Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Floor lift required?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a frame dolly and jack stands. Once the engine went in the car, I was going up and down so much with the car that I decided to splurge on a quickjack 5000. By no means necessary but does make your life easier. Was much cheaper than other lift options and easy for low ceilings. The plus was it was portable so a lot of the time I would move them in the driveway for my other vehicles without having to move my build. as stated not necessary but a nice to have. Below is pic of the car during the build on the quickjacks to give you an idea of height and accessibility.

However I still used jack stands at times if I needed to access the transmission area. But using the quickjacks to set the car on them was much faster then jacking each corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was ready to buy the Quick Jacks also a few months ago, mainly for the routine maintenance on my daily drivers. While they would be good for rotating tires and brake service, they do severely restrict side access under the car. I see them being handy for assembling the chassis of a F5. My concern is do they go low enough? My son has a lowered car, and we still would have needed to drive his up on blocks to get the Quick Jacks under it. I decided to stick with floor jacks and stands.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    I was ready to buy the Quick Jacks also a few months ago, mainly for the routine maintenance on my daily drivers. While they would be good for rotating tires and brake service, they do severely restrict side access under the car.....
    I have one as well. When I need access to the underside, either front or rear, I slide the QJ in from the sides. Nothing says that you have to lift front to back.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue