BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33rd Fun Under the Sun Show - NHRA Fairplex April 14, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

33rd Fun Under the Sun Show - NHRA Fairplex April 14, 2012

The 33rd Annual Fun Under the Sun Handcrafted Auto Show is on Saturday April 14th in front of the Wally Parks NHRA Museum at the Fairplex in Pomona. This year is the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra and it sure would be nice to have a boat load of Cobras and replicas to celebrate the 50th.
    Many of you know Dr. Karen Salvaggio, the NHRA Museum has had Karen's red Spec car in the museums collection for the past few months in preparation of the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra. I got an e-mail from her today and am excited to tell you all that she has cleared her schedule for the event on the 14th and is planning to now be there with the blue 25 Hour Thunder Valley Coupe. I hope you all make time to participate in the AHA show this year. We are the custodians of this hobby, it is up to us to remain involved and make car shows like this one as successful as we can.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    (Me too)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yee Haw!
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-22-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    well put Frank
    Wish I could be there.
    Oh wait we do get the LCS show. Maybe the west coasters could make that one some day with cars.
    Later
    Mark D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mark!!! The LCS is still on my bucket list....Had plans to go too long ago, but, well, let's just say life got in the way.

You going to HB this year??? Looking forward to the Car Warriors episode this week!!! Hope you are well!!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone get their confirmation yet? With only a week to go I have not seen mine, just wondering.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Showed up today in the mail. Riverside to Upland by way of Santa Clarita???????????????????
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in! Come on by the FFR booth at P33. I'll have lots of chairs and stuff since I'm bringing the trailer. Probably some refreshments too!

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the plan if it is raining in Pomona on Saturday? I'm not too enthused about driving 250 miles to sit around in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a rain or shine event. If you have paid your entrance fee, it is non-refundable. 30% chances of morning sprinkles, looks like we may get a little wet.

I have no problem wearing a "Rain Coat", no pun intended.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 04-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Erik,

I'm in P-34 right next to you, and will have my trailer there as well.....I also have a couple of awnings and a bunch of chairs, so between us, we should have a great place to gather.....Pomona weather forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USCA0889:1:US

We had the same situation up at Laguna Seca yesterday.....It was off and on rain in the early AM hours, but by 11:00 it was blue skies and great track conditions for running the Coupe! She's tucked in the trailer, ready to "shine" tomorrow. See everyone in the AM!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 04-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any pics??

Please?!?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some pretty nice pics. of the event on the other forum. Hopefully they find their way here.

A little cold and partly cloudy. Made for a really small turnout.

Met some really nice people and enjoyed the NHRA Museum.

The AHA picked up the tab for the museum entry fee. Very nice

Looking forward to the HB Cruise In.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Had a great time at the AHA Show!!! Dean Hornbacher and the crew all did another outstanding job with the event this year....I enjoyed having the chance to see so many beautiful builds, and while everyone's cars were truly outstanding, I think we'd all have to agree that Darren's highly polished, magnificent build which garnered Best Engine and Best of Show awards, was a worthy acknowledgement of the attention to detail and high-end build he accomplished. Very nice work!

Another unexpected (and pleasant) surprise from the show was an invitation to run the #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe in the big 50th Anniversary event being held at the historic Pomona road course this weekend (April 20-21). Parnelli Jones is the grand marshall, and they have a great list of accomplished vintage racers attending. It will be very cool to be out there on track in the Coupe among all of those ***ra's!

Congratulations again to all of our winners!! You guys rocked it!

Erik.....You did a great job representing this year, and taking home that BIG trophy for Factory Five must have been a whole lot of fun!!! Congrat's to all of our FFR winners!!! It was great to see everyone, and we're really looking forward to HB in a couple of weeks......

John, Frank, Bill and all.....Thanks so much for your kindness with Evan.....He's a budding car nut, and I think he rolled/scrubbed/ground the tires off of at least four more of his Hot Wheels cars on Saturday....You guys are all like family to him, and he is always excited to be heading out to an event when he knows you'll be there....Thanks so much!!!

John......Thank you for capturing what became the highlight of my day, which was spending some time with Peter Brock and talking about all things "Coupe.".....The pics are awesome! Thank you!!

Last edited by vnmsss; 04-16-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, that is so cool. I got caught up with some very "interesting" prospects while this was going on and had no idea that was Peter Brock looking at your car. How exciting and great to hear. He doesn't appear to have any issue with a modern take on his classic design and that looks as good and performs even better. Maybe ****** should take note! Are you still planning on doing the race this weekend? I have not decided. I've got Tball early and I don't think I'd be able to make it up there in time.

Erik
    Last edited by vnmsss; 04-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Erik....I had always heard that Peter was gracious and a true gentleman. He and his lovely wife Gayle have been very supportive of our racing effort, and they follow our racing and send along words of encouragement and cheer our on track adventures on a regular basis....It's clear when you talk with him that he appreciates the effort it takes to be competitive, and he is a champion for the Coupes (all of them) ;.)

I'll be bringing the Coupe to the Pomona event this weekend, and am looking forward to all of the fun....They have a great line-up of racers and vintage cars slated to attend the event., and I'm stoked to be bringing the Coupe to the anniversary....My #28 Challenge Series racer is still in the NHRA Museum there (thanks to Dave Smith and Dean Hornbacher at the AHA).......Rick Anderson is bringing his spec racer down from Nor Cal as well, and with any luck, we'll see some of our FFR friends come out for the show!! Hope you can make it, as your '33 is one cool ride and it would be great to see it on track!!

Karen

#28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion