Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Power steering controller location?

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering controller location?

I find that the suggested location for the PS controller on the upper dash frame bar and suggested harness routing do not leave enough length in the 2 extensions that plug in near the motor to plug them in. I remember reading a post where this was discussed but I can't find it. There was something about extension harnesses. I was wondering what others may have done in this situation or where you guys have mounted the controller.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the PS controller on the right side of the bracket that holds the brake master cylinders.
    You’ll need to extend the wires, cut and splice them to make them longer to reach the controller.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

3. Thanks Mastertech5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I mounted the PS controller on the right side of the bracket that holds the brake master cylinders.
    You’ll need to extend the wires, cut and splice them to make them longer to reach the controller.
    I figured I'd have to extend the wires. That was obvious when I tried to find a place to mount the controller. I think stuff like that should be taken into consideration by FFR when writing the manual and by giving you long enough harnesses to reach the place they suggest to install the controller. Not a big deal for me but not everyone is adept to doing that sort of thing. I thought someone might have found a place to mount it inside without having to extend the harnesses. Thanks for chiming in!

Bruce
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 11-13-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

5. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    I figured I'd have to extend the wires. That was obvious when I tried to find a place to mount the controller. I think stuff like that should be taken into consideration by FFR when writing the manual and by giving you long enough harnesses to reach the place they suggest to install the controller. Not a big deal for me but not everyone is adept to doing that sort of thing. I thought someone might have found a place to mount it inside without having to extend the harnesses. Thanks for chiming in!

Bruce
    Therein lies the problem with most people who buy these kits cars. They assume a "kit car" is nothing more than a giant Lego set so everything will fit together perfectly and the manual is rock solid. The manual is just guide, nothing more, nothing less. The first few pages of the manual note in several places that the manual is a "good guide", the reason it's a guide is because FFR wants the builder to own the build, and build it the way they want to verses how FFR tells them too. On Page 6 of the manual It also states that it's "NOT for everyone" and later on notes "As fun as this project is, a person should be candid about their ability turning a wrench. This is not a place for novices."

Page 7 of the manual Dave has a great analogy of comparing a FFR kit car to a child, there will be highs & lows, there will be frustration, there will be rewards and in the end there will be pride with the completed projects however once the car is built like a child being born there will still be work to do. His point, is there is not written guide that will cover the uniqueness of every child and the same is true for FFR kit cars.

Very hard to write a manual for a one-off car. Where FFR mounted the PS Controller and documented it in the manual, doesn't mean it's intended for everyone to do it that way, it's just a suggestion / option.

When I did my build I pretty much only used the manual as a reference, half of the time the manual sat on my work bench collecting dust, it was only when I came to a part where I was unsure of the general location of something or the order of assembly of a part that I went back to the manual.

Enjoy the build, make it your own, that is the true intention of these kit car. When you get stuck, relay on networking (the FFR forum, FFR tech support, etc), those places are your best manual/guide.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 11-14-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

7. Likes narly1, sread, theidlemind, HVACMAN, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    I find that the suggested location for the PS controller on the upper dash frame bar and suggested harness routing do not leave enough length in the 2 extensions that plug in near the motor to plug them in. I remember reading a post where this was discussed but I can't find it. There was something about extension harnesses. I was wondering what others may have done in this situation or where you guys have mounted the controller.
    Potential problem with this location??? I too mounted the PS controller behind the dash, fastened to the firewall tube framing. And yes, I did have to extend a wire or two to reach the PS motor. Now, when I drive the car, the power steering fails a few miles into the drive. I'm assuming it's a temperature issue caused by engine heat. Is the motor getting too warm? or, the controller getting too warm? The firewall is insulated. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not easy, but I would start by checking all your wiring connections and splices. Sometimes the vibration from driving will make a poor connection show up. It won't be able to carry enough current through it. I'm not far enough along to drive mine but I did test it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plimpton, which controller do you have? The one that came with my car will give error codes.
    With the controller inside the car it shouldn’t be overheating.
    How close it the PS motor to the exhaust manifold/pipe?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little more info: I built my hot rod as an open cockpit car - so no air conditioning. I only drive the car 2-4 times a month and the issue does not occur every time. So, I'll need to make a dedicated effort to drive it enough to try and nail down the conditions under which the failure is occurring. I am in Alabama so, we have our share of hot weather but the last time I had the problem it was an 80 degree day.

The PS motor is probably not close enough to engine exhaust to cause a problem. I guess wiring or connectors is always a possibility - I'll check the ones I can get to easily. There are a couple of connectors within inches of the engine exhaust. Can they get too warm to fail, until they cool back down, and then work again?

Jim, I do have the unit furnished with the car. Thanks for reminding me about the error light. I'll check it next time I experience the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    i put mine on the inside of the firewall on drivers side behind the brake master cylinders mounted to firewall. accessible from the access panel in the engine compartment.