Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hot Rod Differential Choice

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Differential Choice

My financier/wife has graciously agreed to new driveline parts for the Hot Rod build. Engine and transmission are no problem but I have a differential question. I'm looking at a Ford Racing part number M-4001-A355, an 8.8" listed for a 2005-2011 Mustang GT. Will this diff work? I can't find specifications to determine the width but I'm assuming it is wider than 59.25". Will a wider unit cause problems? I'm building the car with full fenders.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that Factory Five will answer this on Monday, but I just went through this search too. From what I learned, the suspension pick-up points were changed in the 05 and newer axles so they will NOT work with the 33 hot rod chasis. The axles that should work are Fox body - 2004 mustang 8.8 rears.

I knew I had read that somewhere before. Here is the info you're looking for regarding 33 Hot Rod rear axles.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Axle-Question
    Last edited by 1fastsedan; 11-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, 1fs. That answers my question. I'll narrow my search.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastsedan View Post
    I'm sure that Factory Five will answer this on Monday, but I just went through this search too. From what I learned, the suspension pick-up points were changed in the 05 and newer axles so they will NOT work with the 33 hot rod chasis. The axles that should work are Fox body - 2004 mustang 8.8 rears.

I knew I had read that somewhere before. Here is the info you're looking for regarding 33 Hot Rod rear axles.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Axle-Question

Post Thanks / Like
    The above post is correct. I used a '97 Cobra rearend in my hot rod, and it worked out great. The '95 and later housings are the same but you get 5 lug axles (a little wider to allow for ABS rings) and disc brakes. The extra width of the axles is not apparent, particularly with the usual wide wheels on a hot rod. These rearends can usually be picked up on Craigslist or Ebay for $300-$1000. I got mine on Craigslist for $350 with a new Auburn differential and racing axles for $350! I got lucky but there are great deals out there if you're willing to be patient, look around, and do a little cleanup with a wire brush and a sandblaster. Welcome to the family!

-T
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear End

The ideal rear end to use in an Mk4 or 33 Hot Rod kit is a fox body width (59 ¼” from hub to hub) 5-lug 8.8 mustang rear end.

The Fox Body Mustang was from 1979-1993. The rear end from 1979-1985 was the 7.5 and switched to the 8.8 in 1986. The 8.8 is much stronger. All of the Fox Body rear ends came with 4-lug axles and drum brakes stock.

In 1994 the rear end changed to 5-lug and disc brakes. The axle shafts were ¾” wider per side bringing the width out to 61 1/8” from hub to hub. The housing from 1994-1998 was the same as the Fox.

The 1999-2004 8.8 rear end was 62.52” from hub to hub and the housing is wider.

Our Moser rear end is the fox body width with 5-lug axle shafts. It is set up for the 3-link suspension only.

The wheel and tire sizes we spec out are assuming you are using the fox mustang width rear axle. 59 ¼”

Rear ends from 2005- newer are a lot wider and have different control arm mounting points and WILL NOT work in any of our kits.
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

pyramidbuilders
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where do I get the Mk4?

You say your Moser rear end. I was under the impression that you did not offer a dif and I had to find my own. I definitely want disc brakes and a strong rear end as I will be supplying over 400 ft. lbs. torque. Can you be a little more specific on what I should look for?

Also, please answer this question. Is anyone using independent rear suspension?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pyramidbuilders View Post
    Where do I get the Mk4?

You say your Moser rear end. I was under the impression that you did not offer a dif and I had to find my own. I definitely want disc brakes and a strong rear end as I will be supplying over 400 ft. lbs. torque. Can you be a little more specific on what I should look for?

Also, please answer this question. Is anyone using independent rear suspension?

Mike
    The Mk4 is the roadster replica kit.

Factory Five does sell a rear end through Moser. I believe it is only available if you want to run the upgraded 3-link suspension, but will work in the 33 if you're planning on doing that.

Factory Five does not have an IRS option for the 33 (well right now anyway), but there are a couple of builders who have fabricated their own.