Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Roll back towing - any advice or experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Roll back towing - any advice or experience?

Howdy folks!
    Now that my coupe is legal in PA I started to wonder what might happen if I ever break down and need to be towed. (I know the guy that built my car!)

Wondering if anyone has experience with this and if there are any special precautions that should be taken. While I expect most guys in that business know what to do I don’t want to take any chances.

I would consider adding provisions for tow hooks but perhaps that’s not necessary.

As always, thanks for the guidance!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    You said it... guys in the business know what they're doing. At least they should. And if if doesn't seem like it, go for another. I had to have my Roadster taken back home when it died and wouldn't start. User induced error and poor roadside troubleshooting. The driver with the rollback that rescued me was super careful. Carried additional ramps to prevent the low nose from dragging. He didn't use the chassis hooks on the Roadster because that would have contacted the underside of the body with the tow lines. I don't think they'd have any trouble with the Coupe.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks TTimmy thanked for this post
    Likes TTimmy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine towed when the oxygen sensor decided to go on vacation. The roll back driver I had was very good and careful. You need, and he had, a couple of 2x4's longways to get the front wheels started up the ramp and not hit the bottom of the front of the body. It might be different with different rollback models. This guy was so careful I tipped him a hundred.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

5. Likes cc2Arider, TTimmy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience with older Italian cars I had to be towed a couple or so times.
    My best tool was (and still is) my CAA card.
    So my advice to you is to get a AAA card.
    Tow companies have to be professionnal in order to be considered by the CAA.
    So I imagine it's the same on your side of the border with AAA.

Cheers!

François

7. Likes TTimmy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone. Your responses really give me some piece of mind as I venture further and further from home!