Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MKIV9769 #19of25th Anniversary “Quarter-Past-Half Time Machine" Build: BAC2TheFuture

Post Thanks / Like

MKIV9769 #19of25th Anniversary “Quarter-Past-Half Time Machine" Build: BAC2TheFuture

THIS IS A REALLY LONG READ, SO I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND JUST SKIP IT

Hello TFFForum Family! I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Just like a 19 year old kid (ME back in the day) never showing up on time, I still yearn back for those years gone by… Anyway, I know I’m late! This was actually somewhat kind of part of my plan, no really? Okay, yeah --- I’m really late! Better late than never as they say, but you know… I’ve had a lot going on and who doesn’t! Like all of you, it’s a matter of balancing time and money and then more time and even more money <repeat>… I figure I better get something out here, even though I’m not that far along, I’ve been taking pictures and will work on documenting my build, but it will be in spurts and not a traditional build log like so many others. I’m planning a 5 year build to get it on the road.

Breaking this into the following – WTLDR: WAY TOO LONG DIDN’T READ
    > Background story and Thank You’s (A very long read but is necessary to tell)
    > MKIV#9769: 19of25th Anniversary “Quarter-Past-Half Time Machine" Build…
    > Build Expectations and Specifications
    > Build Dedication

Background Story and Thank You
    I obviously wanted to do a build thread for a few reasons… The main one, I too want to keep a record of my journey as another Factory Five MK4 Roadster that was “Built Not Bought”! My dream, my project for which I brought into reality just like so many others on here has done before me. I’m taking more pics and vids that will be shared, but it’s to completely document my build and have record of this special build, that and of course, to gain any feedback and I’m sure many of you do the same.

I’m not planning on trying to reinvent the wheel, as to say. I mean, lets face it, I stand in the shadow of giants that have come and sadly even gone before my time. And I'm just so honored, and I will proudly stand in the shadows of some of these absolute fantastic builds. I will do what just makes sense to me. I don’t want to regret anything that could make it my best, and pay homage; to my dream, this family community, the 25th Edition and of course, Factory Five Racing! To say, if a builder has done something that I really like, I’ll surely want to use it and of course will give credit to that member or name of that someone who inspired me or even them. However, I do hope to find ways to make my build a little different and move to the left or right of the shadow and add a twinkle to the countless wonderful ideas and implementations from so many other brilliant builds. Perhaps I’ll do something that others will like and can either copy or build on it, like I’m doing already on mine, from all of you and your excellent ideas. I can only hope this build will inspire someone else on their own build and perhaps avoid any pitfalls too. Since my goal is to be a good student and become a teacher once it’s done. Again, like so many of you have shared your knowledge.

Ever since I’ve joined The Factory Five Forum back only a short time ago (short of 2+ years) my only regret is/was not getting on the site much sooner! This really is a very cool community and to be a part of it is very special. There is so much talent and wonderful folks out here that have helped and are helping each and every day. For those of us who will no doubt need to tap the; knowledge, wisdom and sharing of the community, and utilize the expertise in order to accomplish or conquer a major problem(s) they are having. I know my turn will be coming soon, where I too will need to get over a hurdle and so, well, I want to give a prior “Thanks” for future help and guidance too. So, again, “Thanks” for having me too!

Anyway, I decided long ago that if I ever got the chance to build my dream project, I would try to document it with lots of pictures and even some video along the way. I think in the end, I’ll let the process help lead, guide and even set a pace too. I want to take-in each and every moment, and savor the time. I want to freeze every moment and capture every single piece of the process, and then I’ll have something that I’ll be able to look back on and relive all the excitement that I’m still feeling right now. Even as I type this all these years and months later, the joy and jubilation “F5 Spark” has not died and will only glow brighter and brighter until my days end! I’m only building this one dream, since for me, there really isn’t any other car I want to drive or build. This is the one! This one is special! I’m going to give it my all and build me the ultimate dream car, for me anyway!

I hope that my build journal will help or inspire at least one person with something that I do. If I can get a positive response, where they copy something I do, then all the better! But if nothing else, at least my build journal will contribute my small chapter in this vast library of memorable journey’s, and to be forever a part of all these special “Built Not Bought” book of stories. To have it here up on the digital shelf book, yeah, that truly really is the honor! To secure a place amongst all of you and to continue the legacy of dreams made real. These are real life adventures being played out, most likely from dreams and fantasies even. Each one brought to life, reaching a nirvana state with an ever-life-changing experience!

*NOTE: Much more of the background story can be found in my About Me and my very first post to Dave Smith and all of Factory Five Racing Community.
    About Me: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/memb...28123-ydousurf
    Welcome and Introductions [POST #54]:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...resident/page2
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-02-2021 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammar and Typos
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

2. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MKIV#9769: 19of25th Anniversary “Quarter-Past-Half Time Machine" Build…
    Let me begin with the title, for which is pretty self-explanatory and it’s an appropriate phrase that just seems to fit with everything that has culminated up to [this/that] point in my life. Specifically --- TIME! Over past 40+ years of first being awe struck as a child and frozen in the gaze of the cobra, so much time has gone bye. But I waited and waited for this moment in-time to arrive, so the real journey could finally begin.

With the 25th Anniversary of Factory Five Racing Company’s existence and me celebrating my 50th birthday back in 2019. Yep, back in 2019! Yeah, that year, the one when the “normal life” was kind of really taken for granted? As well all now know that. Anyway, that year I was finally able to put in motion the beginning of just then starting to make my dream a reality. I’ve had this dream and goal pretty much all my life. So, essentially with Factory Five Racing’s 25th year celebration of existence or “Quarter” Century for them and the “Past” from my youth, adding to that my 50th or “Half” Century Birthday and this is where the title is derived from. I know, it’s kind of silly and may not make sense to anyone, but that’s okay, it just fits the appropriate title. There’s even more strangeness that deliver date, the serial # and few other things that I found as I can only explain as fate?! And I’m cool with that! Whether someone believes in that sort of thing or not, in the end, the stars aligned magnificently for me and I couldn’t be more; humbled, proud, honored, lucky and just fortunate that it all worked out.

As I said, I have been planning for many, many, many years… Too many! And was absolutely very ready to purchase an MK4 Roadster Complete Kit in May of 2020! I’ll be totally honest, I had been monitoring closely for any upcoming announcements about the 25th Anniversary Roadster details and when it would be released for purchase. I definitely missed the 15th and just wasn’t quite ready for when the 20th Anniversary and they came and went. So, well, maybe, just maybe, I don’t know, possibly? I mean, I know it could be a long shot, but just maybe I could get one of the 24 that will be made? Since I figured they would have the Special Anniversary Editions for sale like they have in the past. Counting the past (x2 - 5 year) milestones, 15th and 20th respectively. And to think we are just a stone’s throw away from their 30th and my 55th! Time sure does fly bye…
    I’m following Factory Five very closely over the past few years, and as we got closer and closer to that year, now mid-2019 and at that time I was thinking, I got another year still, per the pattern of “5 year increment” anniversary announcements? Right? We all should all be hearing something in early April or May or June of 2020? And, so, well, I’m thinking I still got time. I know, I mean, it’s a long shot for me (budget wise) and I know it, but it’s fun to dream, right?

So, when I caught the announcement (LIVE) as Dave was going through all the details and amazing improvements on what were to be offered with the FFR 25th Anniversary MK4 Roadster. I was awe struck! I had so many mixed emotions; I was happy and jazzed about the announcement with all the cool stuff that will be released as a complete kit. And whether or not I or someone else doesn’t get one of the 24 (with 01 being raffled at the London Cobra Show), but no doubt all future roadster owners will benefit from the improvements and some of the new accessories that will be released, which works for my future complete kit too, so I thought. Oh, but I was bummed too. Man was I bummed! Honestly, I was really bummed! I figured, well, hell, there went my chance at any kind of “timing” on the calendar, hoping that the stars would align I could have a chance at one of them? I was very hopeful and would’ve been ready had this announcement come in the beginning or mid-2020, but it totally caught me off guard and I guess sometimes things just don’t work out, or do they? Looking back on it now 2+ years later --- Damn, I am a very lucky person! I really am. And I will thank FFR here and now and in the words to follow…

It’s now early October 2019 and going on two months since the official announcement back in August 9th and I’m on the factoryfive.com (website) which has been part of my morning routine. And to be honest, I was on the site pretty much every day since the announcement – DREAMING! Anyway, I’m on the site and that special - LINK: {Click here to order now!} Here is what comes with each 25th Anniversary car. Well, that very special and limited to total of twenty four (24) count in purchase numbers, yep, the one where you begin to configure your kit and see what all is offered. Yeah, that’s the link. The special one! That very special link was still {ACTIVE} and I just knew it was going to be only a matter of days and all these kits would be purchased. I actually was very surprised. I figured the kits would be all gone in a matter of days. However, I took this as a good sign for me and that’s when I truly decided to crunch numbers and develop a plan…

So, with my wife’s support, I reached out to FFR and spoke with Dave B. in sales. I explained to him the time factor issue that I was facing, that and also not being fully prepared and ready to receive a kit, due to many out-of-state family travel & business plans that I had coming up. I mean, I was still thinking 8 months out for preparations to just be ready. We discussed a possible option for me to secure one of the only few that he said were left. And, so, with the Dave’s help and approval, I decided to jump, er, click and thanks to FFR (x5) - Thank You! --Thank You!! --- Thank You!!! ---- Thank You!!!! ----- Thank You!!!!! FFR worked with me and I was able to push my completion date to Dec 28th 2019 and I am and will be so forever grateful to them! And with that, I decided to commit to an absolute over-the-top kit (I clicked every option type-of-deal) and shifted all my budget dollars at this time, putting the engine/transmission/tires/paint/etc… ALL OF IT on hold and I will instead spend all my budget dollars on the 25th Anniversary Kit Options and extra’s.

And so it was, on October 7th, 2019 I took a giant {CLICK} and leap to making my life long goal and dream a reality! I was committed and put together the options and configuration that I wanted in my kit, plus I added in a few extra’s items too. Without further ado, this is my configured build list:
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

4. Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Build Expectations and Specifications
    MKIV Complete 25th Anniversary Kit Components:
    - Bronze Chassis
    - Satin black aluminum panels
    - Anniversary GPS Gauges
    - Anniversary Wilwood Brakes
    - Exclusive bronze 18” wheels
    - Anniversary leather seats
    - Anniversary badges
    - IRS w/front & rear swaybars
    - KONI double adjustable shocks
    - Assembled louvers
    - Chrome drivers rollbar w/grommets
    - Stainless steel exhaust & bumper kit
    - Carbon fiber dash
    - Sun visors & Wind wings
    - All new body mold
    -----
    [Factory Five Racing Add-on’s]:
    351W Stainless Headers w/Kit
    Power Steering Complete w/Kit
    31 Spline IRS 8.375” Driveshaft w/Kit
    Oil Cooler
    Wiper Kit
    EFI In-Tank Fuel System
    Chrome Passenger rollbar w/Grommets
    Front Vents
    x2 Hats and x2 Shirts
    -----
    [Purchases from vendors or forum members]
    - Russ Thompson - Drop Trunk, Turn Signal & Throttle Pedal
    - Breeze (Mark Reynolds) - Battery Box
    - FFMetal - Firewall Forward Aluminum
    - 520 SpeedWorks - Boltless Roll Bar Kit
    - VRaptors Speedworks LLC - Wheel Well Liner Kit
    - Brake Reservoir - (rbachman – Rich)
    - Brake Reservoir – (bluse – Randy)
    - Defroster vents and x25 Clecos - (nuhale)
    - Power Steering Reservoir and Dash Support - (lgordon – Lance)
    - Expansion Tank and Small Brake Reservoir – (Lowrod – Gene)
    (I'm planning x3 reservoirs for separate front & rear brakes and going with hydraulic clutch and the matching power steering too. Many go for the triple CNC or other vendors, but I wanted the FFR one’s that are sold in the kits. So, another “Thank You” to all these people; the vendors, as well as those of who sold their unused parts to help me make my build the way I want It built.
    -----
    [Future Add-on’s]:
    {TBA} Engine Builder - 351W:427c.i. EFI, Power Steering & AC, w/Tremec TKX
    Factory Five Racing – 2nd Trunk Lid, Soft Top, Floor Mats, License Plate Frame and much, much more…
    Breeze Automotive – Seat Kit x2, Radiator Support and Shroud and more…
    Vintage Air - Gen II Compac (AC w/Heat & Defroster) or FFR #14616 (Heater/Defroster) Assembly
    Brake duct (cool air) venting
    Complete LED Lighting w/cockpit/trunk/under chassis lighting
    USB & Charging - Remote Jump & Charging Station in the trunk
    2nd set of high-back seats or I'll either modify the roadster seats and add a headrest
    Seat Heaters
    Gas-N Exhaust
    Boig Cool Tubes
    Car Cover
    -----
    [Bodywork & Paint]: This will be done by either (Jeff or Jeff) and I already have my color combination that I've decided on, but I'll await to announce the color when actually completed by either one of these Master Painters!
    -----
    [Tools Purchased]:
    Delta Floor Drill Press
    Delta Bench Grinder
    Shop Vice
    Shop Bench Press
    Rivet tool
    Rivnut tool
    SAE & Metric Tap and Die Set
    Digital Calipers
    Milwaukee Cobalt Drill Bits

No doubt, I’ll be buying more parts and tools and even a welder here in the future. I took classes and know how to tig, mig and stick, but I just don't have one at home as of yet. I’m planning on getting one soon, and have been saving for that. I’ll definitely want to reinforce the lower part of the dash and have a solid grab handle below the glove box for the passenger to use, even strong enough to pull you out of the passenger seat when getting out of the car. Keep in mind I’ll be running AC with defrosters too. I’ll be shortening the glove box because it only needs to hold a few papers, say 1” deep or less even. I added the Breeze Cubby for my cockpit storage. So, I’ll cross each required tool bridge when I reach those phases, where I require a specialty tool or I want to upgrade a particular part.

Anyway, I’ll add in each phase with pictures and the progress that I’ve so far accomplished. I’ve got a few things that I don’t think others have done, which will be cool to add my ideas into the future decisions for other builders to perhaps incorporate.
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-11-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Adding Vendors I have supported

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m dedicating this build to a few people:
    > My Mom and Dad of course! I sure wish they could be here to see it come into existence, since I talked about it back in my youth of always wanting to build one. I miss you more than you know and would trade it all away to just see you both and talk to you one last time.
    > I also dedicate it to my family; wife (Jill) son (Nicholas) daughter's (Carly and Joree) for without their support and just being in my life, this wouldn’t be nearly as complete. I can’t wait to take each of them for a ride and to also let them sit behind the wheel and just feel the exhilaration from being such a rock star getting to drive such a beautiful machine. With my children scattered all over the United States, it will be great to take the car from North to South and East to West and everywhere in between. Seeing the beautiful scenery of this glorious country we live in without a top.
    > Lastly, I would like to also dedicate this build to Alan Kulwicki. Alan, he was one of my favorite drivers in NASCAR and his life was cut way, way too short. Alan had that special quality about him, and no doubt, a man of many, many talents and he showed it. He’s always been an inspiration to me. He did it his way! And, so, I’ll take that advice on how he lived and apply it on this build!

Once again, I do apologize for not being more active and having my build journal out here sooner. I’ll work to get everything documented with my accompanied pictures and maybe some videos too and current as to my status. I'm taking this month to add to my story and will get my photo albums uploaded and add in the necessary links to them. I do want to share the joy that I have experienced from the very beginning... So, I guess Thanks! Thanks for having me here!

Dj or Doug or maybe just call me TheLateDude!
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-02-2021 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Grammar and Typos

7. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better late than never! Welcome and I'm looking forward to following along with your journey.

9. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Better late than never! Welcome and I'm looking forward to following along with your journey.
    Thanks egchewy79! Yeah, I was just viewing old video's (while waiting in the airport for my late plane) that I took from the delivery day and I realized, I better get my build started since I AM long overdue! Again, my bad! I meant to publish sooner, but family needed me and work has me busy as well. So, my plan has always been that it would never take priority over my other commitments and I'm sticking with that. Anyway, I'm going to work on getting the build log updated and over these next days and week(s) I'll bring it current to where the build sits. I do appreciate the welcome!

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-02-2021 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Format changes

11. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apologizing now for additions, corrections, and keeping this at the top, just ignore it since I will be pushing a lot of content up over this coming month.

11.09.19 - I began building the Chassis Dolly and the Body Buck, which will take a couple weekends to complete. I got other items on the list, specifically a leaky rear differential no my 98 Ford Ranger and other winter prep items that I want to knock off the list. I was planning on hanging the body at first, but I’ve decided to put it on a body buck. I’ll plan to finish building the Buck completely once I have the body on site. That way I can fit it better and add the necessary support(s) to avoid any sagging or bending and to just keep the body straight as possible and perhaps do as others have done and build some shelving into it for storage and project staging. Since I have limited space with all my wood working tools, I’ll take all that I can for shelves. My Roadster body will be sitting for quite a few years and I’ll make sure to support it with additional angle bracing that extend forward and rearward as well.
    ***TIP: If you have limited garage space and plan on moving you chassis around, I highly recommend adding anchor points on each corner of the chassis dolly to use with tie-down straps. This only takes the four eyelet screws (heavy duty) types, but if you should have to unload the kit on a flatbed trailer, you’ll thank yourself even if you don’t use them.
    And…
    Having your chassis strapped solid to the dolly, you can avoid any slippage or possible damage when moving. Ask me, I know! Again, you will soon see that, that very thing happened exactly to me several months into the build. My left rear passenger wheel bearing, the weld(s) broke on one of my casters and if I hadn’t added the tie-downs, I would have no doubt damaged the IRS rear-end components on the passenger side. I’m so glad I went the extra mile, and it paid off massively!***

Chassis Dolly and Body Buck Construction Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1656

Early December 2019, and I had already been in contact with Stewart Transport back on Oct 3rd 2019 regarding shipping costs. Yeah, I called them to factor in the transport cost $$$’s before I ordered my kit. So, I got everything finalized with FFR and was in contact with (Todd) at Stewart Transport and got my shipping date set. Shipping is like $1100.00 and I’m cool with that! Living here in Colorado, I’ve made the drive twice (so far) to Maryland and many more to come. I can't wait to travel north Wareham MA and visit FFR in person, someday. Plus, since it was winter time and I really didn't want to go pickup my kit, it just made sense to have it protected and shipped. My arrival date-window will be for the weekend of Jan 16th thru 18th 2020. The very first thing I do after getting off that call, put in time-away for my first days that I’ll take vacation for the 16th and 17th of 2020! Woohoo! One small step towards Delivery Day! It’s going to be a great year! <- Well, hell, we all know how that year turned out. 2020 was no doubt became a wild year and I'll think of it as two sided coin. Things were good one side, not so much on the other.

01.03.20 – I continue to get ready and days are counting down… But back in December 2019, my son (Nick) had told my wife (Jill) and I that he and his wife (Gianna) were coming to Colorado for a visit in February 2020. So, I decided after I hung up the phone that I would wait until he was here before doing anything with the car. I mean, I’ve waited all these years, what’s a little longer – PATIENCE! And since my son doesn’t live in Colorado; they have their own lives to live in AZ. Along with him, we miss our daughters a lot. So, to have my son help me get the build started with taking the body off the chassis and get it mounted on the body buck – PRICELESS!!!!! I wish I had more time, but I'll take what I can get - LIFE!

01.13.20 - I received some pics from FFR (Jay K.) and my Roadster Kit is on the truck – WOOHOO! It’s the first time I got to see my car and it was so cool and surreal. The dream state of fog is lifting and clarity is beginning to take the stage. I actually didn’t want to know the number until the last minute and I was totally fine with that. It was kind of like becoming a new father. I didn’t even know my sequence build ## until I got these photos. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to Factory Five Racing’s 25th Anniversary MK4 Roadster #19.

01.16.20 – Oh boy, it’s the beginning of a special few days ahead. I am now in the window for delivery, but the target day is actually scheduled for tomorrow the 17th. For now, all I can do is patiently wait for Stewart Transport to deliver my roadster to my home. I’m waiting with all these emotions stirring inside with total jubilation and excitement. This is unbelievable, but believable and so awesome to feel and experience! Everyone really needs to build their dream, just to feel that exhilaration! Possibly 24 hours out before arrival, am I ready? I better get back to working on last minute items.

01.17.20 - The next day came and went, and still no Santa HaHa. No, really, Todd with Stewart Transport said it could be between the 16th and 18th or whatever depending on the weather. Again, for now, I will wait until I see that lovely Stewart Transport 18 Wheeler with the Beautiful Factory Five Racing Billboard Banner on each side pull-up to my home. That in itself is very special. All I can do is keep busy and continue to be grateful - Thanks Factory Five Racing! Thanks Stewart Transport! Tick, Tick, Tick… goes the seconds!

01.18.20 - And, well, here we are on the 18th, deliver is now depending on the stormy weather across multiple states happening across a large swath of the Midwest and Easterly states. I’ve been monitoring the weather reports closely, since there is a high wind watch across all of eastern Colorado. That and along with the storm heading eastward, the driver is clearly heading directly into it – Bummer! I did get a call from Stewart Transport Driver (Kelly) and he is obviously dealing with some treacherous conditions and I told him to just take his time and if it takes days, then it will just have to take more time! All good - Mother Nature Always Wins! And I waited this long, what’s a few more days! Well, I got a call back mid-day from (Kelly) and he said he would be at my home tomorrow between 8-10am on the 19th. The 19th! Can you believe it? That is the number of my car. It just doesn’t get any cooler than that! I think back to when I was nineteen and that was probably my best year of my life! I remember back when I was wrenching on Ol’ Blue… <shakes head> - wake up – wake UP --- WAKE UP! <24hrs to go before delivery, you still got things that still need to be done!!!

01.19.20 - And then it was in the early morning of the calendar year of January 19, 2020 and I woke with the biggest smile on my face! I was up at 4am of course, like a giddy child on Christmas Day and so it was for me! I was all but as ready as I could be? I needed more time, but I crammed everything I could-in to getting ready, and so, I hope that I am? The biggest thing, hopefully my chassis dolly is built strong enough and will be easy to move in and out of the garage, since I don’t have a whole lot of extra space to work in there.
    So, as the early morning rolled on… I was just getting everything set and trying to think of any issues that I might get resolved before it was go-time-show-time. Who would have thought I forgot not only to add window cleaner in my wife’s car, but I forgot to clean the back window. I didn’t even think about that ??? Well, I did forget and that what a bummer!!!
    ***TIP: Clean escort vehicle window and make sure you have washer fluid too, that is if you plan to do any escorting and I highly recommend it if you can. Nothing like leading that beautiful semi-truck and getting a “literal front row seat” and becoming a part of the story, not just waiting for your dream to arrive!***

01.19.20 @07:45AM MST - I get a call from Kelly and he was about to head my way, but was once again concerned about getting into my neighborhood as was I. Here’s some background; I live on a <no outlet> or “dead end” road and I too had some concerns from the go, as to whether or not Stewart Transport would be able to get their 18 wheeler into my neighborhood. I know that he will have to back down my street, but it’s quiet. I sure hope his rig can make it to my home.
    Where was I, oh yeah, so I voiced my concerns earlier with Stewart Transport and (Todd) said it would be up to the driver to make any final call? Anyway, Kelly and I discussed the map over the phone and I advised that my only concern really for him was being able to make a right-hand turn into my main neighborhood. I told him I was prepared to enact a plan to where I could set a “pick” and allow his rig to be in the (left lane) while I put on my hazard lights in the (right lane) on one of our more busier avenues and this would gain him the extra distance to make the nice sweeping arc for a right turn. We agreed the plan!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Format changes

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I jumped in my wife’s car and drove to meet him so I could guide him to my home and help make it as easy as possible for him to navigate. And this is when I wish I would have known to clean the window or have washer fluid at least. Who would have thought to add that to your list of preparations?! Add it if you may possibly escort the rig. I took some video, but again, the window was dirty and the wiper fluid was out, even – DOH!!! Anyway, I was so jazzed and pumped, huge smile, it was just a crazy feeling escorting in that beautiful moving billboard. We drove down 35th Ave (two lanes) and there is less traffic on an early Sunday morning where I live, so I had that in my favor, but there were 5-6 cars Anyway, I set the “pick” and the cars queued behind his rig – Plan worked perfect! You just got to appreciate and love when a good plan comes together! I hope for the same with my build!

Stewart Transport Delivery Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1661

I want to take a quick moment and Thank (Kelly) from Stewart Transport. Kelly is one of the drivers they have and he did an awesome job! I mean, these drivers are not only delivering the goods, but they’re packing them and making sure we receive all our boxes and parts. As he was telling me about the hellacious conditions he was dealing and the reason for my postponed delivery date. All good! He even apologized that the trailer was dirty and usually gets it washed before dropping off the kits, I was cool with that. I’m just glad he made it safely, not only for his well-being, but carry all the precious cargo. I would use Stewart Transport and would do it time and time again! I mean, if you’re not going to directly make the pilgrimage to the Factory Five Racing Headquarters and pick up your kit in person, then I would suggest going with Stewart Transport. They have the expertise, equipment, training, knowledge and they’re just the best at what they do – Transporting Merchandise Safely. And don’t forget the best part of the delivery from ST, that is, the delivery adds to the excitement and experience. To see, live and feel that beautiful Factory Five Racing moving billboard roll up to your home with your dream inside. Neighbors are coming out and wondering WTH is going on – PRICELESS! I videoed and took many pictures of the beautiful semi-truck and loved every single minute of the delivery! Thanks Stewart Transport and Thanks to the driver (Kelly) for getting my kit delivered safely and securely!

OH, AND DON’T FORGET TO TIP THE DRIVER. HE BROUGHT YOUR DREAM TO YOU SAFELY - Thanks Kelly!

Delivery Day Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...1&d=1579549041
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-02-2021 at 11:17 PM. Reason: link and pic changes

Post Thanks / Like
    01.21.20 - As of this morning, I’m elbow deep in going through the inventory. I think I overestimated the complexity of this process and it’s pretty overwhelming. I guess it would be easier to inventory every part and be able to put them on a shelf and be ready to go, but that’s not going to happen. I’ll do what others advise and just make sure to document the part is in the box it came in. I took time opening the Assembly Manual and thumbed through that for quite a long while. I hadn’t really opened up any parts fully, but when I opened the box with the wood steering wheel, yeah, I had to make pretend and contemplate having it connected and just driving along – so, sooo cool!

Again, I’m in no hurry. I actually took a couple weeks to go through my inventory, even making a call to FFR 30+ days afterwards on some issues that I had discovered. I like many, had POL items, but I have no problems waiting a little longer; since I’m planning approximate 5 year build, and I just want to take my time and try and do the best I can and build a car that can match the significance of this anniversary edition and significance of the #19 that I have, which that meant so much in my youth. That is my main goal and priority! Build it with very few mistakes as possible and all the grace of being a show car, but it will be a daily (weather permitting) as possible. I do not want it to stay in the garage constantly or be a trailer queen, and it will encounter many a rain storms (hopefully no hail) in my future adventures. No snow, of course! Living in Colorado, this car will have to go into hibernation, but only when there is snow/ice on the road. If it’s just a cold day, it’s going to see the road rain or shine.

I want to take another moment and give praise to Factory Five Racing and their commitment to making things right for each builder. Please, don’t bad mouth this company here or anywhere, without contacting them and giving them some time to resolve the issue(s) you may be having. Even posting your displeasure out here on the site is not doing anyone any good. Dave Smith and everyone at FFR did an outstanding job addressing all concerns I had. FFR wants YOU to be satisfied and they will go out of their way to make it right! They go way beyond any other company that is in operation, seriously! Their level of customer service is 2nd to none! So, once again, a HUGE THANKS to all them for what they did for me, prior to my order, during my purchase, after receiving my kit and so far throughout this entire journey. You don’t get this level of customer satisfaction form just any company. Factory Five Racing stands on the podium alone when it comes to customer service. That’s not just fluff, but truth! I had some problems and issues with some parts and FFR corrected each of them. I am total proof that they have outstanding customer service! Give them a chance to make it right and they will!

Inventory Album: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1994
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Format Changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, onward with the build…

January – February 2019 - Inventory continues and it was Christmas smiles for each and every box, bag, label and tag that I touched! I was just smiling and smiling with every item I could touch and feel, imagining mounting it or doing some kind of cut or modification to make it work. Even with many of the forum recommendation’s, which I’ll point out the ones I did for sure.

02.03.20 – Today is a special day and this is when it all really began. My son Nicholas (Nick) was here to help me with finally putting a wrench to the very first bolts. I let him take the lead and figure I would sit back and just absorb the significance of it all. I don’t get to see him but a couple times a year and to watch him as a man help me unbolt the quick-jack bolts to reveal this beautiful chassis for the first time, I think was pretty special for a father to experience. The one thing my Dad Willie had and I’ve got it from him – Patience. Good things, no GREAT THINGS come to those who wait! It’s been a joyful wait and I’m ready to finally lay eyes on and see the bronze powder coat up close and in the sunlight. He also helped me finish and strengthen the body buck with additional bracing as to keep the body completely straight as possible.

Body Removal and placed on the Body Buck Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1995
    Oh, that is so purty!

NOTE: I used Jeff Kleiner's idea with the pvc poles on the side to remove the body. I didn't have larger diameter one's, which I'll get when it goes back on, but that worked slick with just the two of us. Thanks Jeff!
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:56 AM. Reason: format changes

Post Thanks / Like
    03-06.20 – I pretty much focused on getting parts that I wanted to secure and some tools that I needed. I mean, let’s face it, that list of tools (above) didn’t appear overnight. I have to give some much needed focus to the house as well as other things helping my children when and where I can. And to be honest, I have to let the coffers build back up, since I spent well over my budget on the initial purchase. It was during these initial few months is when I was contacting vendors on this site and watching for community members garage sales for selective parts that I wanted to incorporate.
    NOTE: See the Build Expectations and Specifications for a complete list of vendors and forum family member names that I've purchased parts from, I'm going to document them up there. But yeah, I'm on watch-and-hunt for the parts that I desire for this build.

From March thru May I found myself not doing much on the car. Remember as I said earlier in my story, my initial original plan was to actually begin building in June, so I’m moving along accordingly and slightly ahead, but I know that I will fall back and that’s okay. It’s all part of the long term plan. I am going to follow the manual where I see fit. I’m also scouring The Factory Five Forum (this place!) for ideas and helpful guidance in all the various builds that are available.

I mean, I could blame my delay on waiting on a POL item, but I’m honestly it's not. Sure I have some, but whatever it is that holds you back, you just switch gears and move onto something else. Make your build fluid and you can’t really be held up. I know I'm doing that. They say you build the car two or three or more times, yeah, I got no problem with that!

I’m planning to give each step a great deal of care and I can’t say it enough times. I just want the car to be built to the best of my abilities that I can. I’m actually undecided on a few things and so I’m going about this at a pace that will work for me to make some final decisions before proceeding forward. If necessary, I’ll take a step back to jump forward with maybe a different idea(s), part(s) or setup. It is about planning and not getting so far ahead that something that may need changed or undone, can't be or could possibly damage other parts in removal. I don’t want any regrets when I reach the end! I want to know that each phase was carefully thought out and the end result is a full blown over-the-top build that I’ll be satisfied with.

04.08.20 - I purchased a brake reservoir from a fellow vendor (rbachman). Thanks Rich! As stated in the Build Expectations and Specifications, I decided that I was going with as many Original FFR Parts where I want to stay more “true” to the build as possible. Month of April moved along and I was still in study and researching the various build threads out on TFFForum. There are so many to go through – Brilliant shout-out to all of you!

05.06.20 – Today I decided to take the first step prepping the F-Panels with clecos. I decided early on in my build, that the front slot vents, oil cooler and hood scope would all be very functional. I’m planning on utilizing the front brake vents for both foot boxes and something to the front brakes as well, if that is possible? I don’t think anyone has done something like this, splitting the vent? I’m probably wrong and I just haven’t found an example as of yet. I’ll most likely have to fabricate some venting parts if I can’t find them in aftermarket options.

05.15.20 - So, I would want to be able to remove the “elephant ears” or splash guards. And that is why I am going with Rivnuts and not rivets. With this idea (since I don’t think I’ve seen this done yet,) but I am adding in a total of only (x5) Rivnuts at ¼ diameter and ½” in length. You see it, don’t you? What, you don’t? Think of the title! For those who think I’m crazy, let me explain… The F-Panel w/x5 or F5 and ¼ or .25 and 1/2” or .50 length. F5-25-50 or F5 ¼ past ½ - pretty cool? Hah. Okay, it’s a stretch I am using ¼ Rivnuts where possible. Adding my little hidden touches throughout the entire build, just as Leonardo da Vinci or Vincent Van Gogh, a couple of my favs would do with their masterpieces. Bring whatever it is you’re creating into reality with more than just a purpose. Form Follows Function Follows F-Yeah!

My very first drilled hole in the chassis and I took the time to enjoy the moment:
    F-Panel Installation Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2002
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:56 AM. Reason: format changes

17. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    05.15.20 – I next worked on getting the upper A-arms modified with the proper specifications as to be able to have a solid alignment as specified and even compensate accordingly if I ever want to track the car. Time to cut the aluminum sleeves and do that modification: {insert name of original person who inspired this mod? HERE}. I took my time and cut them with my band-saw and then did a final finish with a belt sander. I wanted to keep just a “hair” of the sleeve without going into the hex form of the turnbuckle. Measure once, twice and even three times before making the cut -or- cut a little, check? Cut a little more, check? And carefully dial it in for each part or step to avoid mistakes. Planning is key before doing!

A-Arms Modification and Front Suspension Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1999

05.21.20 – I got some really awesome parts in the mail today. My (RT–Russ Thompson: DT-Drop trunk, TS-Turn Signal) and throttle pedal arrived. Man, these are parts sweet! Very fine and exquisite craftsmanship – Thanks Russ! I had spoken to Russ for over 30minutes on our initial phone call. Russ is an awesome person to talk at and I’m just so honored to have his parts in my build. I’m hoping to work with him on a dead pedal w/hi & low headlight switch that is incorporated into the top of it. I kicked around the idea to him on the phone and perhaps I can collaborate on a design I was thinking about. I really want my hi/low beam switch on the floor and not on the signal post or on the dash. I drove cars with the high low on the floor and it just seems to be the ideal location and that’s where mine will be. Anyway, I highly recommend that you purchase Russ’ parts to use in your own build. I can honestly promise you will not be disappointed! As said, I’ll be purchasing the dead pedal, clutch and brake pedals to match in the future...
    Note: I’ll post later on the dead pedal/hi&low combo status, if that gets developed and or I’ll fabricate one.
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Format changes

19. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    06.03.20 – I went ahead and ordered the Moog tie rod ends that (edwardb – Paul) did on his build. When they arrived, one of the ball joint covers was damaged, so again, taking the advice from (Paul) I ordered the Energy Suspension covers and I love them. I decided to paint the parts while I was waiting for the covers to arrive.
    I know that I might be going the extra mile, but some of these parts can’t be powder coated and I have the chance now to paint them, so I’m just taking my time on my ride! (My theme Song)

Moog Tie Rod Upgrade Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2001

07.03-04.20 – Time to assemble the front suspension and add-in the steering rack too.

Power Steering Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2004

07.07.20 – I decided to work on the front hubs next. And thanks to a thread post that was in (toadster – Todd’s build) where forum member (CaddyDad) mentioned removing the tone rings from the hubs, for which he credited (edwardb – Paul’s) build thread. Hah – The things you see here in there in others builds and how others have used the ideas. Why reinvent the wheel? And so I decided to do just that. I used my dremel and took my time, carefully cutting down slowly. I got them 85% cut through, pushed in a screw driver as it was said the thread(s) and they just snapped as mentioned. The ring popped right off. All I can say is: TONE IT DOWN ALREADY!

Front Hubs Album:

07.19.20 – I got the front suspension pretty much all set. I have most of it torque and thread locker added to pretty much everything and I’ll add in my witness marks before she is on the road. I’m kicking around some possible changes and maybe running my brake lines in such a way that I don’t puncture the frame needlessly and elevate them with the help of the power steering rack bolts? I’ll have to fabricate some brackets to make it happen, so I’m in a holding pattern for now, since I want to make sure what I do is “safe” but aesthetically pleasing and incorporate some other that I’m incorporating with the fuel and brake lines. So, I’m going to come back to these once I get all my aluminum panels drilled and clecoed, and I can then have a better idea how I can mount them on the aluminum and not on the frame. I am planning on running the rear brake line down and (inside) the driver’s side foot box as to protect it as much as possible, like others have done.

Front Suspension Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2004

Next I began to assemble the rear suspension and all that goes together. I want to say right here and right now, the rear geometry with the IRS Suspension is a work of art! I found myself staring at it a very long time throughout the assembly process. So, hats off to the design team at FFR (Jim and Jesper and all that are involved) with the design and trigonometry. The beauty is something to just behold. Awesome work FFR! It was at this moment and phase is when I truly realized that having the chassis in the bronze color or a different color other than the traditional black was very cool. It allowed for other parts that are painted or powder coated black to shine on through, whereas they would normally just blend together not capturing your attention to stare at them longer. So, if you are considering powder coating your chassis a different color if that is within your budget and time frame as well, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Of course you can’t go wrong with traditional black chassis color.

Rear End IRS, Shocks, CV Axles and Hubs Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2005
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Format url link changes

21. Likes toadster liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Try not to overthink, overanalyze, or over document your build.
    Just schedule for a few hours each week and it will get done.
    Will life and finances get in the way, likely they will.
    From experience, the journey is worth it.

Good Luck, Keep Wrenching & Watch Your Pinkies!

PS:..It took me five (5) years to complete my car plus an additional six (6) months to get it titled and plated.

FFR #8,515
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-mk4-roadster/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-03-2021 at 05:53 AM.

23. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, toadster, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey GoDadGo! Steve, I do appreciate the advice and of course any guidance too! I consider you and many other seasoned builders out here, those who take their time and share; knowledge and help guide new builders and not just being a Teacher, but actually reaching the Professor status. Of course, there are the Master Builders out here as well, and (edwardb - Paul) is no doubt one of them, along with many others. I've gone over your build and watched a bunch of your videos too, and it's very much appreciated and not just by me, as others have noted throughout the thread.

As for myself and my build, it's something I can't escape from :P My skills and technical roles (past and present) always seem to stay in the forefront of my brain pan. And though I try not to over think things, inevitably I do. I seem to strive for the most optimal and complete solution to problems that I encounter.

A really great friend of mine once said "Every time you do something you Sandinize it! I laughed! And thought... he was right! (RIP Scotty). As I explained it to him, then, I look at life in general and various problems for that matter like a diamond, for me an amethyst. If you just ever so gently twist it, the radiance and sheen and view changes just ever so slightly. Move it a little more and you'll see another view and gain another perspective. Move it some more and it changes again. I guess it's just how I operate and I've learned to use it. I call it finding the "Apollo 13" (my favorite # btw) moment! Discovering a solution that wasn't so apparent at the time to everyone, but it's the one that makes sense and just fits, but perhaps is not others would have done.

So, I chose to write my build this way, since my audience is not only directed at other builders, that is, if it helps anyone. But mostly for my children and grandson (hopefully) a few more in the future and other extended family members and friends and even myself. I also want to go back from time-to-time and re-read it and re-live each step and phase. So, I'm kind of writing it in 3rd person, I guess. I'm also playing catch-up since I got busy doing other things in my life that are for more important to me than even building my dream. I made a deal with GOD, that is, if I should confess to the fact and I'm okay with letting it never take priority in my life. I really am. I'm so blessed already in so many other areas and having this dream car, before was unbelievable, and now it's believable. I'm not really a social butterfly, and I don't play in certain social media's sandboxes, they're just not for me. But I figure I would let my hair down (what little I have left) and write my story to share here and only here.

See, I did it again just on this response to you - DOH!

Anyway, again, I do appreciate the words of advice and will try and stream-line and be more active out-here all together too.

Oh, and one last thing. I consider myself a dark-side follower! I guess if I can forgive all that use the newer motors, why not for other builders who use other brands that some consider "un-natural." Sorry, geeky Star Wars reference there! So, your power plant is of your choice and I'll respect that. However, I'm still working up to accepting an electric motor, which is inevitably the next-gen builds that I'm sure we'll all see in the future...

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-03-2021 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typos

25. Likes Ted G liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad to see the progress! Trust me - what GoDadGo says is so true... 1/2 the stuff, ok maybe 80% of the stuff that you fret about only YOU will know about it once the body is on
    nobody will know the details and pain you went through for those stainless nuts, or the extra powdercoat (or paint) - but do what works for you!

I've learned really well to walk away when frustrated, so Im thankful for this forum to teach me that... I'm not an expert builder and I post my successes AND failures, because they're bound to happen again so education is key!
    keep it up! post more, chat more! We're all rootin for ya!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

27. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Toadster! Yeah, I know GoDadGo is correct! Trust me, I'm way over thinking this for sure. But there's no turning back now.

While you are here, I gotta give you a shout-out and say - Thanks! I've been following your thread here and on your (cobradreams) site. BTW Cool url! You're doing a great job and the ABS and it's really coming together. Nice work on that mod. I'll be watching what you do electrical wise. I also gotta thank you for the inspiration on the electric parking brakes too. it's a little pricey, but I also think it's the more optimal solution to totally remove the parking brake, and do completely away with the cables and having to do the pulley cable mod, which I would do if I kept them. I do like the hand brake as it provides more originality, but that passenger side cockpit is cramped enough. Plus, I think the Wilwood e-brake are a perfect compliment to the the rear brakes that are in the kit.

Anyway, thanks for the cheer! I'll have more time to post, which is why I'm more active as of late on the site. I'm trying to get my build story current, which is motivating me to be out here more.

Keep up the great work on your build, you're getting closer!

Dj

29. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    08.03.20 – I decided when I started this build that my theme was 25 & 50 or Silver/Stainless/Chrome/Aluminum & Gold/Bronze/Brass accents. I’ve chosen brass since gold is not in the budget. Brass will work for what I want to do with it. I ordered some stock brass and have begun to make various brackets or parts that can play a specific role. I guess I want my build to be the elephant in the room (parking lot) that gets lots of attention. I decided to make some brass accents that can act as covers and add some bling throughout the car. I like how they came out and how the brass hardware will give it a wink and compliments the silver and black parts throughout the entire car.

Kiss My Brass Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2006

08.13.20 and throughout August - I’m finally at a point where I want to spend some time on the (RT – Russ Thompson: Drop Trunk Mod) that I purchased way back in May. I’m actually waiting on some funding to proceed on some other items. I want to make some changes and I think I’ll upgrade the entire fuel sending system, but I’ll keep the FFR supplied gas tank. So, why not attempt the (Russ Thompson Drop Trunk) now and put my touch on it, that is, that I have a unique way I want to implement it. Again, since this chassis is a special run of bronze, my goal is to accentuate and show-it-off as much as possible, wherever possible. Now, most builders cut the supplied trunk aluminum from FFR, so that the chassis frame shows completely, but it exposes the frame to scratching and damaging from hauling “stuff” in the trunk. For those with a black chassis, it’s easy to touch up with paint, but this bronze, not so much. So, I decided that I would attempt to keep the aluminum in place (on top) like normal, but remove the rest around each bar. I also decided to go with the sharp angles, helping to accentuate the aluminum and frame together, instead of using small arcs in the corners. I’m also not planning on carpeting the entire trunk. I have my idea and I’ll show that later when I come back to the trunk in the future…

Russ Thompson Drop Trunk Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1998
    NOTEs:
    1). I worked with Russ and he sent me a piece of aluminum (see parts photo) so I can add a cover on the top. I'm planning to use magnets and avoid a hinge setup.
    2). And my rivet spacing got a little wonky here, but I was trying to get a balance and could've used a little more planning, but they will be covered with insulation and carpet.
    3). I'm not going with full carpet throughout. I plan to have aluminum sides and carpet only on the "floor" of the trunk. I want to have some aluminum show as well, throughout the trunk.

As I was working on the fabrication of Russ' DT Mod for the day, I earlier (back in January) had taken a peek at the wheels back when I was doing inventory. I decided to get two of them out and mounted them to get some motivation. Well, that and JD stopped by to celebrate, so I couldn't resist a few shots with Jack. I had to just take a moment to take it all in! Cheers!
    Now, when Dave Smith announced the 25th Anniversary Roadster, I immediately fell in love with the wheel design. I'm so glad I have a set!

08.29.20 - Gas Tank Temporary Install. I planned to replace all black oxide bolt hardware with stainless steel. Again, trying to keep with my silver/gold them. So, I'll pull this out again and add-in some upgrades and changes to the fuel system (pump/filter/lines) etc...

Gas Tank Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2007
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Format changes and URL Add's

31. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking good. just curious, why'd you keep the aluminum over the trunk supports in your drop trunk mod? most people just cut a large rectangle, exposing the diagonal braces, which makes the cutting a lot easier. If you're carpeting your trunk, you could always wrap the bars with carpet if it really bugs you having them exposed.

33. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great question and thanks, egchewy79! Let me explain that... I'm planning on only putting sounds matting and carpet on the floor of the (RT-Drop Trunk) and on the rest of the "horizontal" surfaces only, except for the those two trunk supports. I'm going to use Velcro to attach the carpet to the sound matting and not glue it in. All vertical aluminum pieces will will be prepped with 220 grit sandpaper and then I'll add the SharkHide product to protect them, along with these two braces. My goal was to have the black carpet flooring, then the aluminum sidewalls and have this kind of altered stepping in the trunk. I'm striving for few things:
    1). Mainly having the small strip of aluminum on top will add some protection for the bronze chassis supports. And should give a really cool effect once it's done.
    2). Throughout this build, I'm trying to do a blend that represent my "time theme," which is: (silver for 25yrs = aluminum or chrome or stainless & gold for 50yrs = the bronze or brass). accents. You'll find that all my rivnuts will have a hex brass bolt to add a sprinkle and twinkle.
    3). And I'm not to worried about full sound proofing in the trunk. I'm still not sure if I'll add a stereo and if I do, then I'll have race radios for driver and passenger to listen and communicate. I suspect as everyone says, that the engine and wind noise really won't be anymore louder if the trunk isn't full sound proofed. So, I'm focused more on the aesthetics of the trunk.

And to be completely honest, I'm standing in the shadow of everyone here, and it feels so cool! <pun intended>. However, I do want to put my own little twist on things. So, I'm trying to find ways where my build is just a little bit different. I'm also trying to test some of my fab skills where I can, along the way. I figured that if I could pull it off, in the end it will look really awesome when I have the trunk open. Having the black carpet and then some aluminum and bronze accents of the frame exposed here-n-there with the trunk supports and the rest of the chassis frame. It should look pretty sweet once it's done. I'm planning something very similar in the cockpit, that is, when I get to that stage.

I also knew going into making all the cuts, that if I wasn't able to pull-it-off, then I would just get rid of them by making the smaller cuts and then it would be like most others. So, Honestly, I was just testing my abilities with cutting and fab skills, since I got other things planned in the build. I actually hope that nobody has ever done this and perhaps this will be one-of-many things that I can offer for others to try and get a little bookmark in my build story to say that I pioneered the idea? I'm not sure if anyone has done it this way? I'm only trying to contribute to ideas that others can use and to use the appropriate phrase here - To think outside the box! <pun intended> Again.

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-04-2021 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typos

35. Likes egchewy79, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering arms are reversed.

37. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are they really? Hah! And here I was just following along on dbo-texas' build and was reading the comments and commented as well. And mine are backwards too, that's hilarious! ROOKIE! Me that is - DOH! I guess being green will fit nicely, since that is the color I am going with.

Anyway, thanks so much mosh1999 for pointing that out! This is exactly why I meant to get my build thread out here earlier for others to give me "eyes-on" advice and feedback.

I do hope to get to work on it this weekend and will correct the error. I'm sure this won't be my only one. Again, thanks for noticing my mistake, I really do appreciate it!

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR should REALLY work on their documentation! Would be a great intern project to learn and document!
    I think it's a 50/50 chance that people install the steering arms on the wrong sides (I did it too!)

keep up the work! Like I keep telling myself, it's not gonna build itself!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

40. Likes ydousurf, CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

I am really enjoying following your build! I love the attention to detail and your personalizations of it all. I may borrow a few on my build. You and a few others have convinced me to go with a bare frame and powder coat myself. I'm pretty sure I'm going with Ford Corporate Blue (mid blue) for my frame. Keep it up!!
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

42. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Todd! I keep telling myself the same, it's defiantly NOT going to build itself. I'm planning to try and bring my build thread current this weekend. And yeah, the manual could use some updates and clarification on certain steps. However, that's where this site comes in, and more importantly, all the seasoned builders caring and sharing their knowledge. I know it's been said before, but I too could not build my dream either without the help from of this site! And that compliment extends to all of you! So, again, thanks for all the help and feedback. I do plan to sell all my unused parts in the future and use those dollars to become a supportive member, just to give back to something that has given me so much.

Oh, and btw, my late night response (above) was due to picking up our daughter from the airport, who was able to get a last minute red-eye flight to come home for Thanksgiving, for which my wife and I are very thankful for. Otherwise, I'll try to limit my responses to the daylight hours
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Grammar / Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ted,

I tell you... You will not regret going with a different color for the frame! And you can't go wrong with blue, especially a Ford blue variant! I know it will be more work and $$$'s, but you will surely appreciate it in the long run. The contrast with all the black powder coated/painted parts adds such a great look, and brings the focus to those parts that otherwise go really unnoticed. Plus, you can clean up the weld spatter and fix any flaws to make it look slick! I know I'm nit-picking, but I guess that's just me.

And thanks for the compliments on details too. I said going into this build that it would not be a normal build like many do. That's not a shot at anyone or "attention to detail" persae, but more so, that I would be building it out of order. I blew my budget on the anniversary edition, and then realized, I now have no budget limit. I just need time to purchase and implement all the cool mods. And yes, please use any ideas that you want to incorporate in your own build. I'm obviously borrowing from others and trying to put my own spin on some of them. So, have at it my friend!

I hope to do some more, such as following:
    > Folding down the cubby divider wall to have the entire trunk space open. I'm ordering the brass piano hinge this next week.
    > I'm planning to make the cubby door slide on delrin or another "slippery" plastic and use a magnetic lock to keep it closed/locked. I decided that if I install a stereo, then any and all speakers will come from the dash/trans tunnel/doors and not from behind the seats. Not that, that's a bad idea, i just want the cubby door to slide open. If I can't pull-it-off, I'll then add a brass hinge and have it open into the trunk space.
    > I'm adding a clock inside the glove box door. With air conditioning going in, I won't have much of a glove box for depth. I only need it for registration and insurance papers anyway. The clock, it's kind of a nod and throw-back to the 69 Mustang Fastback Cobra Jet version.
    (The 67 & 69 are my fav mustangs of the yester-years gone bye. I had a chance to get a 69 428 CJ, but opted to get me a cobra replica instead.)

And hopefully a few other mods:
    > Solid grab handle and lower dash support cage to hold the speakers.
    > Raised panel heat shields on the foot boxes.
    > Possibly dual venting for both the front brakes and the foot boxes too.
    > LED lighting in the trunk, cockpit and hopefully underneath as well.
    > And I'm hoping to work with both FFR and Russ Thompson to innovate a couple of things that they can then offer to others, I'm just about to begin to open that dialogue with each. If they're not interested, I'll make them on my own. I'm a mechanical/architectural engineer and my artist skills always leads me to design and innovate crazy ideas that I truly do love to bring into existence. My Christmas gifts are over the top!

Anyway, if you have any questions or anywhere I can help, just reach out anytime.
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-25-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    08.03.20 – I decided when I started this build that my theme was 25 & 50 or Silver/Stainless/Chrome/Aluminum & Gold/Bronze/Brass accents. I’ve chosen brass since gold is not in the budget. Brass will work for what I want to do with it. I ordered some stock brass and have begun to make various brackets or parts that can play a specific role. I guess I want my build to be the elephant in the room (parking lot) that gets lots of attention. I decided to make some brass accents that can act as covers and add some bling throughout the car. I like how they came out and how the brass hardware will give it a wink and compliments the silver and black parts throughout the entire car.

Kiss My Brass Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2006

08.13.20 and throughout August - I’m finally at a point where I want to spend some time on the (RT – Russ Thompson: Drop Trunk Mod) that I purchased way back in May. I’m actually waiting on some funding to proceed on some other items. I want to make some changes and I think I’ll upgrade the entire fuel sending system, but I’ll keep the FFR supplied gas tank. So, why not attempt the (Russ Thompson Drop Trunk) now and put my touch on it, that is, that I have a unique way I want to implement it. Again, since this chassis is a special run of bronze, my goal is to accentuate and show-it-off as much as possible, wherever possible. Now, most builders cut the supplied trunk aluminum from FFR, so that the chassis frame shows completely, but it exposes the frame to scratching and damaging from hauling “stuff” in the trunk. For those with a black chassis, it’s easy to touch up with paint, but this bronze, not so much. So, I decided that I would attempt to keep the aluminum in place (on top) like normal, but remove the rest around each bar. I also decided to go with the sharp angles, helping to accentuate the aluminum and frame together, instead of using small arcs in the corners. I’m also not planning on carpeting the entire trunk. I have my idea and I’ll show that later when I come back to the trunk in the future…

Russ Thompson Drop Trunk Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1998
    NOTEs:
    1). I worked with Russ and he sent me a piece of aluminum (see parts photo) so I can add a cover on the top. I'm planning to use magnets and avoid a hinge setup.
    2). And my rivet spacing got a little wonky here, but I was trying to get a balance and could've used a little more planning, but they will be covered with insulation and carpet.
    3). I'm not going with full carpet throughout. I plan to have aluminum sides and carpet only on the "floor" of the trunk. I want to have some aluminum show as well, throughout the trunk.

As I was working on the fabrication of Russ' DT Mod for the day, I earlier (back in January) had taken a peek at the wheels back when I was doing inventory. I decided to get two of them out and mounted them to get some motivation. Well, that and JD stopped by to celebrate, so I couldn't resist a few shots with Jack. I had to just take a moment to take it all in! Cheers!
    Now, when Dave Smith announced the 25th Anniversary Roadster, I immediately fell in love with the wheel design. I'm so glad I have a set!

08.29.20 - Gas Tank Temporary Install. I planned to replace all black oxide bolt hardware with stainless steel. Again, trying to keep with my silver/gold them. So, I'll pull this out again and add-in some upgrades and changes to the fuel system (pump/filter/lines) etc...

Gas Tank Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2007
    Just a comment on the stainless hardware. Be careful where you put it, it is not as strong as say Grade 8 bolts if it is in a critical spot.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

46. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jryasko,

Thanks for the concern and point well taken! I'm only replacing the bolts for; sway bar mounts, foot pedal box bracket to firewall and the gas tank straps. The front ones in the kit were a tad smaller in length. I am using military grade and I believe I'll be okay for these areas. As for the brass accents, those are mostly for "bling" and in not so critical areas. The break/failure loads should well be within parameters in where they are, and most are there just for sparkle. I do a appreciate the feedback - Thanks!
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Grammar / Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    This page is reserved for Time-Warp Table of Contents. I’ll eventually build out the map for my build which can bring some clarity to the ever changing date & time continuum. I think this is what happens when you get caught in the flux capacitor? Anyway, these links will take you to the future, but for right now, it’s the present. So, buckle up Dorothy! Because your past dreams are going bye-bye and now only the REALality of it all awaits…
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Corrections

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, officially giving this the TIME TITLE: Back2TheFuture…

I keep thinking I wish I had a time machine. And it would be a cobra replica and that would be just so damn cool! Oh well, I’m no Marty McFly or Doc Brown for that matter, but I sure feel like a little bit of both! Either way, I still got to get back to the future! I’m working on getting my pics uploaded and so I can get caught up in real-time updates. So, onward with the F5Log / Story / Journey…

Where was I, oh yeah -

08.31.20 – Time to change out the wheel studs. Eh, my big mistake! I tried to do them with just some washers and oil/grease/lube and that did not go so well at all! I spoke with (Dave C. @FFR) and order a 2nd set. He gave some advice to use the ABN Wheel Stud Installer bearing tool, which will make this process go smooth.

I took his advice, ordered the part for a few bucks. I decided to paint up the wheel hubs while I waited for the tool to arrive. Once I received the ABN bearing, I gave it a try and the studs went in like butter! I did have a problem where I used Grade 5 Nuts to pull the wheel studs into the hub and the nuts threads actually peeled out. The stud was fine, and the nut was sacrificed. The only thing I should’ve done different was to get a 2nd nut (backup) at the time of the initial purchase. I ran back to hardware store for another one. All ten studs went in just fine.
    ***TIP – Purchase the Wheel Stud Installer Bearing tool, it just makes it so much easier***

Wheel Stud Album:

09.01.20 - I’m about to begin to move into holding pattern for the next couple of months. You see, I love woodworking! My other half of the garage is filled with my shop tools; table saw, band saw, sander, drill press, and the numerous hand tools. Anyway, I've created custom furniture and clocks and so many things from functional swings to just artwork. I just love always taking things to the next level! And I have always planned to do the same with my Roadster too.

Anyway, each year I build a Christmas gift for one of my family members. We draw names out of a hat. If you don't do this, try it! But allow for the entire 12months for everyone to have time to make something really neat. I believe everyone is talented; you just have to discover that inside yourself! We all have talents, so, this is something we only began a couple years back and it really have brought a whole level of creativity, love and fun for everyone. It adds a special touch to the already wonderful holiday and family time together.

The Christmas gift has and is always a priority for me. So my cycles of time are shifted to working on that. I try to spend a weekday or weekend here and there all throughout the year, in order to build the very thing I envision for that particular family member. I like to incorporate and use; various wood types, glass/acrylic/plexi-glass/mirror and lighting effects if necessary.

In 2018 I did the LOTR Fellowship of the Ring (characters) in silhouette from the film. I have the members in various types of wood and it lights up in both brilliant eleven white and orcs-are-about blue! It came out very cool and set the stage for many of the future gifts that I plan to build. And me being me, I always take it to the next level!

I followed that up last year in (2019) with a mountain glacier scene. This has hundreds of hours on the high end approaching a thousand, vs the LOTR gift which was a couple hundred hours. And this year (2020) the year of craziness, I had been working on next gift. I can add this, it’s the most difficult one I’ve done so far. This one actually took me 23 months to finish yeah, do the math; I missed the Christmas 24th deadline. It's the most intricate and difficult piece of work that I've ever created. I was able to show some of it on 12/25/20, but didn't get it totally completed and given as of just two weeks ago. I was forgiven of course, for missing the deadline and that's all that mattered.
    And now this year in (2021) I've been working on the next one a little here and there and hopefully I can get it done. You will actually see the gap here coming up, where I totally shut down the build from May to mid-October. There was absolutely no work or pictures taken. I would rather get these gifts done and given to my children and family members who are so dear to me and take long breaks from the build. I'm cool with it!
    >>>INSERT PURCHASE PIC or LINK HERE<<<
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Format Corrections

Post Thanks / Like
    09.01.20 – At this time, I’m going to be moving into somewhat of a holding pattern for the next few months. Not only due to the cold in Colorado and my garage only has a small heater that I use occasionally. It can get rather cold out there and I don’t have the luxury of extra space, so I find myself outside on the driveway most of the time. However, the main reason is that each year, I build a complex Christmas gift for one of my family members. It’s something we only began a couple years back. Anyway, that gift is always a priority for me and so my cycles of time will be shifted to working on that. I’ll do a few things here-n-there, but my build will most likely come to a halt and I’m okay with that!
    September to November 2020 – I took a break away from the build to work on the Christmas gift I’m making…
    11.29.20 – I received my right rear CV Axle (replacement) from FFR. The first one they sent in the kit, I could not get the splines to line up with the rear wheel hub and did everything I could to get it to go on what so ever. In the end, the splines are not matching up and there is just no way that this CV Axle going to work?

To catch you up with one of a couple of hiccups I had with my parts. So, back in October, I tried to get the CV Axles on the rear end and get it all squared away. I was working on the rear-end trying to get it wrapped up, but the right rear CV Axle that was shipped with the kit would not go on the hub what so ever. The driver side CV Axle would slide onto both hubs with no issues, but I could not get the passenger to slide on either of the hubs. The splines were not manufactured correctly. So… I spoke with FFR back in October and they sent me out a replacement and I tried it the first day I got it and it slid on with no issues at all.

SO, ONCE AGAIN IT MUST BE NOTED THAT HERE I WAS ALL THESE MONTHS LATER AND FACTORY FIVE STOOD BY THEIR WORD AND SOLVED THE ISSUE! LIKE ALWAYS, IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM – CALL FFR AND THEY’LL MAKE IT RIGHT! THANKS F5!!!!!

{The defective axle is the one that is painted. The new one is the replacement from FFR}.
    CV Axles Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2005

12.27.20 – I was finally able to paint the CV Axle on this day when it was warmer outside. I’ll get it installed once the paint is dry and it’s a warmer day like this one. Again, with Colorado’s weather, I’ll most likely just take the next couple of months off and work on the next Christmas gift for 2021. I plan to work on the disk brakes and get those assembled with the security wires installed and secured. But that will wait for another day.
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Corrections

Post Thanks / Like
    January 2021 – It’s now going on a year from when I received my kit. My original plan was a 3-5 year build. Well, I’m now looking at 5 years for sure! It’s all good. Money vs Time vs my Availability vs more Money <repeat>…

01.10.21 – I got around to finally installing the CV Axle. This was a decent winter warm sunny day, so I took advantage of it.

CV Axles Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2016

01.20.21 – WOW! Another warm day in January – WTH?! Yeap, Climate Change – SUCKS! Oh well what do you do? Work on the build, I guess. Anyway, I ordered the Breeze Offset Rack Mounting Kit a while back. I decided to go this route while I still was not far along in the build and would be able to add it in fairly quickly. So, today is the day to install it!

Breeze Offset Rack Kit Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2017

02.06.21 – Okay, I figure it’s finally time to start getting traction back on the build. I decided I would focus on getting the disk brakes and platters all mated up and secure with the stainless safety wires. This is totally new to me, which is cool, but it’s a challenge that will be fun. I figure I I would just do the safety wire in “pairs” and not try and push my luck with daisy-chaining them all together. I have to admit that I had to do bunch of them over, I mean, just look at the pile of wire for each one in the pictures. I think what I was able to do will be just fine and safe. Hell, I’ll be putting my own life on the line with them, so I’m giving them a pass for quality control. I’ll install them as soon as the weather warms-up.

02.27 & 28.21 – It’s a warmer day – YAY! Time to install my brakes

Disk Brakes and Safety Wires Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2018

Post Thanks / Like
    03.02.21 – Ahhh… YES! March! And the warmer weather is surely on the way – Woohoo! It’s still somewhat cold and we seem to get the most snow in this month, but at least winter is behind us for another year.  Or maybe I should say… “Winter might be behind us for years to come?”
    Spent some time beginning to Loctite and Torque certain bolts that I know that I can call done. I’m going to add the witness-marks before any go carting of course.

Rearend Loctite and Torqued Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2019

03.05.21 - I made a decision a while back to remove any black oxide coated bolts and replace them with stainless steel ones. Mainly for my silver/gold theme and there is nothing wrong with the black oxide bolts, it was preference. I will add that both bolt do and will rust, it just seems like the BO show more rust than the stainless, my opinion. It’s more $$$’s and I get it, but it’s what I had planned all along.
    Essentially; the way bars, foot pedal supports and gas tank are the main three areas where I’ll do the swap.

Stainless Steel Bolt Swap Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2020

04.03.21 – I’ve decided that I’m going to make April the month I push for ALL the aluminum skins and scales to be drilled and cleco’d. Now, my plan in the future is to clean, sand w/200grit and SharkHide both sides, unless it’s cockpit and trunk, I’ll only do the outside of them. I’m planning on the summer of 2022 to take a week and dial in the aluminum and will then be ready to rivet and proceed with adding the insulation mat as well. I’m a big fan of the aluminum being seen and visible and I really like to see that in these cars. So, I want to see if I can get the engine bay, cockpit and trunk all done this month. Let’s do this!
    NOTE: I made a decision that I was going to try and hide all the aluminum “tabs” where they wouldn’t be readily seen, that is, depending what location on the car. Engine bay and cockpit mainly I was attempting to have all the tabs on the inside and will be under the insulation mat material. I mention this because the aluminum I don’t think wants to be assembled this way from FFR, but I wanted a really clean as possible skin throughout the chassis. If you attempt this, be forewarned that it takes some patience and planning to get them to line up nicely. And I’m still deciding on which brand of mat that I will use.

Engine bay and Foot boxes Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2021

04.08.21 - I took the day to work on the NRG Removable Steering Wheel Adapter.
    *NOTE: You DO NOT need the 3D-Printed alignment adapters that were circulating through various builders. I think they must have gotten lost in someone's garage(s), since the thread seem to die off with responses, even tho several individuals were inquiring about them? I decided that this is like any other mod, and you just need to plan for accuracy and then execute on it. All you need is a keen set of eyes, a mechanical pencil (preferred) and a accurate ruler using 1/16th's or 1-2millimeters (your choice) on the English or Metric side of thoughts. Anyway, don't be intimidated! Check out my album for more details in each photo.

NRG Removable Steering Wheel Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1997

04.11.21 – On this day I had a holy sh!t moment! Long story short, the shop cat (Smokey) – btw – He got the name in 2019 when the fires were dropping ash all over us in Colorado and the air was just filled and we’re just trying to help the small creatures, especially the one’s that got a stigma from some uneducated people blaming things on voodoo and stuff.
    Anyway, we were under the chassis drilling and installing the lower skins in each of the foot boxes. Both for quite a long time, Smokes actually took a snooze in the shade. Anyway, it was a couple hours for me to get that all drilled and cleco’d up. I was moving in and out (up and down) between the driver and passenger sides being worked on, you all know this. So, I wrapped up what I was doing and I go to move the dolly to get ready to call it a day and ----- BOOM! The right rear dolly wheel broke. I mean so many thoughts went through my head…
    1st - Was Princess Diana. No BS! I wasn’t going to sit there and take pictures, you respond and react! RIP Princess.
    2nd - I immediately grabbed the floor jack in panic, but realized everything was going to be alright. And why do I say that? Because, it’s all about planning! Back when I built the chassis dolly, I made the decision to not only build it strong, but I spent a few more dollars and added the hold-down eye screws, that and some additional wood bracing that I was going to use as leverage and bumper protection for moving and hauling. See, I initially thought that I might have to unload my kit in a parking lot and move it to a flatbed trailer and so, I figured that I would have those measures in place, just in case. And I’m so glad that I did! Well, I didn’t have to do the parking lot dance, but decided why let them go to waste and I strapped the chassis down to the dolly for security and that paid of HUGE $$$$$!
    3rd - I got the floor jack under the dolly and safely leveled it out.
    4th - I did a full check and nothing was damaged, nothing moved! Except it falling on that corner the 2-4” drop or whatever that height, since the wheel broke and it helped buffer the impact as it landed on it.
    5th - The last thing was to hunt down some new dolly wheels that can handle the weight and get them installed ASAP.

I guess I consider myself not only lucky, but a little smart too! Plan for the worst even if it doesn’t occur, because one day it might and it was my day! I located all steel wheels at my local farm supply, no they are not cheap! 900lb load capacity per each –vs- 300lbs for the others. Now, I thought I could get away with the other ones, and had done so, but this wheel just f’n broke!

FLASHBACK! Uuuuhhhh... I was just under that and it could’ve been a not-so pretty site. I surely could’ve easily been hurt and possibly maybe death? Not going to dwell on what-if’s anymore! Onward...

Now, let me say this right now. For all the naysayers and superstitious folks out there, nope, sorry. It wasn’t that my shop cat is black! I don’t subscribe to such silliness, and for some good solid advice - YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER! It was because the weight exceeded the wheels and or the manufacturing of the product was less than sub-standard? Possibly, but I'm thinking nope, wrong again. To be honest, I really believe it was because I went with swivel wheels and I should’ve not done that. I’m sure if I would’ve gone with just locked-in straight forward & backward only, they most likely would’ve held up just fine.

***TIP – This is just something to point out and share with others that it does pay to have your chassis and dolly strapped together, especially if you plan to be moving it around quite a bit***

Needless to say, I got the dolly fixed and called it a night and a week for that matter. I’ll get back on the horse next weekend.

Chassis Dolly Wheel Breaks Album: 
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2022
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Format Changes

Post Thanks / Like
    04.17.21 thru 04.26.21 – I built out the cockpit and worked on the trunk area as well. Like all the other skins, just take your time and do the planning and you can make it all come together nicely. I’m really happy how the skins are going together. Again, there are hidden caveats that show themselves when you try to keep the tabs on the inside and not assembling the normal way that you should.

Cockpit and Trunk Skins Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2024

04.28.21 – Added in the Breeze Battery Box. There’s nothing special other than using brass bolts for accents. I plan to get some brass tubing to cover the long bolts and that should look sweet with the stainless tray (clear coated) and a black battery along with some brass twinkle. I’m just continuing my sliver & gold theme where I possibly can.

Breeze Batter Box Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2026

04.29.21 – I decided to add in the Breeze Cubby in the rear wall. I know this will be handy to have access to some items: water, gloves, coat, etc… When stopped of course. I’d like to see the mod that allows you to get to it, let alone anything else when belted in? I’m still working on building a door of some kind, but I’m not sure if I’ll do sliding one, or just on a hinge. I’m still thinking about what I’ll do if anything?

Breeze Cockpit Storage Cubby Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2027

As said at the beginning of my build that I would try and support as many vendors that I could and represent the best that can be incorporated into one’s build. Breeze makes some incredible parts and I’m be adding so much more from them.

05.01.21 – So, I made a deal with myself that May 1st I would shut-down the build pretty much for a next few months. I need to get this Christmas gift, which is overdue now by about 5 months. Yeah, I missed the Christmas 12/25/20 deadline for my person and I am planning to dedicate ALL my free time to getting it completed.
    MAY – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS
    JUN – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS
    JUL – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS
    AUG – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS
    SEP – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS
    OCT – BUILD ON HOLD NO PICS

I got my Christmas gift for 2020 done and presented in mid-October and have been caught up with Family needs and life's wants. Now, 2021’s Christmas gift is well underway and should be able to deliver that on-time, so…………………… IT’S TIME TO GET BACK TO THE BUILD!

11.01.21 – I officially kicked-off this build journal for starters. I know I’m late, but I’ve just been hammered with work and life in general. Anyway, my main goal is to get this MKIV#9769 documented and published out here. This is a record of the dedication I put into this FFRoadster. I hope Dave Smith and the rest of Factory Five is proud of the effort I gave. Again, I’m not really innovating, but where I can find some customization that nobody has ever done and hopefully others can incorporate them and continue to build on the Never Ending Dreams of Stories that are REALized…

11.09.21 - I decided to get the roll-bars fitted.

Test fitting the roll-bars Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2030

11.19.21 - I began to build the paper templates for the raised heat panels that I'm going to incorporate.

Foot Box Heat Protection Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2031

11.21.21 - I starting to begin getting the pedals all set with the Russ Thompson Throttle pedal. I'll most likely swap out the Willwood foot pads with what Russ offers.

Foot Pedal Assembly Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2032

11.24.21 – As I update the next “chunk” of data and information, I’ve been working on getting my photos sorted and resized and into albums on this site these past weeks.
    Over the winter, I plan to focus on the following:
    > Complete the gas/brake/clutch pedals and add in the hydraulic clutch setup
    > Work on having the Breeze Cubby aluminum (divider) fold down. I want the entire trunk available for a soft top, since I think it can fit in there if needed. I’m planning on putting that piece of aluminum that Breeze provides on a brass hinge. Again, looking to maximize all space and when form follows function, it’s a beautiful thing.
    > Get the brake and fuel lines added
    > Add the vent tubing and necessary hardware to run air from brake vent ducts to the foot boxes and hopefully to the front brakes as well
    > Add raised aluminum panels to protect the foot boxes from direct heat off the headers
    > Install Wilwood electronic emergency brakes
    Plans for summer 2022:
    > Sharkhide aluminum skins and install with sound/insulation mat and rivets
    > Prep the underside of the body and get it off the body buck
    > Get the car into a roller on shop tires or a complete second set of wheels for the carting stage
    > Build-out the dash
    > Begin wiring installation

As you can see, I've been jumping around and that is allowing me to be more thorough and precise in each step, which is allowing me the "time" to be more detailed and careful for that matter. I've 2nd guessed myself on a few things and have had to take a step back at times to make the necessary change before I was too far past to make it simple. I mean, I decided to add in the Breeze Offset Rack Kit, which wasn't a that big of a deal. Now I'm ordering the Wilwood emergency brakes at the end of the month. Sometimes you take a step back to go forward with a clear conscience and that's what I'm doing.
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Format Changes

Post Thanks / Like
    11.27.21 - It's now the present. Damn, time flies! It sure does, especially if you have a time machine or any roadster will do.
    Well, there you are and here I am! Feels kind-of-weird to be back in the present time frame, but it also feels great! This is where I'm currently at in my build. I'm going to try and stay up-to-date and current to my status. I had a lot of necessary family circumstances and work and everything else keeping me busy. Again, who doesn't? Priorities and Patience and it all can work itself out and come together - LITERALLY!

So what's next???

Well for starters, I took advantage of Eastwood's Black Friday deal and I purchased the; Eastwood Pro Brake Tubing Flaring Tool with 45 and 37 Degree Die Set. Once again, it's about making choices and I think I'll go ahead and put in Stainless Fuel and Brake lines over the winter.

I'm also going to ordering my Wilwood electric emergency brakes and Wilwood clutch in the next couple days. That and a bunch of McMaster parts and I'll be ordering from prdcrrct.com to get the cobra air vent kit for the foot boxes. Along with some aircraftspruce.com for the aluminum flanges for the ducting and high temp flexible ducting hose. And a whole bunch of other stuff, that is, as parts become available.

But first up, tomorrow (11.28.21) I plan to swap my steering arms that (Jryasko) noticed that were not correct, for which again - Thanks for noticing that Jryasko! The good thing, I didn't have the ball joints "castle nuts" even torqued yet. So, I'll correct those so any future pictures will show the correct orientation and to be honest, it's back to the 2021 Christmas gift and will pick the build up again after the gift is done or the beginning of 2022.

I'll work on the raised heat panel (templates) that I'm still kicking around ideas as to how I want to do them. I'm not going to make them as high as the paper templates, i just did a full reproduction to get a sense as to what I'll need material wise. I was going to do a single aluminum piece with either bends or welded seams but now, I think I'll divide them with a piece of 90* angle brass and again, play to my 1/4 past 1/2 time theme of sliver and brass and black too.

Anyway, if you're following along, I do appreciate any feedback or comments and concerns that you notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some ideas for my inspiration from some of the following Cobra's and Roadsters out there. I'm holding a few cards and paint samples back for now. I've already decided on the paint scheme and I'll incorporate four different colors in my theme:

Inspiration & Ideas Album:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2033
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Format Changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

Really enjoying your build. I like the idea of the raised panels in the engine bay. I am considering that as wall. I was thinking of raising the panels about 1/4 to 1/2 inch with head protectant in between and keeping an air gap.

Love the RT and removable steering wheel mod. Quick question: does it feel solid and how many hours did it take you?

Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ted,

Yeah, on the raised panels, I'm planning on using rivnuts and installing from the inside walls of the foot boxes. This way, there will be just that approx. <1/2" raised space or so between the foot boxes and the heat (aluminum) panels that will rest on the back-side of the rivnuts. Essentially, I'll be screwing the bolt to the rivnut, but I'll be going in from the backend and not the normal way a rivnut gets mounted. Hopefully that makes sense, or just look at my F-Panel for a visual explanation. It believe it should work just about perfect and create an "air gap" for which I have proof it works from my own wood stove. Sure, 1" would be ideal, but we don't have that real estate and I think the rivnut will work just fine. I know the engine install will be a tight rope walk, but I'm not to worried about it. I suspect soft blankets and patience will be all one needs. That, and a few tasty <insert favorite poison beverage here> to celebrate, but that won't happen til 2023.

As for the NRG mod. I actually broke my tap and instead of getting a lesser quailty new-one, I chose to get one from McMaster's and so it went on hold for a week or so waiting on that to arrive. Anyway, it can easily be done in a weekend, perhaps just a full day 4-8 hours. I usually spend a few hours on a step and then I'm multi-tasking on other "to-do's" that need cycles too. The only thing I highly recommend is a drill press. I for one can't drill an exact straight hole in metal with a hand drill, over and over again. Maybe a couple times, but not consistently. Now, maybe if you buy a couple cheap bubble levels (the actual bubble) and attach those to the hand drill or if yours has those built in, then maybe. But I would find someone with a drill press and a good vise too and go that route if you don't have one. And... You DO NOT need those alignment spacers - FYI. I just carefully planned and measuered it out. See my the album for details under each pic

Oh, one last thing and maybe others will chime in that have the NRG adapter already. When I finished it, I felt a small amount of play, just a tiny small "tick-click-movement" and I'm not sure if I could deal with that while driving each time I turned the wheel. Essentially the play between the two connecting plates or surfaces was bothering me. That's why I added the set-screw on the right side. And be warned to be very careful planning that out. I'm actaully not fully done with the mod. I still need to build a small 90* bracket that will mount down inside the recessed part of the steering hub, the aluminum part that the sterring wheel attaches to. I'll mount the bracket to the steering shaft when I bolt it on at final assembly, and then the set screw, that will screw into that bracket and tie it all together tight. Of course the set screw has to be removed in order to separate the sterring wheel. I'm okay with carring a small hex head tool on my key ring just for this purpose.

I also plan to use the switch on the end of the turn signal shaft/post and that will become my horn. Many use it for the hi-low beam and if you do, go find i.e.427's vid on youtube where he talks about getting adding in the type of "click-on and click-off" replacement. I didn't write down the part #, but it's fairly a recent vid of his and he does great work.

Sorry, long explanation, but wanted to explain this a little further. Any other questions, just ask!
    Last edited by ydousurf; 11-28-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typo/Grammar

58. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Doug! Great idea on the rivnuts going in backwards. Brilliant!

I may tackle that steering wheel mod, you have some good documentation on that. Yes, I saw 427's mod for the headlight, good stuff. I'll be following you along, my kit comes in March.

60. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ted, Yeah the steering wheel mod is doable and is obviously not my idea, so all credit goes to those individuals who innovated and improved the mod (frd2, karlos and others) in the following thread:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...on-turn-signal

All the best on your build journey and enjoy every step and hurdle, for which makes it that much more fun to push the envelope and just believe in yourself as you move along!

62. Likes Ted G liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast