Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing / Installing Transmission Gears From Shafts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing / Installing Transmission Gears From Shafts

Had a great two sessions at Thunderhill Raceway Saturday with my 818. On the first lap of the third session, I heard a pop, clack, clack, clack... and limped it back to the pits. Obviously, something wrong in the tranny. I also noticed coolant leaking. The coolant hose to the turbo was slipping off and I'm certain it would have completely blown off before the end of a full session if I didn't pull off because to the tranny, so I guess it could have been even worst.

I opened up the tranny and 4 ring gear teeth were missing and the pinion gear was also damaged. I'm not sure why it failed. The obvious answer is the pinion depth or backlash were wrong. I installed the LSD last year. I didn't change the pinion depth shims so I think I can eliminate that if I assume they were correct before. Could this be the result of me not getting the backlash right? I've ordered a proper "flapper" dial indicator gauge for when I rebuild it. I should have done that the first time. They are only about $20.

Now I have this tranny with a damaged output shaft and another with a blown out third gear. My plan is to take third gear off this shaft and put it on the other shaft.

My question: How do I strip off and reinstall all the gears, spacers, etc. off of the output shaft? I recall a YouTube video on it, but now I can't find it. And I recall if not done properly, damage will be done. I'm looking at the FSM, but any tips or other references would be much appreciated.

On the tow truck ride home I saw an 818 on a trailer with numbers on the door going the opposite direction on the freeway towards the track. Who did I miss? I assume you were heading to Thunderhill for Sunday. I was supposed to be there Sunday too.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 04-24-2023 at 01:43 PM.