Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  53

Thread: Jim B in San Antonio 347 Mark IV Build Thread--Interior's done! (I think)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcomes, and advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I'm in Schertz if you ever need a helping hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sasteel43 View Post
    Jim, I'm in Schertz if you ever need a helping hand.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Front Suspension

I was hesitant to start this blog knowing that I’m not good at documenting, or taking pictures of my activities. Turns out, I was exactly right—I’ve been busy at work on the car, and posting nothing, but I’ll try and catch up. Then, I’ll try and keep up.

The front suspension went well, as far as I could go. My Konis, flange nuts for the lower control arms, and tie rod ends are all POL. The ball joints screwed in surprisingly easily. I cut the ends off the rear A-Arm adjusters to be able to get the initial alignment setting. I torqued my spindle nuts to 250 ft-lbs, but will re-torque them when I eventually get my wheels on the ground. I have a ¾” drive Snap On dial torque wrench (got it for $11 on E Bay about 20 years ago—my best buy ever!), and I can slip a 24” breaker bar into its handle to get plenty of leverage. The problem with a dial type torque wrench is that my arms aren’t long & strong enough to enable me to read the dial when I’m applying the torque. I usually ask my wife to sit on the floor with her foot on the wrench head to keep the socket securely on the nut, and she tells me when I hit the torque requirement. So, we’ll do that before I put the dust caps on.

I’m using the FFR standard front brakes, which went together without problem. I was missing the caliper mounting bolts but ordered the proper Allen head bolts from Amazon. They’re a Chinesium Alloy, but rated as 12.9 grade, so I’m sure they’re plenty adequate. By the way, I just mentioned to FFR customer service that they were also missing when I was whining about my missing IRS fasteners, and I was surprised to received the proper bolts from FFR in the mail today. I don’t need them now, but that's great customer service!

The FFR power steering rack went in without much hassle. The bushings are a very soft rubber, and got distorted, so I think I spent as much time trying to get them properly seated as I did getting the rack in.

The front suspension is now complete, except for my POL items. My photography skills are horrible, but please take a look at what I’ve done—ball joints, A Arm orientation, etc. I think it’s all right (but then, I always think I’m right) but it’s much easier, at this point, to correct any mistakes that you can point out. So, any advice/criticism is much appreciated.

Questions: It seems like there’s not much space between my inner tie rods and the steering arms, and that the tie rods go down at a steep angle. Does this look right? I installed the steering arms angled out and down. I know out is correct, but should they also point down?

; ;;