Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What would you do ?

Post Thanks / Like

What would you do ?

I plan on selling my car after two years of enjoyment. That being said, I am trying to figure out what a future buyer might look for, or want. Things like one roll bar or two, chrome or black, polished stainless side pipes or ceramic coated, vintage gauges or the Auto-Meter ones, plain buckets or the Kirkey seats. Obviously I do not have the kit yet, but a few things I do have 2004 Mach One 32v DOHC, a Tremec 3650, and a 8.8 with 3.73 gears with North Racecars axles and brackets. With the help of the collective group on here I am hoping to avoid buying things twice.P1010004.JPG

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, the mod motor might turn away some prospects but to get the widest audience for resale go with one chrome bar, traditional seats and guages, ceramichrome pipes and 15" Halibrand replica wheels. Paint it blue with white stripes. It's the classic image most casual C**** fans think of.

Now, with all that said...I didn't build my car anything at all like that---but I also didn't build it to sell!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Everyone is different. Some people like me prefer the look of the single roll bar and some would not have a car without two. Same goes for your other options and in my opinion build what you like. That is what I did and as long as you don't get too carried away the car will have appeal no matter what options you choose out of what you posted. Another thing to consider since you're looking at resale, would be a cost/value ratio. Polished stainless pipes look good but don't think they would add anywhere near their cost to the value of the car.
    HTH and good luck.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kleiner know all sees alll, trust the Kleiner.... he is the Grand Poobah of Roadsters.. All hail the Grand Poobah!
    In case you didn't read between the lines don't over spend on the build or it won't be a chance to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    IMHO, the mod motor might turn away some prospects but to get the widest audience for resale go with one chrome bar, traditional seats and guages, ceramichrome pipes and 15" Halibrand replica wheels. Paint it blue with white stripes. It's the classic image most casual C**** fans think of.

Now, with all that said...I didn't build my car anything at all like that---but I also didn't build it to sell!

Jeff
    FFR 7216 MK 4 Non Donor Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/2012
    3 Link Ford Racing 3.73 8.8 Posi with Yukon Axles.
    4 wheel discs Brembo rotors and Hawk HP plus pads.
    Ford Racing 302 340 HP T5Z 5 Speed Stainless Headers and Side Pipes.
    Holley 670 Street Avenger on Edelbrock Performer RPM. MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
    Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10 Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't go wrong with chrome.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Break even?

You didn't say you wanted to make a profit and honestly, how can you put a value on "two years of enjoyment". If you stick to your plan so far: it looks to me like a good handling, high reving little beast. I would concentrate on that and go with a 3 link and nice racing wheels. If you put good but not necessarily the most expensive components (that will stand the test of a high performer), the buyer will see the value. I would also suggest the single roll bar (1.5"). Try to keep it clean and simple.

Note: You may be one of those people who knows their mind even two to three yrs down the road. But I bet you think twice when it comes time to sell JMO! Good luck. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like

Hope to break even.

In my grand little scheme I would like to break even, or maybe make a little profit. I want the 65 Coupe next. I figured I would get my feet wet with this build and go on from there.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Tue, the modular, while a great engine, especially in four-valve form or the new three-valve or Coyote, can be a turn off to a traditionalist. BUT, with the hood closed who knows? I can tell a modular exhaust note, but that's me.

As for outward appearances, everything you mentioned is an easy future change. If you want black pipes and roll bar and a prospective buyer wants chrome/ceramic, it's simply a matter of having the parts coated or buying replacements. It's not a deal breaker for me if I was looking. Same for seats and gauges. Hell, even wheels can be swapped.

The big things to consider are paint and stripes and drivetrain/suspension setup. Go with a three-link minimum, IRS if you can afford it. Definitely a five-speed trans (no love for the automatic for the most part), four-wheel disc brakes, power steering and power brakes of some sort (hydroboost with the mod motor). As for paint, traditional blue with white, white with blue, red with white/silver, black with white/silver, etc. Don't go with orange, purple, green, etc. Again, no disrespect for those that have these colors, but you're asking about easy resale.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've built and sold plenty and you are foolish to paint it any color but blue with white stripes. Make the paint perfect, chrome roll bar, stainless sidepipes, Halibrand looking wheels, an upgraded carpet in interior and trunk.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All great advice......especially the blue color.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    All deserved respect to Jeff, but the guy who bought my Mk3 at Barrett-Jackson last January (after 2 years of fun!) was very savvy about FFRs and he bought it for the modular engine because he wanted a bulletproof engine, hydroboost with ABS, EFI, etc. All buyers are different, of course, but he wanted reliability over authenticity. He later added a supercharger so I guess he also wanted "too many" horses. It was red/silver, 2 chrome bars, IRS w/ Halibrands and I got 98% of the money I spent on it.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted, but because of the plan to sell I will probably change a thing or two. I was planning two roll bars in black, now one chrome one will suffice. Also planned silver paint with black stripes. I do like the blue and white combo, but wanted something a little different, but resale is the key. Changing those two things will definitely not change the enjoyment I will get out of the car. As for the mod motor, well she is paid for, so that's what's going in. Power steering and brakes, got those too. Of course every car will not appeal to every buyer, but all of the replies will help me in the future, instead of coulda, shoulda did things different.

Thanks again, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be johnny rain cloud, but I would not even expect to break even. Have you looked at typical prices? Check out the for sale section here and on the other forums. Sure there are a lot of factors that cause people to sell them, but most are not built with the intent of turning them around and selling them Still, I would say Very Few people even break even. Especially if you are completely honest on what you spend (and I am not even including your time). All the little things, fasteners, nuts & bolts, sand paper, rags, postage and tax on parts, all the little trips to hardware store, etc. Lots of threads of people looking at building these cars as a business - probably 5-7 people/companies that are successful at it - even then most all do it on contract for a buyer.

You are probably best off staying as basic as possible, straight donor build - few in any modifications, do 100% of the work yourself. Stay mainstream classic - classic guages, low backs - 1 rollbar (maybe 2), blue, maybe red, white stripes. The Mach1 is a nice donor, but factor in what it is worth (minus salvage) as part of your build.

I suggest you look long and hard this idea first. Make a very detailed plan and budget (not just realistic, but pessimistic) and see what you come up with. If your goal it get a coupe, I would either look for a used coupe, keep it for a while then sell it and build your own or just jump right in on a coupe build. It is a little more difficult, but not drastically. While I have not build one, I just see it as tougher in the body work area - tilt front end, rear hatch, door fit. The chassis, aluminum, wiring, drive train, etc are all about the same as the roadster.

The choice is yours, I just am suggesting you really think it through - critically and in great detail.