival, complete with new cradle ... uh, body buck. Hope all goes well with the ... delivery

Post Thanks / Like
    Had an eventful day yesterday. Received a call around 3:45 stating that my engine would be delivered soon. I was still at work, and unable to get off. Made a frantic call to my father (lives down the street), who was able to come and accept the delivery at 4:10. Luckily, my Dad was able to talk the driver into bringing the engine/crate up my driveway and into my garage. Wish I could have been given more notice so I could have been there.

Engine Delivery.jpeg

I rushed home and went straight to work unboxing the engine and other goodies. I didn't even stop to change or eat. Most everything was there, but am missing the modified Gen 1 engine cover I ordered. Will need to place a call into Forte for that.

Engine - open 2.jpg

I have spent the last nine months pretending to be driving the roadster while I was actually driving my minivan or small car. Not exactly satisfying, so I grabbed a frisbee and chair and started to make Vroom Vroom noises behind a large engine. I guess next on the list is sitting in the car making vroom noises, followed by first start, followed by go kart.

Engine drive - angle 2.jpg

Next obstacle is going to be getting the roadster. Was informed today that Stewart loaded the kit yesterday and it might be delivered from Friday afternoon to Sunday Morning. My excitement has been tempered because my colleague is out of town and I have to cover work. I will only be able to be at home in the afternoons (they thought maybe Saturday morning). I hope I don't miss this delivery too.
    Last edited by k-roy; 09-20-2022 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Edit to get the pictures rotated properly
    Ken
    MK4 #10476, complete kit, Gen 3 Coyote, TKX with 0.68 overdrive, PS with cooler, IRS, 18" rims, dual rollbar, Carbon fiber dash,
    Ordered 12/18/2021, Deliverd 9/24/2022, First Start 6/24/2023

24. Likes John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent the last nine months pretending to be driving the roadster while I was actually driving my minivan or small car. Not exactly satisfying, so I grabbed a frisbee and chair and started to make Vroom Vroom noises behind a large engine. I guess next on the list is sitting in the car making vroom noises, followed by first start, followed by go kart.

Engine drive - angle 2.jpg
    Now this is one excited dude!

I'm excited for you as well! The Stewart truck rolling up is one for the memory books. Hope you are able to coordinate your work schedule! Congrats on receiving your Coyote.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

26. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Keep your build thread alive... lots of guys stop the updates.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    First surprise.

Was going through my inventory from Forte, and making sure I had everything. TAs I stated earlier, it turns out that I did not get my modified Gen 1 Coyote Cover. Called up Mike, turns out it was a miscommunication between us. We talked about the cover, I told him I wanted it, he put it on the inventory list as an option, then I reviewed the order sheet. When I didn't get it, I called him up to ask about it. The cover was listed as an option with the cost, but was never added to the billed amount (i.e the option was never confirmed and put on the total) so it wasn't shipped. Since I didn't pay for it, I have no issues with it no being shipped, but will now officially order it. While on the phone, I discussed another problem I had. One of the IRS knuckles is used. The pic will make it obvious how I knew. After talking with Mike, Ford sent a previous order to a client that contained two knuckles from the same side. Since the ear was cut, it couldn't be returned to Ford. That spindle was exchanged from stock on hand, and I ended up with the exchanged piece. I have no issues with it (less work for me), but tried to verify the hole was drilled to 5/8 inch. I do not have a 5/8 inch drill bit, so I had to measure it with a tape measure. Time to go buy another tool (bit).... I don't see any issues with the cut/drill job, but if any of you do please let me know.

Knuckles - close up.jpgKnuckles.jpg

Delivery anywhere from tomorrow afternoon to 3 days. This is worse than Christmas Wish I had a narrower delivery time.
    Ken
    MK4 #10476, complete kit, Gen 3 Coyote, TKX with 0.68 overdrive, PS with cooler, IRS, 18" rims, dual rollbar, Carbon fiber dash,

Post Thanks / Like
    A pair of dial calipers is a handy tool to have around. A quick way to measure hole diameters, plate thicknesses, depths, etc... They're also not expensive and can be had in various sizes and qualities.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dial+cali...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Townsend View Post
    A pair of dial calipers is a handy tool to have around.

Thanks for the advice. Will get me one.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    DELVIERY DAY!!

The driver from Stewart Transportation called me yesterday, said he was going to be here at 7 or 8 this morning. I asked if he could push that to 7, since I have to work at 8 and I wanted to be there for part of the delivery. He said, well I can come earlier. So, 5:30 this AM their truck was driving down our road.

Stewart - coming.jpg

Pictures are poor, my phone doesn't like taking pictures in the dark. But we managed to unload it, get the boxes into the house, all before first light. Stewart Transportation left just after light, and I was able to get to work on time.

Car - Dad and I.jpgCar in garage (2).jpgStewart - Leaving.jpgUnloading Car.jpeg

Now onto inventory. Didn't find my POL, but I only had a chance to glance at the paperwork. Definitely did not get any wheels. Although, I my first POL boxes are due to arrive on Monday in 2 days (had conformation the day after stewart picked up my car).
    Ken

32. Likes nucjd19, 460.465USMC, Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet it was soooo hard to go to work knowing what's sitting in your garage after such a long wait!
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so excited for you!!!!
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished my inventory this week, only some odds and ends. My POL isn't too bad, but two things will hold me up. The front Hubs, and the IRS fasteners. Hopefully that will not take too long. First order of business, making sure my Co-driver will fit in the cobra
    Co Driver 2.jpg

On the bright side, my brother re-routed his business trip with an extended layover in Arkansas. He was able to spend the weekend helping with the build. So, onto the second order of business. I told my wife that she would still be able to park in the garage. Space is limited, so I hung the body from the ceiling. It was suprisingly difficult. I think the drywall is connected to 1'x6' which are then connected perpendicular to the joists. I wanted to hang to mount the eye bolts to the joists but was really difficult to find the joists. At the end of the day, I believe the anchors are hung in the joist and to verify it my brother would swing on a rope to ensure the bolts would hold. The body is now up and out of the way.
    Body Buck.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    With my brother, my father, and I all working, we were able to get a lot accomplished. The front suspension is completed as far as I can get without the front hubs. The upper control arm was modified as per the forum recommendations to allow for 8.5 degrees of caster. I have read enough build threads to know people install the control arms incorrectly, so I will post some pics for everyone to pick apart. I did decide not to powder coat my aluminum panels. I will just clean them up from time to time (as they currently look dirty )

Right Front
    Right Front Suspension.jpgRight Front Suspension 2.jpg

Left Front
    Left Front Suspension 2.jpgLeft Front Suspension.jpg

Power Steering
    Power Steering.jpg
    Now I just need the hubs, so I can finish off the brakes and the entire front suspension.
    We then moved on to the Rear IRS. Knuckles were cut and polished. The suspension was assembled and is ready to mount. I was hoping to get the differential up and in place, but the IRS fasteners are on POL, and we are missing two sleeves for the differential mount. So again, will wait for parts. I will move on to installing the steering shaft, and the pedal box.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making some great progress!

From what I can tell, the front end suspension and control arms look identical to the pictures I have of our build. Sadly, the car is at Phil's house so I can't take a good look.

Having back ordered parts stinks. Luckily there is typically a lot you can do while waiting. Keep up the good work!
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get delayed by the hubs for too long they're not expensive to just purchase.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOG-513115
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize that it has been 3 weeks. I have started multiple projects, accomplished a decent amount, but not finished much. It looks like my build thread will be more disorganized than I like, but that is the way my POL list is forcing me to go. Will try to keep the thread clean.

Will start with my pedal boxes. After I couldn't proceed farther on my front suspension without a hub, moved on to my pedal boxes. First problem I ran into was the foot box panels. Manual states to switch the footbox front panel (for OEM pedalbox) with the wilwood front panel. I only received one panel. After much searching on the forums, decided that my panel was the Wilwood panel, and I was good to go. I like problems with easy solutions.

My father is helping me with the build (along with my kids on occasion). I think he is having more fun than me with the build. He assembled the Wilwood pedal box while I was at work, so all we had to do was mark, drill and install it. I thought I was only going to have to install it once. Famous last words. First issue, while putting the 90 degree fittings on, we ended up breaking the edge.

Attachment 174073

After spending a few dollars, a new part was installed and looking good. Next issue I ran into, was that the brake sensor did not have enough adjustment to touch the brake pedal. Removed the assembly, took the mounting bracket for the sensor off, bent it so the sensor was meeting the pedal in a more perpendicular position. Took a few tries to get bend just right. Will see how well it works when I finally get everything wired.

Was not able to initially find the clutch sensor (located in the coyote installation box), so we mounted the sensor brackets on backwards. After reassembly, it looks great now awaiting final adjustment.

Attachment 174074

Had to remove the pedal box again so I could mount the coyote gas pedal. First issue I had is with the mounting plate. I looked at the picture to mount the front footbox panel, which had some rivets holding it in place. Of course, one of the rivets just barely interfered with the placement of the pedal. So I drilled out the rivet (surprised at how easy it was). Mounted the plate, went to install the pedal and to nobody's surprise it didn't fit well. Filing it wasn't working well, so I ended up using a grinding wheel and carefully ground down some of the ribs (ensuring I didn't get into the supporting structure) and was able to make it fit. I do not like the finished product of cutting the pedal and mounting it upside down. I did cut a notch out where the pedal meets the arm so it would fit better. Overall, I have about 7/16 inch clearance from the pedal to the side of the footbox. If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear it.

Pedal - spacing.jpg

Finally, I bought a remote brake bias adjuster. Not enough room in the footbox, so it does not like to make the needed curve. Looked over the options on the forum, and guess I can either cut a small opening and run the cable into the engine compartment (not terribly interested in doing) or use a 90-degree coupler. Anyone use the coupler? How did it work. If I am going to spend the money on it, want to make sure it works. I knew this project was going to nickel and dime me, but I have decided it will Jackson and Benjamin me instead.

Pedal - bend.jpg
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Started putting on my panels, and build the foot boxes. Nothing specific there. Just makes it look like more of a car.
    Panel - angle.jpg
    Panels - firewall forward.jpg
    Panels - passenger.jpg

The only issue so far is the A panel. Fits at the bottom, but the top is over 1/2 apart. If I push driver's inside panel to the A panel, it will overlap by 3/8 inch. Might have lessen the bend on the top. Sorry I don't have a great picture of it, maybe tomorrow I will get one.

Panels - A .jpeg
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't sure where I wanted to go next. I received some sleeves for the bushings for the rear IRS mounts, but am still missing all of the fasteners. After a discussion with my father, we opted to go buy some bolts, mount the differential in position, then we can exchange bolts when we get the fasteners. Bought the 5/8' drill bit to chase the front mount holes. What a pain that is. To make matters worse, I had unexpected major surgery during my 9 month wait, which left me with an atrophied pec muscle and neuropathy in my hand with associated weakness. It was about all I could do to not let the drill fly out of my hands when it would grab. But I managed. Next day went to the autopart store to get the gear oil. As many of you may know, no one has 75W-85. I live in a small town, the local Ford dealership went out of business 6-7 years ago. Either order online or drive an hour to the closest dealer... After a short drive, I now have gear oil. After hearing people talk about the friction modifier, I moved the differential to the end of the driveway to put in the oil and friction modifier.

Bought some ordinary bolts, ground down the 5/8 inch bolts to help align the differential, and using the jack and a few ratchet straps the differential is in.

image2.jpg
    IRS - front mount.jpeg
    IRS - rear mount.jpg
    IRS - side.jpeg

The bolts are only part of the way in, since I plan on removing and replacing them when I get the proper fasteners from FFR.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Now on to the next debate. Do I put in the gas tank since I am going to replace the bolts on the differential? Figure it can't be too hard to drop without any gas in it. I bought the 3/8" outlet in tank fuel pump hanger from Breeze along with the 3/8" return. Drilled and filed the tank for the 3/8" return line at the recommended 2 1/8" distance from the opening for the pump hanger. Direction call for using your fingers in a "peace sign" position to hold the lower portion while you screw the angled fitting from the top. My poor stubby fingers weren't anywhere close to putting the lower tubing in the right position. Ended up using a line wrench to hold it in place. Ended up dropping it into the tank, and made a fish hook out of bailing wire to fish it out. Second time was the charm.

The tank straps have a tear shaped opening and will not fit the bolts. The forums came to the rescue. Used a hole punch and rounded out the opening. Bolts now fit.

I read, reread, and reread again the instruction for the tank. The forums discussed bending/flattening the tank edge to mount the tank. I even saw it on FFR build videos on youtube. Never saw it in the instruction manual but I did it anyways. Sure enough, needed to do it. Using a combination of ratchet straps, lifted the tank in position and connected the driver side strap. The passenger side is a different story. The support structure was slightly too narrow, and the tank was 1/2" from sitting flush against the supports.
    Tank - rear interference.jpeg
    Tank - front interference.jpg
    Tried to persuade it with hammer and a piece of wood but couldn't get the angle right to bend the support with the tank in place. Ended up using a large crescent wrench to bend the forward mount 1/4 of an inch to get the tank to sit flush. Then the passenger side tank strap was able to be connected (again with "persuasion" and without the need of a longer bolt).
    Tank - rear pic.jpg
    Tank - side.jpg
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what to make of the gasket for the fill pipe. The gasket went in well and despite using some motor oil as lube, the fill pipe was difficult to put in. I assume this means that the gasket is making a good seal. I just don't like how it looks on the outside. The support bracket sits a decent distance from the gasket. I assume the support bracket is there to prevent the fill tube from being pulled from the tank. Is this right, or did I do something wrong?
    Tank - fill bracket first.jpg
    Tank - fill bracket space.jpg
    I even tried to flip the bracket around, but it is farther from the gasket and the hole would need to be drilled on the inside of the weld (which is a no-no since it will leak fuel). Clearly this is wrong.
    Tank - fill bracket opposite.jpeg
    Am I missing something, or am I okay?
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot keep up with my post for recommending the Ford filler neck grommet, so if I have previously suggested not using the shipped grommet, pardon me. Rather than give you the whole story, please google. The filler neck restraint looks like mine, so probably mounted as intended.
    On your brake adjuster the Tilton 90* adapter is decently made, works well and expensive. You might need to shorten your cable.
    I used a cut off wheel on the taped up cable.
    You will need to remove the set screw and lock nut on the cross bar adjuster.
    Congrats on your progress.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I thought I had read something about the grommet. I keep looking at fuel tank "gasket" and kept reading the threads about whether you should use the square or round gasket. I guess I didn't google the right term.
    Thanks for the info on the cross bar adjuster. Will make the adjustments. Hard to fathom that the 90* adapter is more expensive than the remote bias adjuster.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making great progress. I'm truly impressed with how much you have done in just a few weeks. Well, maybe I should say how much Dad has done.......

We had some of the same issues. We too struggled to get our brake switch to engage. I don't remember exactly what we did, but we had to do something similar to get ours to engage.

If I read your description correctly, we had the same issue between that A-panel and the inner wall of the driver's foot box. We had a huge overlap. I ended up using some gentle persuasion with a hammer and a 2x4 and bent the driver's panel to be flush and then riveted the overlap down. It wasn't the the prettiest, but we decided it would be hidden under carpet. If you end up doing that, make sure the other panels fit right so you don't have more issues down the road! Here is a picture I found of ours so you can see what we did. Oh, ignore our rats nest of wires, we cleaned that up once everything was working.

Screenshot_20221027-223809_Photos.jpg

Also, don't make fun of our vice grip steering wheel. Our steering wheel was backordered. We have fond memories of go karting with the vice grips for a steering wheel!

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see it on the street!
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    After hearing people talk about the friction modifier, I moved the differential to the end of the driveway to put in the oil and friction modifier.

Bought some ordinary bolts, ground down the 5/8 inch bolts to help align the differential, and using the jack and a few ratchet straps the differential is in.
    Congrats on getting the IRS diff. installed. Not an easy task IMHO.

Good move on adding the friction and rear gear oil outside. If done inside, it's good for a least a couple days of stink. You're cruising right along.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    It is decision time. Time for me to decide where I want to run brake lines, but more importantly where to run my fuel lines. I want to put A/C into the roadster and was unsure if I had room with a coyote as the CMCV sits where the evaporator would go. If I put in A/C, then I likely need to put the fuel regulator towards the driver side to free up room on the passenger side footbox. Only one way to find out how much room I have, and that is to put in the coyote. I bought some lift plates from a website specializing in Ford Broncos (never would have thought about putting a coyote in an old bronco). Rented an engine hoist and spent Saturday putting in the engine.

I have never put in or pulled out an engine. Surprisingly, went fairly smooth with only a few small hiccups. First, the engine was on a crate and the crate was too wide for my engine hoist. I had to pick up the engine from an angle, which made it slightly off balanced. When I tried to put it in the engine bay, I was unable to get the oil pan past the engine mounts. Removed the engine, put the crate on some smaller dollies, able to roll the hoist under the crate and place the engine properly. Problem solved.

Next, the frame buck I built was too wide. The buck was built in with 2 x 4 in an "I" shape with plywood on top making a platform to put on the jack stands on. Everything then sits on wheel dollies to allow me to move the car around. I ended up having to cut the central brace, remove the front platforms, place the roadster's frame on wood on top of the wheel dollies. Works well, allows me to move the car instead of the engine during install.

Attachment 174695

Attachment 174696

With the engine in, the movement of truth. How much room do I have. After looking through the forum, was unable to find out how much room I really have. So here it is. This is with the firewall forward kit. If anyone is every curious, I have other pictures from different angles.

Attachment 174697

I bought a Vintage Air mockup unit for their mini evaporator. Marked the unit about where I wanted it in the engine bay/behind the dash, cut, and then checked the fit. A small section is not shown (can't hold it and take pictures), but I can "make it fit". The support bar for the dash frame will need to be cut, modified, then re-welded on. Overall, I am happy with the results, so I put the order in for the rest of the A/C unit.

Attachment 174698
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I know the A/C fits, started riveting in the passenger foot box. Will leave the floor off until the brake lines are put in. The firewall has also not been riveted so I can pull it out and cut the firewall to place the A/C in.

Had extra minute, so I went to the driver side foot box and started to mount the steering pill boxes. The shafts are still on my POL but thought I could at least it start the process. It quickly became obvious that the coyote accelerator pedal's upper mount interferes with the location where the shaft goes. Rechecked the coyote installation guide and couldn't find what I did wrong. Turned to the forum, and saw that multiple people had to cut/trim the plastic on the pedal's upper mount. I reread the installation guide, trimmed everything down to make the pedal fit (tight fit), but no mention to trim that part. A picture in the guide shows the lower mount's plastic trimmed, but no mention of doing it. Maybe I missed it somewhere. Nonetheless, I used a hacksaw blade, trimmed everything to fit, and all is right with the world. I don't have a picture but will take some to show what was done.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticed you're SE Arkansas, where are you located? I'm slightly north of Memphis.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast