Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 818 Shift Cables Maintenace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
    Dave, when I picked up my 818 it has been sitting for a while and the shifting was kind of hard with the long cables.
    Removed the spring ball lock ends and the first rubber dust covers at the transmission.
    Removed just the dust cover by the shifter
    Installed a piece of rubber hose about 20” long and I believe it was 1/2” ID over the cable and secured it tightly with a worm clamp, filled the hose with alcohol and using a blow gun with a rubber tip pressurized the cable pushing all the moisture forward and collected it in a white rag under the shifter end.
    Did this several times with shop air. The final push was a dry run using nitrogen followed by a run with WD40
    It work like I thought it would. Done this on 40 years old airplanes for a while
    Hope this help

Jet
    Makes sense to try this first. On my boat too. Great tip! Thanks! Is the nitrogen step essential?

Cleaning and lubing my current cables will be an easy improvement. Fabricating the missing parts for the K-Tuned system I have will take some time, but it be a further step up. Zero Decibel would be awesome, but $$$$. Solid shifter linkage done right would probably feel the best, but take LOTS of time. I need to do some shift feel vs time/$ area under the curve cost benefit analysis.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 03-21-2023 at 11:15 PM.