Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2004 Vette Tanks - Mounting problem

Post Thanks / Like

2004 Vette Tanks - Mounting problem

I'm having trouble getting the '04 vette tanks to seat back far enough in the frame to allow the tank covers to contact the rear of the floor pan and the rear window frame correctly. Even if you tip the tanks forward to get the bottom edge to sit back more, this tilts the top forward and worsens the problem. I ended up actually putting a piece of 1" steel across the frame to give the tank a more solid platform to sit on. It also keeps the tank level. I bonded some padded insulation to the 1" steel bar and the rear frame member to cushion the bottom of the tank. I will probably use steel spacers between the bottom and top mounting holes of the fuel tank cover for a more sturdy connection. This leaves the issue of how to bridge the gap between the cover and the rear window frame.

Has anyone else found their '04 tanks don't fit? Any solutions?

Thanks,
    EB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Something doesn't sound right, I would post a couple pics before you do something abnormal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simply take a heat gun and heat up the "corner" of the tank where it contacts the frame (near the door striker mount). Once heated and softened, push that part of the tank in and hold it until it cools. This has been done many times by myself and many others.....pretty much everyone that have used the '04 tanks that I'm aware of.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like

'04 tanks fit - supports added

Heating up the tanks worked perfectly. I got enough clearance by flattening the corners to get the tanks to seat back farther in the frame. Thanks for the tip.

I kept the supports I added to keep the tanks flat. Here are some pics. Any issues with this solution? Thanks for the feedback/help.
    Attached Images Attached Images