Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Joe's 33 Hot Rod Build

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe's 33 Hot Rod Build

Hello all.

I'm finally getting things moved over from the old forum. I am exsccaracer over there.

The build is nearing completion. The bodywork is at the paint shop and the upholstery shop has the interior bits. I'm retrofitting AC, re-coating some parts, and finishing the wiring while the body is off. The car has been registered for about 6 months and we've enjoyed blasting around in gelcoat, but now I want to finish this thing before the cruises start. My goal is to graduate the car by the end of April, 2012.

The build is chronicled in my Photobucket album. Just click the link below. I also maintained a list of items and materials purchased. I'll update that and add a link to my signature block.

I'll be glad to answer any questions.
    Last edited by jgarner; 03-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Who's cruise control ?

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tim,

It's an Ididit #3100010000 kit. It features a Rostra control unit. I'm using the speedometer sending unit as a pulse source, so I didn't need to buy the 3100020000 kit, which includes the pulse generator. The Lokar CC-1601HT Cruise Control cable kit fits the Rostra unit and makes for a very tidy installation, especially if you are using a Lokar throttle cable (DP-1000HT). Summit has all of these.

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are new pictures in the Photobucket album, if anyone is interested.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Comming along great! I've been toying with the carbon fiber dash inlay idea. Where did you get the material?

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Arrowhead,

Your ride looks great!

I bought it on eBay from a seller named "racingjeff". They sell their 2nds on eBay, but I couldn't find any flaws in the pieces I bought. True carbon fiber with adhesive backing, just like you'd want.

Good luck!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool car. You got a few tool there!

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jack!

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Added new pictures with painted body today. It's getting closer to being ready for that first cruise! My paint guys are the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, that paint looks amazing! You have some good paint guys there.

What color is that? I'm a big fan of blues, although I keep thinking I might paint the HR a different color, since I've had a blue mustang for 7 year.

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jay,

It's House of Kolor Tlublue Pearl. Two color coats over a white base then two clearcoats.

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing final assembly! I plan to go to my first show on Saturday. Unless something goes really wrong, I should make it. New pictures are available in Photobucket album. Please click the link below.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is truely exquisit!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like

#198 is finished and trophies at first show!

Hi All,

I'm proud to announce that F5 '33 Hot Rod #198 in finished, at least enough to go to its first show.

I had a local show on my calendar as the date, May 20, 2012, that the '33 had to be finished. I'd been working steadily and things were looking good. I had everything done except installing hood, side panels, fenders, running boards, and headlights done before May 19th and set aside that day to do those installs. I figured that I could just slap the panels on in a few hours and spend the rest of the day detailing. After all, I was smart enough to fit all the panels perfectly and then remove them leaving the attaching brackets in place and marked. All I had to do was line up he brackets with the alignment marks and everything would fit as before, right? Wrong! Nothing fit. I finally figured out that my painter had removed the brackets and reinstalled them, not realizing my grand plan. My fault. I didn't tell him not to. To make matters worse, I had installed AC and evidently hadn't gotten the grill assembly lined back up after installing the condenser.

To make a long story shorter, I pulled an allnighter and installed the last headlight about 5 AM. I needed to be at the show at 7:00 to get a good location, so I just got cleaned up, ate some breakfast, dusted the '33, and headed out.

It was a beautiful day, and the turnout at the show was very good, nearly 300 cars. There was a lot of interest in the '33 and F5 may get an order or two as a result. At the end of the day, they awarded trophies for top 50, best truck, best Ford, best Chevy, best Mopar (my painter took that one), best custom, and best of show. This was my first car show ever as a participant and I really didn't know what to expect. I'd been racing until I retired and bought the '33. Anyway, they went through the top 50 and I didn't get called up. Gee, I thought to myself, I should have made top 50. Then they called best Ford and it wasn't me. Wait a minute, there are only two left. Could it be? Then they called my name for Best Custom. I was thrilled as that recognized my design and execution. Best of Show went to an excellent steel '34 roadster with a matching trailer. One of the judges came up to me after the awards and told me that I was neck-and-neck with the '34 and the deciding factor was that I hadn't finished the truck interior yet. That was good to hear, but I was already a happy camper. My ride was done and my work was appreciated by showgoers and judges alike.

I've added many pictures to the photobucket album. Please click the link below to see them. As always, I'll be glad to answer any questions.
    Last edited by jgarner; 05-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Joe! Very well done! Glad to see all the hard work has paid off.

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for their comments and compliments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your interior is killer!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Job! Did you bend the instument panel to fit the curve of the dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe... Can I ask you what lokar shifter part number did you use? Also can you share the tire and wheel information (make size offset tire size etc) and if you had any fender issues with them?

I'd appreciate it.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com