Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Split Front Mounted Radiators

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Dave

Your idea of using the December vacation for GTM work is a good one.

The floral foam sands nicely. The pink insulation foam works reasonably well also. It's stiffer and more dent resistant but is harder to sand smoothly.

At least you guys have nice enough weather to do dusty work outside. I've spent the last few weekends installing heat in the garage. I have always used a space heater. But wow thermostat controlled heat is awesome. Now I can live in the garage 24/7 year round.

After you finish up this mod are you going to paint? Oh and since you are tracking your car. You might want to add a tow strap somewhere on the front of the car. Just something to think about. I've been towed in twice already. Ran out of gas once. No gas guage at that point. And spun off the track stalled it and my old small racing battery could not crank the hot motor. You don't need the toe strap or hook, but is sure nice to not worry when they pull you back to the pits.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    What have you used to cover the foam that is good for reasonably complex profiles? I have been using aluminum foil and painters tape but it has it limits.
    I am in no hurry to paint the car mainly because my toy budget has to include a 2nd school tuition, (why do I pay taxes again?) starting this year and my list of suspension and engine upgrades has a higher priority. Unfortunately I really like those $600 double adjustable shocks that quick racing sells.
    Re tow point… I knew that I was forgetting something! I looked at that about a month ago and meant to incorporate that into the front design. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it work somehow.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    John,
    What have you used to cover the foam that is good for reasonably complex profiles? I have been using aluminum foil and painters tape but it has it limits.
    For a one off part like you are making I do the same with foil and tape over foam. This method definitely takes more filling and working the final shape. Its almost like you are sculpting the part as opposed to producing a copy off the foam plug. For the more complex part that I might want to make more than one of I cover the foam with fiberglass, then body filler, then gel coat and make a re useable mold. I think both methods work and the foil method is far easier.

I am in no hurry to paint the car mainly because my toy budget has to include a 2nd school tuition, (why do I pay taxes again?) starting this year and my list of suspension and engine upgrades has a higher priority. Unfortunately I really like those $600 double adjustable shocks that quick racing sells.
    I am in the same boat with two kids in school paying once in taxes and again. I feel your pain on that one. Yep I would also concentrate on the go fast parts instead of paint. Im going with a simple single stage paint job for this season. As fasthings has shown us you can get an incredible finish with single stage and its far more friendly to the garage paint job.

Re tow point… I knew that I was forgetting something! I looked at that about a month ago and meant to incorporate that into the front design. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it work somehow.
    Yeah im sure it will be fine. The only thing to consider is when you are pulled off the track many times the sideways load is greater then the load that goes in line with the car. The tow truck is never in front of you so its a sideways pull till you get going then you are dragging the brakes to keep the tow line taught.

My setup is strong enough to lift the car if the front wheels were unable to roll. I dont think you need to go this far. I think you can easily use a red nylon strap attached to a hard point under the body as long as the sideways load is not going to crack any fiberglass.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

It looks like we are on the same page regards to the foam molds.
    I am trying very hard not to ***** about our education system……… but occasionally distain seeps out.
    I think that I have a tow hitch option that I will share soon. Just need to fabricate it to make sure that it will actually work..
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/