Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Elliott's "Living the Dream" build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Elliott View Post
    I will also say that silicone is anti-seize compound's evil twin. That stuff gets everywhere.
    I couldn't agree more. Pretty sure anti-seize and silicone jump from the applicator to my hands when my head is turned.

You're cruising right along. Nice to see you have a lift...so helpful. Keep up the good work.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

2. Thanks Bill Elliott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This showed up, very excited to try it out.

eastwood.jpg
    Delivery Date 6-24-23 Build thread Living the Dream
    SBF 427 564hp/576tq Holley Sniper with Hyperspark by Smeding Performance. Tremec TKX .68 OD. IRS . Wilwood 12.88 brakes. Wilwood EPB. First start 11-17-23. First go cart 11-20-23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, Here is what I was planning on doing with the EPB wiring-Zip Tie the stress relief and route to the frame above the upper a-arm with enough slack to not get pulled by the wheel movement, then get into the transmission tunnel.

EPB Cable Routing.JPG
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F500guy View Post
    Bill, Here is what I was planning on doing with the EPB wiring-Zip Tie the stress relief and route to the frame above the upper a-arm with enough slack to not get pulled by the wheel movement, then get into the transmission tunnel.

EPB Cable Routing.JPG
    Yea, I think we have to have a way to secure it but still allow enough slack for suspension travel without interfering with the springs.
    SBF 427 564hp/576tq Holley Sniper with Hyperspark by Smeding Performance. Tremec TKX .68 OD. IRS . Wilwood 12.88 brakes. Wilwood EPB. First start 11-17-23. First go cart 11-20-23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things were slowed a bit, waiting on the brake line and brake line bending tool. Those just came in so will be back on that shortly.

I have found that I waste soooooo much time looking for parts, hardware, and tools. Today I spent pretty much all day looking for something simple, 1/8 aluminum sheet to mount reservoirs - none to be found in town , only needs about 4x6 inch piece. 1/8 npt flush plug to plug the back side ports on said reservoirs, none available at Ace , Autozone, Lowes. I would be a bit further on things if I didn't have to wait on everything. Oh, well give me more time for planning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things were slowed a bit, waiting on the brake line and brake line bending tool. Those just came in so will be back on that shortly.

I have found that I waste soooooo much time looking for parts, hardware, and tools. Today I spent pretty much all day looking for something simple, 1/8 aluminum sheet to mount reservoirs - none to be found in town , only needs about 4x6 inch piece. 1/8 npt flush plug to plug the back side ports on said reservoirs, none available at Ace , Autozone, Lowes. I would be a bit further on things if I didn't have to wait on everything. Oh, well give me more time for planning.
    Bill,
    I use onlinemetals.com. You'll usually have it in your hands in 2 days.

Jeff

8. Thanks Bill Elliott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! I'm just behind you with my progress. Kit was delivered 7/11/23, and I've buttoned up the front suspension and all the IRS bits, as well as drilled all the panels and got them powdercoated. I'm starting the pedal box this weekend.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

10. Likes Bill Elliott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I was able to finish fuel line except for the connection that will go to Sniper 2 and put a clamp on passenger footbox. Tomorrow I can start redoing my brake lines. Then start electrical. I also put the breeze front mount battery box in and started laying out the wire harness.

fuel line under car.jpg engine bay.jpg battery box.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I was able to finish fuel line except for the connection that will go to Sniper 2 and put a clamp on passenger footbox. Tomorrow I can start redoing my brake lines. Then start electrical. I also put the breeze front mount battery box in and started laying out the wire harness.

fuel line under car.jpg engine bay.jpg battery box.jpg
    I really dig those fuel lines and clamps. Can you tell me more about what you did (parts, brands, etc)? I'm going with a Coyote engine.

Thanks,

Greg
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    The line is from Hot Rod Fuel Hose AN-6 size for feed and return. The clamps are from Amazon , not sure how well they will hold up on the finish. I tapped the metal with a 10-32( learned the hard way that the original 6-32 screws that the clamps came with were to small ), also had to drill out the hole in the clamp to accept the 10-32 cap screws.

https://hotrodfuelhose.com/collections/bundles

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I see your near K.C. , I love Q39 Barbecue, and Jack Stack
    Last edited by Bill Elliott; 09-06-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the brake lines. I must say this has been the most humbling part thus far. I have a really good tool now for bending. The Ridgid lever type bender works really good. "Mistakes were made...." . I said before that nicop brake line is reasonably priced. Well, that is dependent on the number of mistakes you make. I got confused on measuring several times with the radius and whether I was bending towards the fixture or away. Very easy to goof up, at least for me. I am getting lots of practice. Definitely better than my first attempts though.

First attempt brake line first attempt (Medium).jpg

now front drv brake line 3 (Medium).jpg front drv brake line 2 (Medium).jpg front drv brake line (Medium).jpg

Still have to put cushion clamps on. Tomorrow will be passenger side front. Also, now I know what those coiled brake lines are for, people like me that measure twice and still end up with extra

Post Thanks / Like
    G'day Bill,

As an alternative to burning through so much nicop, try making examples of your pipe work out of fencing wire first.
    Start by grabbing a 12 ft length of fencing wire. Put one end in the vise and the other in the chuck of your battery drill. Pull the wire straight with a decent amount of tension on it. Then pull the trigger for 20 or 30 revolutions. You should end up with a very nice rigid and very straight length of wire. Use this to make your brake line first and then you can use it as a guide when you make the real thing.

Keep livin' the dream.

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

16. Thanks Bill Elliott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this will help you with the Ridgid bender. Once you figure out thr reference marks on the link you'll be gold.

My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small updates here. I finished the front brake line going from driver side to pass. side. I mounted the Scott's Hot Rod reservoirs also. First one I did was not exactly level so I scrapped that and the final one is level.

front brake line driver (Medium).jpg brake line front view (Medium).jpg front brake line pass.jpg brake reservoir (Medium).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finalized the brake lines today. Hit a bump in the road. My lift has a leak from the quick disconnect fitting. I will have to get that replaced asap. Next will be to fill and bleed the brake system.

rear brake line 1 (Medium).jpg rear brake line 2 (Medium).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake system is complete. Bled master cylinders on car with a short line from the master to the reservoir. Then vacuum bled all the calipers. The rear has an inboard and outboard bleeder , outboard first then inboard. The front was just the top bleeder. Pedal feels good, about an 1 1/4 pedal travel right now. Not a single leak from any fitting first time !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Started putting gauges in dash. Mocked it up. The carbon fiber is easy to cut but dusty. I was all suited up for it, I have had my run in with fiberglass before so didn't want the itches afterwards.

dash layout 1.jpg dash 1.jpg dash 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Glove box definitely goes on my NOT FUN list.

23. Likes John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few days off this week and next week. I think that will allow me to get some real progress done since most of the time I have been working randomly after work.

So I have been working on the dash and wiring. I purchased some good crimpers and am using 3:1 heat shrink on all connections, this is a part I really enjoy doing.

dash wiring.jpg

25. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure and run all of your dash wires to Weather Pack connectors so it's easy to remove later.

My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    More and more wiring, lots of time will be spent on this. I spliced in the tail light converter it will be behind the dash for easier access if ever a replacement is needed. The extra purple wires that are unused and conveniently already run in the loom to the back I might use for trunk lights and a back up light. I am also thinking about one of those plasma brake lights like Travis put on his.

tail light converter.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Look what showed up today

engine 1.jpg engine 2.jpg dyno.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Elliott; 10-16-2023 at 10:51 PM.

29. Likes danmas, cc2Arider, zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was the big day. Engine install. I can say it was flawless , super easy. I used a 2ton hoist with a leveler that worked really well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W41036 . I installed the transmission bracket before putting the engine in and it was not a hindrance at all. I also put the driveshaft in the transmission tail just before the engine was all the way down, that is absolutely the easiest way for the driveshaft. I don't know why so many people fight with that after the engine is in place. Just a great day , everything went as planned. Good help to from a few guys.

Last edited by Bill Elliott; 11-05-2023 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! When is first start?

Post Thanks / Like
    still have to finish electrical ie. Holley sniper , all plumbing including radiator. Hopefully within 3 weeks. Can't wait to hear it.

35. Likes Mike.Bray, zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I got the driveshaft torqued down , waiting on some spaces to set pinion angle. Have put accessories back on the motor. Put the ground strap to the block on. I posted on main forum asking if this is ok the way I did the grounds.

IMG_1053.jpegIMG_1052.jpegIMG_1051.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I got the driveshaft torqued down , waiting on some spaces to set pinion angle. Have put accessories back on the motor. Put the ground strap to the block on. I posted on main forum asking if this is ok the way I did the grounds.

IMG_1053.jpegIMG_1052.jpegIMG_1051.jpeg
    That's the way I did mine, one from the engine to the frame, and another from the starter post to the frame. I haven't had any electrical gremlins to chase down with my Sniper setup. Good progress and nice looking engine.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have the engine in there is a long list of things that can be worked on in no specific order with the goal of first start on the horizon. Today I finished the mechanical throttle linkage. The roll pins that came with the kit I thought were 3/32 but I just couldn’t get them to work. I went to Ace and bought some 1/8 roll pins and put them in with no problems , cobalt bits for that ss rod is a must. I was also able to finish up the fuel lines up to the Sniper. I removed the fuel pressure regulator from the Sniper as I am using an external regulator. There has been issues with the internal regulator in the Sniper so I wanted to eliminate that issue now.

IMG_1063.jpeg

39. Likes zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    G'day Bill,

Engine bay looks great. Might be worthwhile putting a PVC boot over the positive terminal of the alternator. The terminal lurks there waiting to short to an errant spanner.

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that idea, i only have it laying there right now , still have to size it and put some loom wrap on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another milestone passed that helps me sleep better at night. I received the transmission spacers today so went to work on driveline angles. Started with all three spacers though it was good then realized not everything was tightened down yet so back and forth a bit after that with checking, tightening rechecking. Ended up using 3 spacers and two washer and finally success.

driveline.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    First start
    Edited version< only issue I had was the clutch safety switch. I had to tighten some hose clamps and also the thermostat housing. My Summit expansion tank has a small leak from the sight tube on the side. I think if I take the fittings off and put some teflon tape on it should be good. After I restarted a couple times it started burning really rich afr was a 35 which is really high. This will be a learning curve trying to get settings on the Sniper all tuned it but initial start was awesome !

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great! Nice work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I have posted here. December is a bad month to be a mailman. All my car building time was taken up by Amazon.
    Past few weeks I worked on minor things, go-carting and checking things. Making sure all mechanical issues are ok. I set my ride height last week, so now I am trying to make plans on getting the car to a shop for a accurate alignment. At the same time I will probably rent a enclosed trailer, I want to see what size, if any, that I can fit between my garage and a fence.
    Today I worked on the courtesy lights that are switched from the headlight switch. I also had to connect the inertia switch at the back of the car near the fuel pump because I have my pump powered by the Sniper. I also wired in a connection for a backup light, just have the wire there ready for the light that I will choose later .
    I have driven the car several times just in the neighborhood and everything is great just can't wait to get it on the open road. Next thing I have to do is get some switches mounted under the dash (high beam, hazard lights), and a place to mount the seat heater switches and a usb/12v charger.

One last thing,,,, I installed the horns also. The provided female connector that you are supposed to use and make a jumper from one horn to the other with does not work. The way the instructions show you would have to put 2 14ga wires into 1 blue female connector that is made for 1 14 gauge wire. Don't know why they don't provide a connector better suited for that. So I switched that to a 10-12 ga connector.

dash lights.jpg trunk lights.jpg

46. Likes F500guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cup holders and transmission covering are in progress now. Tonight I applied the 1/8" closed cell foam. Used the 3m 90 contact adhesive, easy to use and fast. The white box behind the cup holders is my model of what I want for mounting my seat heater switches and usb charger. I took it to a local shop here https://www.cmlaserandfab.com/about-us. Hopefully they get to it soon.

cup holder.jpg console.jpg

Next weekend I have a trailer reserved 8.5 x 16 enclosed, to take the car to someone to get a good alignment done. This will also allow me to see what size trailer I can fit between my garage and the fence with gate. It will be a snug fit as the front corner of my garage to the fence is 114" and the trailer is 102" . So its more of what size trailer I can maneuver in there than what size fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my alignment done yesterday. Real happy with that done now. I know some guys at our local Ford dealership , he was able to come out on his own time to do it for me. Didn't take a whole lot of work. I was suprised my intial eyeball setup was at about 10-11 degrees on caster. All good know at 7.5 degrees. Camber is at -.5 and toe in about 1/8 inch.
    Today finsihed up a custom shift boot. I might look for a different shifter ball. The boot is made from the same material as the trans tunnel cover

alignment.jpg shifter boot.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting close to mounting the body. I installed 2 kayak hoists to raise the body and slide the car under it. I wanted to be able to do this by myself.

I made a model of what I wanted to mount some switches and a USB charger/ 12v port. I had a local shop here that took my model and created a cad drawing and formed the part for me. I then covered it with the leather I used for trans tunnel. Really pleased with the finished product. It's nice to see my own visions become reality.

hoist.jpg model.jpg center console.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Bill, you are flying thru your build and looks great!
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

51. Thanks Bill Elliott thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast