Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: PSA: tighten your gas pedal!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

PSA: tighten your gas pedal!

I've driven thousands of miles in my hot rod, so I know how it feels and also do a lot of maintenance, but yesterday something happened that I feel I should mention!

I sensed that the throttle pedal wasn't returning quite as fast as normal, so the motor was still pushing as I let off the gas. Very minor, but noticeable.

I figured some dirt (I have no fenders or hood) or at worst, perhaps one of my double throttle springs got caught up or broken. But neither of those looked true.

Going inside the car it initially looked and worked ok, but on closer inspection there seemed to be some slop in the gas pedal - sure enough the joint was almost completely apart. The allen head bolt has undone itself over the years! Easy to tighten up.. but unless you look you may not notice this until it comes apart..

You can barely see it here.. but there’s probably over 1/4” of gap between these parts.

IMG_0417.jpeg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

2. Thanks Joel Hauser, KippRacing thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More, Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I've driven thousands of miles in my hot rod, so I know how it feels and also do a lot of maintenance, but yesterday something happened that I feel I should mention!

I sensed that the throttle pedal wasn't returning quite as fast as normal, so the motor was still pushing as I let off the gas. Very minor, but noticeable.

I figured some dirt (I have no fenders or hood) or at worst, perhaps one of my double throttle springs got caught up or broken. But neither of those looked true.

Going inside the car it initially looked and worked ok, but on closer inspection there seemed to be some slop in the gas pedal - sure enough the joint was almost completely apart. The allen head bolt has undone itself over the years! Easy to tighten up.. but unless you look you may not notice this until it comes apart..

You can barely see it here.. but there’s probably over 1/4” of gap between these parts.

IMG_0417.jpeg
    A very good tip. I am on my second gas pedal. The OEM FFR unit broke from wear, and very much may have had the condition leading to the break exacerbated by misalignment. I replaced it with a Lokar pedal then started experiencing the same issues (after 8 years of hard use. Pulled the pedal off and found the same condition you are describing. Lot of fun using your belt to pull back on the throttle to avoid hiring a wrecker to get the car home.

4. Likes RoadRacer, JimLev liked this post