Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: It may never get done

Post Thanks / Like

It may never get done

I've been waffling on my car for a couple years now and all it really needs is paint. After looking for months I found a guy who "might" be interested in painting my car. He said "at least" $10,000.00. It seems like an awfully big number to me. I can't believe that nobody is even willing to look at it.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    go to ffcars.com and ask there in the Canadian forum, you find the guys to assist you...I think its way high.....steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Questor I'd look elsewhere also. I think you can find other good paint men that will charge a lot less and give an excellent job. Check the forums and ask other owners. Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    go to ffcars.com and ask there in the Canadian forum, you find the guys to assist you...I think its way high.....steven
    Without discussion, I'm banned from that site. While I could easily circumvent the ban, I choose to stay away as it's moderation frustrates me.

I have asked everyone I can think of locally and most shops won't even consider it. They guy I spoke with today painted a friends Roadster for 5k and told me two weeks ago he might consider doing mine, but it would be a lot more. Today I spoke to him and he said at least 10k with a sound to his voice like he wasn't leaning towards 10k plus a few buck, but a bunch more than the 10.

I gave up on the car a couple years ago because I got frustrated trying to find a painter and I had finally decided to bite the bullet and pay the crazy price to just get it done, but I think we're now a fair piece beyond crazy.

I will say the car does seem to hold my floor down fairly well as that's all it's done for several years now despite being complete except for paint and about 2 hours of miscellaneous work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remeber..do whats in the best interest for you........like the moderaters or not, get the question out there. Alittle humility or whatever can save you thousands. Or try asking at clubcobra.com....................i still would ask over at ffcars, the gents they will steer you right and you will owe me an apology/beer and thanks!!!!!
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Remeber..do whats in the best interest for you........like the moderaters or not, get the question out there. Alittle humility or whatever can save you thousands. Or try asking at clubcobra.com....................i still would ask over at ffcars, the gents they will steer you right and you will owe me an apology/beer and thanks!!!!!
    Well, humility or not, I still can't make a post without using a proxy and entirely false information.

At this point I've kind of lost interest in the car to the point where I'm just not willing to chase people around to throw buckets of money so I can drive a car 4 weekends a year.

As an update, I received a call back from this guy this morning and even though I didn't immediately balk at the ten thousand plus figure, he said he decided that he's not interested in doing the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will cut and paste the question there for you and get get back to you.

link: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/31-cana...aint-help.html
    Last edited by riptide motorsport; 03-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Questor,
    I sort of understand your frustration with this. I have been putting out feelers for the paint job. The ones who would even attempt an estimate were so far over the top, I wouldn't have considered them anyway. I think it has to do with matching the paint/body guy with the job. If they are competent with this sort of job you will probably hear a more realistic figure. A lot of contractors will throw out a number that is so high, they expect you to walk away. If you don't they will take the job even if they feel a little uncomfortable with it (nice profit margin). I had seven roofing contractors give me outrageous est on a Victorian house that was probably too big or uncomfortable job for them. Then the right guy came along with a price half as much. His crew was used to working on those steep roofs. It would be good to get someone who has several FFR cars under their belt. I bet you will find one sooner than later. Good luck. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    For comparison. a friend had his roadster painted at a local shop for $4000, including basic body work. You might also consider shooting it yourself. I found taht to be one of the most fun parts, although it was a lot of work. My body work and paint took about 400hrs, but that is mostly because I had no idea what I was doing.

Regards, Mike
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    An expert is but a beginner with ample experience. Shoot it yourself. If you don't like, it you can a) shoot it again using your newfound experience, or b) pay a pro to shoot it having lost nothing but time and the cost of materials to learn. You'll likely be satisfied or at least comfortable enough with the process to shoot it again and get the results you're looking for. Good luck..
    Daniel

Post Thanks / Like
    there have been people get quotes quite higher then 10K up here in Alberta for body and paint. lots of shops will give you a high price so they don't have to do them as they are a little bit of work.. swapping bumpers and fenders are easier and make them lots of money.. start phoning around to every shop and see if prices seem to change much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know folks who have shipped their body from NY to Cali to have Jeff Miller of Miller Customs shoot their car. I also know of a shop or two on the East coast that can do the work. Whitby Motorcars is a vendor on this site and has a sterling reputation, for instance. Are you interested in having someone in the US paint your car?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all. I'm going nowhere in a hurry here. I'm seriously considering an offer to sell it for 20 k as is. The only lead I have at present is to spend about $500 to take it to New Brunswick to a shop which "might" do it, but no price until they see it.

Taking it to the US gives me nightmares as I remember having the kit sit for several months while Canadian Transport people played games with Factory Five. I can't imagine giving them another shot at it. I know it would just be the body, but who knows what could happen at the boarder?

This was so much fun at the start, but once I started the whole paint thought it became a nightmare. It has already sat in a body shop for 8 months with nothing getting done. Then it cost me $750 to get it back. That was 3 years ago.

To finish all motivation, I'm pretty sure NS has stopped licensing them now so it makes it almost a moot point.

For over 30 k I have gotten to drive it around the block a couple times and it has kept my garage floor from running away, but I don't see where throwing away another 10 plus, plus is making much sense at this point. Even if it was completed with show quality paint it would never sell for what it cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    So don't sell it then?

And there are always ways around registration if you don't care about grey areas (I don't).

I do appreciate the painting issue - around here there are only about 2, maybe 3, shops that I'd trust my car to. I ended up paying 14k for paint and bodywork. Yes, steep price, but I got it done with minimal issues. I too was not willing to ship it to the US just to save a few grand. I remember what happened last time I dealt with a trusted forum vendor (ncpainter) out of province....I lost 3k, my aluminum panels, and got a bunch of carbon fiber epoxied to some crappy fiberglass molds.

Keep looking around - eventually you will find somebody who has the skill to do the job you want, and will do it as long as you express that you're willing to pay. Most shops don't want to because it isn't easy insurance money and they're afraid you'll sit there and ***** them out when they won't do it for 4k.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

15. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DON'T PAINT IT! Seems simple enough to me. You say you have more in it than it is worth, so put the body on, ground down the seems and drive the thing. I have been driving mine in gel-coat for almost three years for a couple of reasons but mostly because I bought this kit to drive. I guaranty that once you spend some time behind the wheel you will change your mind about selling it.Many of us have to save our pennies for various reasons and disposable money for a pleasure vehicle doesn't make it to the top of the priority list. Enjoy the car.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 04-14-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Frank

17. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    DON'T PAINT IT! Seems simple enough to me. You say you have more in it than it is worth, so put the body on, ground down the seems a drive the thing. I have been driving mine in gel-coat for almost three years for a couple of reasons but mostly because I bought this kit to drive. I guaranty that once you spend some time behind the wheel you will change your mind about selling it.Many of us have to save our pennies for various reasons and disposable money for a pleasure vehicle doesn't make it to the top of the priority list. Enjoy the car.
    I agree! Drive it in gel-coat and have fun. You will be surprised how many offers you'll get for paint work.

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

19. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I vote drive it as well. Save pennies, shoot it yourself, then see if you're happy with it. I'd love to see it some time. I'm in Halifax every day and I have yet to see a roadster in person. I saw Ron's Coupe though. She's a beauty.

21. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth at this point, my roadster cost 7K to have done in St. Albert back in 2007. That was with the MkIII body and no prep done before hand.

Like the others, I would be almost as happy driving it in gelcoat, and having run around with Rod (dv/dt) for a few years with his car in gelcoat, probably even more likely to do that with my next one for a while.

I would urge you to not give up on it, but at the end of the day, if it becomes more of a negative than positive item in your life then you need to make a move.

24. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my second summer coming up, that I have been driving in gel coat. I looked around last fall for a shop to do the paint, but wasn't happy with the prices quoted, especially for a 14' long car. In the meantime I am having a blast driving the car. I also don't live in fear of getting a scratch or rock chip..lol

Why has NS stopped registering the cars there? Never heard of this issue before? Something new?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Questor.

Check your PM's. Contact me and I can fill you in on the current process. They will still register, there is no ban. It is a bit of a pain as they now require CATS, even with a carb, EVAP system and side markers with reflectors as well as self-cancelling signals. We have a fair bit of outside support from other car guys,street rods are also affected, to engineers that have to verify structural integrity. My number is in the PM and I`m just outside the city. There are 3 others besides mine in build process.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter, where are you "just outside the city"? I'm in Shubenacadie. would love to see your progress. Looking to save pennies for a kit some time in the next little while.