Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: GTM roll cage modifications and race car build log

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    003.JPG

A few pictures that may help you to determine the position of the center tube. there is about a 1/2 inch at the closes point between the top of the intake and the back of the window bulkhead. In the front there is about 2 inches between the back of the idler and the intake and block. There is room but is going to be a very tight fit. And you need to be able to lift and tilt the engine back for the motor monts studs to go in or out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    003.JPG

A few pictures that may help you to determine the position of the center tube. there is about a 1/2 inch at the closes point between the top of the intake and the back of the window bulkhead. In the front there is about 2 inches between the back of the idler and the intake and block. There is room but is going to be a very tight fit. And you need to be able to lift and tilt the engine back for the motor monts studs to go in or out.
    Thanks for the pictures Mike very helpful. I also was worried about tilting the motor in to clear the motor mount studs. I figured worst case I install the mounts then drop the motor on top then bolt the motor to the mounts. Regardless your point is well taken. Worst worst case I make new mounts that bolt to the frame from the bottom instead of using a stud. I could safety wire the bolt so it would never vibrate and fall out. Or remove the parts that interfere before indrop the motor in.

Regarding the intake clearance. I hope I might gain a little there...maybe. I don't know if the stock front intake runner is farther toward the front of the motor then the intake port in the head.

Looks like it is from pictures of the intake viewing from the bottom.

The hillbornes might gain me a little there.

I think the front most intake runner is at least one half inch more forward then the intake port on the stock manifold. That said I do want the option of running a common plenum intake.

Maybe I'll just tack the cage until i get the motor.

Thanks for the help.
    John
    Last edited by kabacj; 05-23-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Some good progress this weekend.

I was able to get lots of tubing fitted and most of it welded in.

The first thing was to finish the gussets in the windshield opening.

The lower gussets are under the dash pad and in keeping with my stealth race car theme I moved the upper gussets as far up as possible. When I had the gussets lower I found that they start to get near your line of sight out the front. Sure the lower position is the stiffest for a pure track car, but I wanted braces that were less pronounced.

As you can see below these braces are just touching the vertex of the windshield frame allowing me to weld all the way around the tubing.

Next was fitting the rear structure.

Here are three shots of the cage pre welding. From the pics in my album you can see I changed things slightly from the masking tape mock up, but its pretty close.

A close up of the joints . I got these nice tools to cut fish mouths in tubing which is great except when you are attempting to land one tube on the radius of another. Yep all hand work. As usual much more time consuming then I expected, but it worked out in the end.

Just need to figure out the door bars and I'm done.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice work, John! It's great to see another competition cage build in progress....We'll be out here following your thread and cheering you on!

Karen
    PS...What top speed/bracket will you be competing?
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmsss View Post
    Nice work, John! It's great to see another competition cage build in progress....We'll be out here following your thread and cheering you on!

Karen
    PS...What top speed/bracket will you be competing?
    Hey Karen. Great to hear from you!

The target bracket is 200+

I'll need to my qualify my way up to that level but that's the goal.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really great! You are an insperation to us all.