Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to fill holes in the firewall?

Post Thanks / Like

How to fill holes in the firewall?

Any y'all filled unused holes AKA: mistakes? How or what do you use to fill in unused, unwanted holes? I was thinking JB Weld or some kind of aluminum patch? I'm looking for suggestions here. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    How big are the hole(s)? Regardless, I probably wouldn't use JB Weld. For small holes, a polished (SS) round head screw looks decent and gives the impression it's there for a reason. Larger holes, I'd probably go with a patch. I get it. Everyone likes a nice firewall on the hot rod (or truck) and especially if not installing a hood. But keep in mind, once done, it's relatively busy and much of the view is covered or at least obstructed by the engine and related.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    How big are the hole(s)? Regardless, I probably wouldn't use JB Weld. For small holes, a polished (SS) round head screw looks decent and gives the impression it's there for a reason. Larger holes, I'd probably go with a patch. I get it. Everyone likes a nice firewall on the hot rod (or truck) and especially if not installing a hood. But keep in mind, once done, it's relatively busy and much of the view is covered or at least obstructed by the engine and related.
    2 holes are 1/4" or 5/16" and the other is around 1/2". I thought about the stainless bolts for the 1/4" but the 1/2" one i'm not so sure of, Though maybe a simple rubber plug. BUT, like you said, once it's all done, I doubt it would be noticable.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about panel/hole plugs or sealing grommets? Lots of sources and sizes available.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    J1M, ebay has many options from rubber to steel. There are metal polished one's w/clips that just push-in and you're done.

Doug
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had a measurement mistake and drilled a couple holes in the wrong place. Thankfully I know a few friends with TIG welders and asked one of them to weld up the holes for me, then ground them smooth.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I threaded the hole and put a screw in it Didn't make a mistake with a bigger hole but would use a plastic or rubber hole plug if needed.... many different brands, some on Amazon even.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't even think of the metal hole plugs, going to stop by my neighborhood hardware store and see what they have. Thanks guys