I've been driving the hot rod for a few months now and decided to give the car a once over to see if anything was loose. I noticed the front steering linkage was loose where it connects to the sterring box splined rod at the front of the car. This particular connection uses a set screw to the flat area of the splined rod with a lock nut on top, all with red locktite. Luckily this particular joint can't come completely off because the oposite end has the through bolt type connection which, while lose, cant slide any further down.
I took the joint apart, cleaned out all the red locktite and redid the connection nice and tight, again after driving it a bit it came lose again but the bolts aren't moving, it just seems the fitment of the set screw to the flat part of the shaft isnt seating correctly. I hate that I'm banking my life on a stupid set screw and of coarse it makes me wonder about the other set screw connections along the steering shaft. I'm sure someone else has had this experience and wonder what your solution was? Has anyone drilled this out, tapped it and put a through bolt here? Again, I appreciat the help!
stearing.jpg