Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Laguna beats me again.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Laguna beats me again.

On my first trip to Laguna, I was having MAF sensor issues and the engine would choke once it got up to track temperatures - no issues street driving. The make it a full day at Lauguna score: Me 0, Laguna 1. The fix was a Speed Density tune. My second trip after an engine rebuild and new 6 speed, I immediately broke an axle. 0 for 2. Fix, The Driveshaft Shop axles. The goal of this outing was to just survive the WHOLE day. Even though I'd been twice before, I only had a couple of hot laps under my belt, so it felt like the first time and I'm still learning the track.

Leading up to it, I've been fighting a cracked exhaust manifold repair (a whole other story) and the solution ended up cutting and rewelding the cross over pipe and using Remflex gaskets on 3 of the flange joints. While I had the exhaust apart, I decided to do my "Laguna Pipe" Laguna Pipe project of which I've had the parts for some time.

Most if not all tracks have a maximum decibel sound limit. Most around here are 103db and are seemingly rarely monitored. Then there is Laguna... At Laguna, it ranges from 90db to 106db depending on the day and it is strictly enforced. So before signing up for a track day there, one must know the db limit for that day and the db of your car. My car last measured at 93.8 db. Laguna regulars are also keenly aware of how the weather effects the sound measurement. So, I was limited to track days that are comfortably over 93.8db. This track day was a 92db day, so I need to do something.

laguna pipe 1.jpgLaguna Pipe 2.jpg

My Laguna Pipe slips over the exhaust tip and bolts in. It lowered the db to 83.0! Now I know I'm safe for even the 90db days regardless of weather which opens up all Laguna days to me. Several people came up to me between sessions with the same comment/question (in addition to the usual, "what kind of car is that?")... "Does it have a jet engine?". With the exhaust so quiet, the air intake dominated the sound and I was told it sounded like a jet engine speeding down the straightaway!

First 3 sessions went great and I was building speed with each lap. I was arbitrarily hoping to get into the 1:45's and with a 1:46.8 in the 3rd session, I thought it was easily within reach by the end of the day. But, in the first lap of the 4th session, I heard an exhaust leak and pulled in. One of the Remflex gaskets blew out. Survive a full day score: 0 for 3.

I'm done trying to make the OEM exhaust work and I'm in the market for good aftermarket header and up pipe. I'm hoping my 4th Laguna day will see the final checkered flag and I shake this Laguna curse.

Last edited by Dave 53; 04-14-2024 at 01:24 PM.

2. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Likes jbs72697, mikeb75 liked this post