Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: ChatGPT solves pinion angle question?

Post Thanks / Like

ChatGPT solves pinion angle question?

So, as I mentioned in my build thread, I've read many threads on the pinion angle question, but most tend to explain the theory, and not on exactly how to measure it (at least for us newbies).

My question is the how, ie where do I place the angle finder, at least on the TKX, I kind of get it for the diff where the yoke attaches, there is that round surface, but I wasn't sure for the transmission. So, I asked ChatGPT, and I have to say, this sounds plausible

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 19.10.53.png

Another thread mentioned that the suspension needs to be weighted. Where should I put the jack stands to do this? Also, do I need to simulate the full/final weight of the car (ie body, fuel, passengers)?
    Mk4 Complete Kit, Blueprint 427w EFI Stage 1, IRS, 15", Gordon Levi Wilwood brakes, FFR Power steering (Build Thread)

Notes and additions to the official build manual (PM me if you would like access to contribute)
    Inventory tracking spreadsheet

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a solid axle, place the jack stands under the axle itself. If you have IRS, doesn't matter, the center section is stationary.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

3. Thanks mladen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    If you have a solid axle, place the jack stands under the axle itself. If you have IRS, doesn't matter, the center section is stationary.
    I do have IRS. Does that mean I can just leave it with jack stands under the 4" round tubes?
    Mk4 Complete Kit, Blueprint 427w EFI Stage 1, IRS, 15", Gordon Levi Wilwood brakes, FFR Power steering (Build Thread)

Notes and additions to the official build manual (PM me if you would like access to contribute)

Post Thanks / Like
    IRS need not have the suspension loaded or ride height set. Forget about finding a suitable surface on the transmission; easy peasy method is to place the angle finder on the vertical surface of the pinion flange on the differential and on the vertical surface of engine’s crankshaft damper/pulley and compare the difference to determine your pinion angle.

Jeff

6. Thanks mladen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just surprised you managed to get a spot in line to ask it a question.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Tremec has a phone app that walks you through it using the angle feature of your phone. Like Jeff said straight edge on the crank pulley and pinion flange. In your case raise or lower trans to achieve your goal angle of not more than 3 degrees.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you would believe something that ChatGPT gave an answer to? It's a computer generated text writer, that has no knowledge of what you are asking. Proof is in the fact that it said use a degree wheel and a dial indicator.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

10. Likes sread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    So you would believe something that ChatGPT gave an answer to? It's a computer generated text writer, that has no knowledge of what you are asking. Proof is in the fact that it said use a degree wheel and a dial indicator.
    I trust everything I read on the internet.

12. Likes MB750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you get your alignment done, have the tech double check whatever you come up with. Extra insurance with someone else looking at it.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CaptB, will definitely do this for the whole car alignment.

I did measure the pinion angle as Jeff suggested. The closest to 0 I can get is 1.3 degrees, and that's when I lift the rear end of the transmission until the forward shifter housing sits against the cross brace, which I assume I want to avoid, for vibration reasons. When I add 3/4" of Forte spacers, I get 1.7 degrees, which I'm going to call good enough for now

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't want 0 degree. 1.7 degree is just fine
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

16. Thanks mladen thanked for this post