Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How best to remove taillights and to replace bumpers with quick jacks

Post Thanks / Like

How best to remove taillights and to replace bumpers with quick jacks

I recently purchased from a member here a Mk4 roadster that he had built, it’s 95% finished. I am taking it to body shop next week. PO had installed the headlights, taillight, turn signals, etc. Have to remove all of the above for the body shop, the trunk is complete, I can’t find a way to remove the taillights, any suggestion? Also PO had installed bumpers because they were a requirement in his state. Are the bolts the same that support the bumpers as the quick jacks? Help appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Look in the wheel wells.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your post is kinda vague.
    What is the issue with removing the tail-lights? (Wiring? bolts? Bullet or Square tail-lights? Access?)
    When you say "bumpers" are you talking about Over-Riders with the FFR Bumper hoops? Depends on if the builder used the FFR supplied bolts for by-the-book installation (yes, they are the same) or installed the Kleiner mod (no, they are not). Again, what is the issue? Are you trying to remove the front or rear? If it's the rear, if stock build: you'll need to drop the fuel tank to remove the bolts, if it's the Keiner mod, you'll need to remove the nuts from inside the over-riders from the all-thread (MUCH easier). If it's the front, they are FFR bolts, un-bolt from inside the front fender-wells (remove front tires or access from underneath.
    Quick-jacks are easier to install, because you can put them in place and install nuts/acorns from the outside.

Pictures would help and a good explanation.
    Last edited by MPTech; 04-20-2024 at 01:06 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right looking at my post again it was vague. The problem removing the rear taillight is the trunk is complete, panels up and carpeted, no access to the wiring or the nuts to remove. I will have to clarify with the PO what bumper he used and go from there. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In a standard installation, the tail-lights should be removeable from the fenders, not the trunk (behind the elephant ears / tires). Can you take a picture of what you're talking about? As Rich said, look in the wheel wells.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are threaded studs on the tail lights with nuts on the inside/underside of the body. Taking off the rear splash guards and tires will give you some more room reaching up in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969Camaro View Post
    You are right looking at my post again it was vague. The problem removing the rear taillight is the trunk is complete, panels up and carpeted, no access to the wiring or the nuts to remove. I will have to clarify with the PO what bumper he used and go from there. Thanks again.
    There should not be any wires in the trunk, as the tail lights are NOT in the trunk.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint