FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Carbon Fiber Dash Template

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fiber Dash Template

Anyone using the metal carbon fiber dash template for steering shaft placement? The MK3/4 holes seem to be about 1/2” too far to the right to center the bottom recessed area of the dash with the console. Height also seems to be a bit off as well if one aligns the middle of the dash to the top of the hoop. I know every hoop is different so maybe that’s the issue. I’m using the Everson under dash panel to set the height, which puts the center of my steering column at 2-1/4” from the bottom of the dash.
    Last edited by cv2065; 04-20-2024 at 11:34 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I set the height by pushing the glove box all the way up until it hits the underside of the 3/4 frame hoop. For left to right positioning I did use the aluminum template and centered the MK3-MK4 hole with the steering shaft but didn’t cut that hole. After mounting the dash, I brought the steering shaft flush the the back of the dash and traced it so I had an exact position and then cut a tight hole to just clear the RT turn signal tube.

I detailed this with pics on my thread, post #64. Hope this helps.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

3. Thanks cv2065 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    I set the height by pushing the glove box all the way up until it hits the underside of the 3/4 frame hoop. For left to right positioning I did use the aluminum template and centered the MK3-MK4 hole with the steering shaft but didn’t cut that hole. After mounting the dash, I brought the steering shaft flush the the back of the dash and traced it so I had an exact position and then cut a tight hole to just clear the RT turn signal tube.

I detailed this with pics on my thread, post #64. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Darryl. Do you have a measurement from the bottom of the dash to the center of your steering shaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did three things:

Pushed the steering column towards the front of the car since I had already assembled it. Basically just loosed the screws enough to get the steering column pushed through the pillow blocks such that it was not going to hit the back of the dash. Just make sure to keep it roughly in the same angle as it would be once everything is tightened down. There’s a video on YouTube of one of the builders doing this and it was helpful.

Assembled the glove box first and put it into the dash. Once that was done, used clamps and set the dash on the hoop getting it as high up as I could before the glove box screws hit the hoop. Then leveled it out on both sides. You can see in the picture below where it sits in the middle and on the sides.

Lastly, pull the steering column into the back of the dash and draw a circle on the back around where it hits. Then cut your hole. Worked out perfectly.

IMG_2188.jpgIMG_2190.jpgIMG_2189.jpgIMG_2193.jpg
    Atlanta GA FFR MKIV roadster. Delivered in June 2023. Build thread here

6. Thanks cv2065 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also - definitely don’t use the FFR template for the steering column holes. I did use it for the rest of the gauge holes though, but up to you if you like the placement. I also went over the top and printed out exact size circles on pieces of paper and taped them up on the dash to play around with placement, especially the buttons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Atlanta GA FFR MKIV roadster. Delivered in June 2023. Build thread here

8. Thanks cv2065 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Thanks Darryl. Do you have a measurement from the bottom of the dash to the center of your steering shaft?
    Looks like mine is right at 2-3/8" from bottom of dash to center of steering column hole. My hole is this size because of the Russ Thompson turn signal tube.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

10. Thanks cv2065 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    Looks like mine is right at 2-3/8" from bottom of dash to center of steering column hole. My hole is this size because of the Russ Thompson turn signal tube.
    Thanks Darryl. I started cutting today and ironically that’s exactly the measurement I got from the bottom of the dash to the center of the steering column as well. Took some balancing between left, right, steering column and Everson’s under dash panel, but think I got it about right. I have 2 more holes to cut tomorrow. Drill press has made things very easy. Thanks again for the replies.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

12. Likes dbo_texas liked this post