Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man Mike, If there was anyone that now has the "assets" to share a cell room with a big guy name Bubba it's you! I firsthand know that the toughest part of building these cars are finding reputable "sub-contractors" to pay to do the things that we don't feel comfortable doing ourselves. Forget using the theory "Well seeing they are so much more efficient and therefore faster than me" its financially smarter for us to work on our jobs making money and paying them while we are working, than doing it ourselves. Having built 14 cars has really helped me sort out the good from the bad to the point that I can trust, at least $$$ wise, the guys I use. I wish I had an answer...........Maybe get a electronic translator that converts your voice to the late Marlon Brando's "Godfather" voice and strictly deal over the phone with them. That way when it runs behind schedule simple mail them a horses head.

There should be a picture of your wife next to Mother Teresa's in the Vatican because she is surely eligible for sainthood for having to firsthand witness how badly you have been getting screwed by EVERYONE that has touched your car.

I still think you should of saved a bunch of $$$$$ and just bought a Bugatti Veyron in the beginning. You could of probably spent the additional money you saved over this GTM so as to visit their factory and drive it a bit over there before shipping it home and still be ahead money wise
    Last edited by fact5racer; 02-16-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    There should be a picture of your wife next to Mother Teresa's in the Vatican because she is surely eligible for sainthood for having to firsthand witness how badly you have been getting screwed by EVERYONE that has touched your car.

I still think you should of saved a bunch of $$$$$ and just bought a Bugatti Veyron in the beginning. You could of probably spent the additional money you saved over this GTM so as to visit their factory and drive it a bit over there before shipping it home and still be ahead money wise

You joke, but you are probably not too far from the truth. And thank you, but I really don't want to consider myself a compatible cellmate for Bubba... There is just no way I can intentionally make that work in my head.

And you've met Pam a couple of times, so you know that she does deserve sainthood. but not for what she witnesses through me, but what she puts up with because of me... She is exactly what has kept me grounded enough to not go postal on Jeff or this new guy, "Courty".

Like you said, you learn from experiences... I've certainly had my share.

Thank you for your efforts to help when you could. It's MUCH appreciated.
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-16-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Now for a little less Drama...

Jason has sent a few pictures of the hatch with the Carbon Fiber Cover. I'm not sure if it is mounted or just held in place. He was looking into an alternate way of mounting the cover onto the hatch.

In any event, maybe these pictures will give you all a better idea of what we've been up to. Again, I could not be any happier with the way this has turned out.

In this picture you can see how the cover over laps the top of the window, where the opening will be to let heat out of the engine bay.

The carbon fiber fits perfectly into the top edge of the window opening. The sides and the top edges fit flush with the hatch.

Last edited by The Stig; 02-23-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mike,

You have a vision of a great interior and it is going to be a big undertaking. The biggest obstacle I had is the lack of room, some of the guys doing custom interiors on the GTM had to modify the frame work on the tunnel to fit their consoles and dash. I had to relocate the steering column mount to match the corvette IP and it also helped to center the steering wheel on the seat but the passenger side has even lees room. After I made the door panels when I closed the door the door panel would hit the dash pod and the seat. The passenger seat is a very tight fit with the GTM stock interior and any changes you make to the door panel and seat are going to be a problem. I made a new tunnel aluminum panel where the emergency brake handle goes gaining an 1 1/2" of room and had space between the seat and tunnel and door panel,now that the interior is done it is very close.
    The upholstery shop I used had done a GTM interior prior to mine and had warn me about the problems they encountered before I had fabricated all my interior pieces and with that in mind I had to redesign my interior.It looks like your interior guy is well qualified and up to the task, but with your track history with previous shops you are going to need to be on top of things and have every thing very clear up front or I am afraid you are going to run into complications and cost overruns.

You have worked very hard and put a lot of effort and money in your car and deserve to have the best.

Mike
    Last edited by mikespms; 03-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's just sitting in place in the pics. I've got to finish sand the edge and glass the mounts in. it'll be better than the original way I had planned to mount the cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking really good Jason, can't wait to see it mounted up! The contrast of CF on paint in that area will be a nice focal point

Aman

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Aman. I can't wait to see it finished on mikes car. It should vent air quite well with the opening at the top. we'll see soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike-

Good to see some progress on an important area without the added headaches!

Do you have a date when you hope to get her on the road? I know that's a challenging question, so please no sniping!!

I hope the rest of the way is far smoother; hang tough. Can't wait to see her all dressed up for the ball.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... When will it be finished?

Hi Steve,

Yes, the hatch looks phenomenal in my opinion. I am grateful to Jason for the work and effort that he has put into this piece for me. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. I can't wait to get it on the car and start test fitting it. I am very anxious to see how it lines up with the lines of the body. He told me that it would be ready to pick up on Thursday.

Things to do... "Short List"

I reset the ride height to 4 1/4 front and 4 1/2 rear, and moved the car around quite a bit for try and make it settle. So far it has stayed right where I set it.

I "burped' the coolant system again. The water temp is still running straight to 220+, so it looks like I still have a little work to do there. It usually takes a few heat cycles to get the air completely out of the lines. (I'm actually considering using the Corvette Coolant tank in front as an air-bleed for the front of the system). I also have a couple of billet tanks that I could use as well/(instead).

I ordered replacement pieces from Quiet Ride for the driver's side floor to replace what was previously damaged. Those will go in as soon as I get them. Will take about an hour or so.

Interior is scheduled for 10 to 12 weeks. So it looks like 3 months there.

The windshield is coming out tomorrow, so that will need to be reinstalled when the interior is done.

Registration will be completed while it's at the interior shop. That way we can figure out how to place the VIN number without screwing up something that we make for the interior.

I plan to fit the new hatch while it is at the interior shop. I want to take some pictures of it installed, to give to Jason for him to use.

Then I'll have it (hatch) painted along with having a couple of scratches fixed in the paint (passenger door), and the scuffs that Courty's people left for me. (Passenger rear fender - top, and upper cockpit (passenger side). 1 to 2 weeks there, depending on their schedule...

Then it will need to have a final alignment done.

Then I'm calling it finished.

I'm guessing late May, or early June some time. But I've guessed at a "finish" date before and came up very wrong for one reason or another. This is how I see the schedule playing out right now...

Once I've had a chance to drive it for a month or so, I'll decide what I want to do with it. The car show stuff is fine, but I've decided that I want to just drive it for a while and work out any bugs. I don't like being on a schedule with regard to this car. I think it would be a lot more fun to drive it, instead of it driving me...

See no "sniping".

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-24-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pull the top hose off the radiator and fill up the radiator and fill the hose. I thought I had mine burped, but it found an air pocket. I took off the top hose and it took care of it's self, it was empty for qutie a few seconds, then the water started flowing. I quickly put the hose back on and then filled the overflow. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    The top hose of my radiator is an AN-24 fitting on a rather stiff steel braided hose. It's a little tough to get on and off.

But that may just be the ticket...

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw, that will come off easy. Really all you have to do is get it engine warm, not hot, and then just crack it, don't take it all the way off. Let the air bleed out and you'll be fine. The AN fitting will actually make it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give that a shot...

I'm getting radiator fluid from the top right over flow hose, when I fill it. So I'm not sure that the air bubble is in that hose. But I guess if it's open, it will allow the fluid to travel and the air will come up either through the head vents, coolant tank, or the radiator.

I usually have all three open when I start filling it, and then close them off as they start to spill fluid.

I just had a thought... Do I need to have the heater turned on so the the bypass valve opens up? I didn't think of that this weekend.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you do, keep the heat on while its running. All the way threw the burp session.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blood,sweat, and tears!

You will get it! The last tears will be you crying like a little girl as you drive that thing down the road completed.

I'm pulling for ya.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    CompletedRearhatch002_zps123cfbe5mod.jpgthe lexan is up in the corners, it'll need some light weight in the corners when it's bonded. when they're down both sides are even. the lexan will look better after it's painted black around the perimeter, installed, and without the plastic film. Mike, the floor/sound mat looks good as new. I hope everything else goes smoothly from here.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-02-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can use some light pressure from a couple sets of clamps to hold it for 24 hours until it sets.

It shouldn't take that much to get it to sit down in the corners.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

A picture of the GTM at the Interior Shop. Cars being shuffled so mine can go back into the primary work bay.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-10-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

A picture of the GTM at the Interior Shop. Cars being shuffled so mine can go back into the primary work bay.
    Don't start thinking about switching to those wheels and tires!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Don't start thinking about switching to those wheels and tires!
    Gary, It's like you can read minds! How did you know?
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Car has been taped off to protect it.

Reverse Camera location / positioning.

Progress is being made. Wiring is being corrected and completed. The Passport system is being laid out and installed.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-28-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

Progress is being made. Wiring is being corrected and completed. The Passport system is being laid out and installed.

Mike
    That looks like someone who is doing a careful, quality job. Glad to see you found a good shop mike.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish i would have masked off our car like that when I worked on the interior. There would have a couple less scratches showing. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope you get the service you expect. I don't see how you could take another bad run. Keep up the good fight, I'm rootin for ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still amazes me to see a GTM sitting next to a normal car.

Post Thanks / Like
    A sight for sore eyes! Good luck w/upholstery, and congrats on the milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    I sure hope you get the service you expect. I don't see how you could take another bad run. Keep up the good fight, I'm rootin for ya.
    Thank you Buddy. I appreciate it. I feel good about Steve, and that he will do a good job. But I've felt that way about a couple of others prior. So I get to play micro-manager... until I get a strong feel that everything is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    Still amazes me to see a GTM sitting next to a normal car.
    A friend of mine saw this picture, and said the same thing. It's not too obvious, until you see it sitting next to a full sized car.
    Of course the car in the picture in on 26" wheels, and jacked up to the clouds...

Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    A sight for sore eyes! Good luck w/upholstery, and congrats on the milestone.
    Thanks Roberto. Can't wait to see it when it's done. I should have the first rendering of the interior coming soon. I'll post it when it comes.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really nice meeting with Steve in regard to specking out the interior design/build. I spoke to Murray Pfaff yesterday; he's getting started on his vision of what i explained that I wanted, when we spoke originally. He called and talk to Steve for a while this morning, and the two of them are hatching their plans for some cool stuff for my car.

Chad, the Audio guy was also there to discuss how the different components will be incorporated into the design. He and Steve had an idea for speaker placement and Sub-Woofer placement that to me was pure genius. It's amazing! They said from the start that they would work to make everything "invisible", and then they proceeded to show me how they intend to do it, and in a very cool way. I think you guys are gonna like it when you see it. (Or rather, when you don't see it).

We also discussed using parking sensors in the front and rear. Not sure if I'm going there yet or not. There will be an installation of a Passport 9500 remote radar detector with front and rear receivers, and dashboard display. If I'm not mistaken the alarm signal will be integrated through the car's audio system.

There was also Rich, a wiring guru who will be working to clean up the mess left by Courty for the dash, gauges, console switches, etc., etc., etc. Weather pack connections for the connections. Everything loomed and hidden away.

I left with a sense that everyone was really working together and was pretty much already on the same page. Steve made sure that they completely understand the look and feel that I am trying to achieve.

I felt much better when I left the shop. I had been a little nervous going into this; especially given the crap that I've been through previously. Being able to ask questions of them, and answer their questions as well, really helped me to know that wasn't just paying to have an interior put in. But rather that I was paying to get the interior that is going to complete the vision that I have for MY car.

I'm headed up to Thomasville, NC., tomorrow morning to meet Jason Cecil and pick up the new rear hatch for my car. I am pretty excited about it. I'll post some pictures as soon as I am able to. I know that there are a couple of people who have said that they may be interested in having one made for their cars as well.

I got an e-mail from Ron Hanna of Classic Instruments Custom design department. The gauge cluster that he has been working on will be ready at the end of the month...

I had the Wiper Fluid tank notched and re-welded so it would fit over the sway-bar. I'll have that installed next weekend.

So all of my mini-projects appear to be coming together now. It's almost as if I had planned it that way. Maybe a little, but not completely.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good work, your almost there, sucks you had to go thru all this!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of the same stuff in mine. I have not looked for a place for speakers and such. I am looking forward to see the spot they choose. And I think I'm going to install the same radar, jams lazer and linkied to sattlelite.
    Escort Passport 9500ci. Cool stuff Mike. I work next to some audio guys, and they use Hybrid Audio, they sound so nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I was surprised by the difference in quality between these speakers and the JBL's, Polk, and JL audio that I had been considering. In my opinipon the speakers that I mentioned are extremely good speakers, and are more than most people would ever need. but I actually heard an in car comparison between the Hybrid Audio speakers, and the Polk & JL Audios... And then ordered the Hybrid's right away.

The remote Passport system is something that I've pretty much planned on all along. I just forgot to order it, and was reminded last week. So now I'm scrambling trying to get it shipped. That's about the last thing that I have to buy for the car; that I'm aware of right now.

I'll post the progress as much as possible, for those that might be interested.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a chance to mention it yet, but my wife and I drove up to Thomasville to meet Jason Cecil, and pick up the Hatch that he has used his superb skills to design and make for me. I am blown away by how nice this turned out. As I've mentioned previously, it needs to be prepped for fit and paint. I need to take some measurements from the car, and then transfer them to the hatch to give me a starting point for clearance gaps. Then I'll just need to slowly file and sand them to the right gap size. Once I get that done, I can install for fit and adjustments before it get's painted. This will take a little time...

So what I'd really like to pass along to the rest of you, is this... If you have any concerns about how you might vent the trapped heat from the upper portion of the engine bay, you should really give serious thought to having Jason make one of the overlay sections for you. This part looks like it was made by an OEM for the GTM. I think you'll be happy you did.

It fits into the original Hatch, in the glass opening. It requires only about a 1" by 6" relief cutout for the overlay to fit flush to the hatch. Then it just needs to be bonded with 3M body panel adhesive. Fill the edges, and trim to fit, and you're ready to go.

You end up with a hatch that fits the GTM, and allows heat to escape the engine bay, while the car is sitting still and running. One way or another, you'll need to resolve this issue. Jason has pretty much done the work for you. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out.

I plan to post a number of pictures as soon as I have it ready to lay onto the body for fitment.

Stay tuned!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Third time's a charm, right? Did you end up resolving your "differences" with the last shop, or did they wash their hands of everything?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the kind comments mike. I can't wait to see it on the car. I'm super interested in seeing how it works venting the heat, should be a major improvement. keep it up, you're almost rounding home plate! also, I'm planning to become a vendor this week, so no waiting for the hatch. some other pieces will be soon after.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    thanks for the kind comments mike. I can't wait to see it on the car. I'm super interested in seeing how it works venting the heat, should be a major improvement. keep it up, you're almost rounding home plate! also, I'm planning to become a vendor this week, so no waiting for the hatch. some other pieces will be soon after.
    It's all deserved Jason. It was great to finally meet you. I wish I would have had time to stay a little longer, but I had to get back to Charlotte to get ready for a birthday party that my wife was throwing for my Niece. We'll meet up again though, I'm sure.

Speaking of "other items, I have something else I'd like to talk to you about potentially making. I'll be in touch later this week.

Thanks for all you've done!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That's a nice gauge cluster. Too bad those aren't readily available. Well, too bad for the rest of us!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Wow. That's a nice gauge cluster. Too bad those aren't readily available. Well, too bad for the rest of us!
    LOL...! You can find the clusters on e-bay, but you have to take a pretty deep breath when they tell you what they charge to re-fit them to use in the GTM... Or at least I did...

This was one of the wish list items for the car that I had already decided that I was going to splurge and make happen. It's coming together!

And... I got a really cool hat!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I wondered how low I would have to bend down in order to see the radar detector parts.

Standing in front of the car, none of the parts a visible in the nose.

When I bend down a little more I can start to see them. But not much.

I had to get down on my knees to get low enough to take the picture that you could see radar signal receivers and the laser shifter.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Electrical Switches as going to be Sweet!

Ford GT's have switches that look A LOT like mine...!!!

These switches will be implemented into the interior / console design. They'll be used for the windows & the RamLift Pro (momentary), as well as the Hazard and Fog lights (on/off).
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Passport 9500ci remote Radar / Laser detector

I meant to order the remote radar / laser detector this past weekend, and completely forgot...

So I took care of that last night. So now, ALL of my purchases for the GTM are done. No more $$$$$ going out except for interior.

Woooo Hooooo!

So now the interior of the car will be as "teched-out" as I can stand for it to be...

Reworked Porsche Gauge Cluster
    Push Button Start & Alarm (Disarming)
    Pioneer / Hybrid-Audio Stereo build (including XM radio and rear backup camera)
    Remote Passport Radar Detector / Laser Shifter

I think that's enough...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast