FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much room for the driver

Post Thanks / Like

Question How much room for the driver

I just finished watching the test drive video on your site, and noticed the driver looked a little cramped. I am 6'3" and was not very comfortable in a MK3 Roadster? Is there more, less, or same amount of room?

How soon do you hope to have a completed car on your showroom? I want one, and at this price will be able to buy one, now I just need to know I can fit in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sat in their chassis and I am 6' and there was room. The seat wasn't bolted in totally so their was some wiggle room. I have built the '33 and that is cramped. I think the 818 has the most room out of all the cars except maybe the GTM..... Hope this helps

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I beg to differ...the coupe hass a TON of room. as far as the 818, perhaps they have the seat on sliders for the video and that is the drivers preferred position.?
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" also and would really like to hear from FFR if a taller person will fit in the car. I know differant seats can help. I saw a seat on the FFR site for the GTM for taller drivers that may work for the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also sat in the '33, and to be honest it was the most comfortable of all their cars, granted I didn't sit in the Daytona. If it had the room of the '33 I would be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between 6' and 6' 3" is huge. It's massive in car design. Would be nice to know the measured distance. I asked FFR this question and all I got back was that it was " roomiest cockpits of all our kits" encouraging yes but numbers would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm only around 5'4 - 5'5 so I hope that I can reach the pedals. otherwise, I would need to get the Titon pedal sets. I have always wanted to get the Titon pedal set so I guess this would be a good time for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read in another thread the test driver was approximately 6'. He looks like he's at the top range of those who will fit.

I thought this car was supposed to accommodate a "wookie". Chewie was 7'+. I guess there's no chance he'll be riding in a 818 with Hans and neither will I. Bummer. :frownyface:

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Differant seats will make a differance. where there is a will there is a way.

Post Thanks / Like
    The R rollcage might be higher.

I sold my front WRX seats in anticipation of buying different seats that are lighter (no airbag), more comfortable (WRX seats aren't very form fitting), and lower.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsLGT View Post
    I read in another thread the test driver was approximately 6'. He looks like he's at the top range of those who will fit.

I thought this car was supposed to accommodate a "wookie". Chewie was 7'+. I guess there's no chance he'll be riding in a 818 with Hans and neither will I. Bummer. :frownyface:
    The statement that was made was that the 818 would be "wookie compatible." This means it can be made to accommodate taller people, not that it would do so in base kit form or for the stated target price of $15k. As Wallace18 states, use of different seats is a typical way to accommodate taller drivers. A different pedal set/pedal box might also be an option. Perhaps even an easy relocation of the pedals.

In other words, FFR has stated they will have a supported way to accommodate taller drivers. We just don't know for sure what exactly that way (or ways!) will be, and we don't know the limits as to absolute maximum driver size yet. I recommend you stay tuned for details.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't counted it out yet, but looking at that test driver, things don't look good for an 818 in my future. At 6'7" 300lbs, I'm used to be counted out of certain things. I don't mind if I have to pay a little more to fit properly, but it looks like leg room is scarce, and the roll bar is too low. I'd never pass a broomstick test. The footbox would have to be moved pretty well forward and increased in size for my 15s. The test drivers knee was pretty close to the shifter. My leg would be pushing on it. I'm sure the dash will be pretty basic to accommodate just the necessities, so hopefully the finished product won't be too intrusive on space.

The big problem is with these modifications for tall drivers are the compromises for other drivers. My wife would definitely want to drive and race/autox my (our) 818, so bolting a racing seat to the floor won't be an option. I know there are some low-pro sliders out there, but I don't know if they'd be enough. I can't even get into my LGT after she's been driving it. My hips don't fit between the steering wheel and the seat back, so whatever options become available need to have a wide range of adjustment. :sadviolinmusic:

Welp, here's to hoping for the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like adjustable pedals, sliding seat, and tilt/telescoping wheel should accommodate everyone =)

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall that in the WRX, the seats move up/down A LOT. Not sure if the 818 mounting included the full seat bracket, but if so, maybe the seat wasn't cranked down all the way in the video. I am CERTAIN that with the 818, 6' 7", 300# is going to REQUIRE aftermarket seats, but the point is there may be a lot more room there than it looks in the vid.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at this video, the steering wheel and pedals look a bit closer than I would prefer for everyday driving. The seat in this 818 looks to be all the way back, too. It also looks like it was designed to be in a fixed position, not slide back and forth. Will the seats be able to slide? If not, will the location of the steering wheel and pedals be adjustable, hopefully able to be placed further forward? Would it be an on-the-fly adjustment, or require tools?

I'm 73" and I like my space. In every car I've ever driven (except, oddly, my current Nissan Versa) I have set the seat all the way back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't worry too much about it until we see chassis V2.0. Everything seen so far is the first protoype chassis (with changes, of course) and all the 'mistakes' it came with. Who hits all the marks on the first try? While wheelbase, track width, and suspension pick-up points won't move much - I bet alot of the rest gets shifted around before the final version.

For example, this chassis was built with the intent to put the fuel tank under the seats (it never happened, but the intent was there). That has been ruled out for the final design, so much of the seat/cockpit/steering relationships won't be anywhere near the same as we currently see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still wonder if the doors have some sort of side impact protection. That way it is now, if anyone T bones you it's pretty much game over.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you went with the donor column there may not be much room for adjustment on the fly but if there is a luxury model with adjustable column from one of the compatible Subarus (not familiar) that could be very helpful. Also, there is the quick release steering wheel device (NRG ). I'm getting one for my roadster. It makes getting in and out much easier if your larger plus the security factorR Just suggesting. WEK.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 07-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I still wonder if the doors have some sort of side impact protection. That way it is now, if anyone T bones you it's pretty much game over.
    You're very right. The recent NASCAR redesign made the cars physically bigger just to get the steel cage as far away from the driver as possible. The more distance you have between the steel and the driver, the more energy that can be abosrbed by the steel. The fiberglass body is much wider than the steel frame. I am hoping that the doors have some substantial steel that hugs the inner surface of the fiberglass. Another trick that NASCAR has used is putting styrofoam on the side of the car. It is very light and cheap, and can absorb a lot of energy. With no windows to get in the way , it would be very easy to fill the doors with foam. I plan to do as such.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't even considering space between the steel and your body since from just above your waist up there looks to be zero steel on your side!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose they are going after an easier ingress/egress with the open door area in the chassis. If they keep it this way those of us that don't mind stepping a bit higher can order the chassis in plain steel, weld in a few additional chassis members, and then either paint or coat it ourselves. It certainly wouldn't hurt torsional rigidity either. Will have to see how the bodywork pans out to see if there will be any issues clearance wise with such a project.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the video above it looks like the width dimensions are pretty tight though and an additional member higher up may interfere with the driver's elbow.

Post Thanks / Like
    That thing is begging for some nice buckets. I might just swap over a set of recaros out of my integra. They would look nice in this car. Low profile and comfortable already cuz they have already been broken in.

But back on topic. This is only the prototype and changes will happen. The car hasn't even been released yet. I'm going to wait until SEMA to make my final decision. Plus for me I'm holdin out for the coupe or at least a hard top option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if there is a pic of it or not, but David Hodgkins did jump in it at the end of the open house, not sure how tall David is, but he is a wookie for sure. He rode in the passanger seat of my MKIII to the Open House and had to take off his shoes to fit semi comfortably, and he felt pretty okay in the 818.

A couple things to remember though height isn't an end all be all, people have different proportions, I am 5'11 and I am about 3 inches taller then my wife, but I get into her car and move the seat up and down every time. I have shorter legs and I am longer in the torso then she is. So its not just height. That said, with different seats, I think most people will be able to fit in the 818 fairly comfortably.

As for side impact, I am not sure if its been stated yet specifically, but on the roadster at least, the doors are reinforced to help with side impact, but you won't enjoy getting t-boned in a roadster or an 818 on the highway, though with the light weight of the cars they are probably more apt to move then to crush as long as there is a place for them to go.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very curious about this too... being 6'4" makes me question weather I should get excited about this or not? On the surface, I really want one... but if I don't fit, then obviously not.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    I seem to recall that in the WRX, the seats move up/down A LOT.
    They do move up a lot, down, not so much.

being 5'9 I feel confident that I will fit in the car, I too though will be swapping my 05 seats with side airbags for some Sparcos.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 08-20-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    They do move up a lot, down, not so much.
    I guess this is a POV thing on where position 'normal' is. If you get in, and the seat is already all the way up, then it can move down a lot. If its already down as far as it goes, it can move up a lot. Who is to say where the starting point is supposed to be? All I know is in full down position, it seems lower to the floor than most cars. Hence I would consider that an ability to move 'down'.

If the total distance a WRX seat can move, from full up, to full down, is a large distance as compared to other cars, then it could be said the WRX seats can move up/down a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious to know what the leg room is going to be (using the standard WRX seat and put in the fully back position).

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    All I know is in full down position, it seems lower to the floor than most cars. Hence I would consider that an ability to move 'down'.

I hear what you are saying, in my opinion, and I'm just comparing it to my previous cars, bottomed out it still seems rather high to me, if I put it all the way up, my head is against the roof, (although I do have the sunroof which kills 1.5") and I am not tall by any means

We can both agree that there is quite the range of motion, with custom low profle brackets it would be plenty adjustable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I hear what you are saying, in my opinion, and I'm just comparing it to my previous cars, bottomed out it still seems rather high to me, if I put it all the way up, my head is against the roof, (although I do have the sunroof which kills 1.5") and I am not tall by any means

We can both agree that there is quite the range of motion, with custom low profle brackets it would be plenty adjustable.
    The ones I sat in were '02-'04 models. I always have trouble with headroom but could wear Abe Lincolns hat with the seat all the way down in those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how all this talk about headroom applies to the 818. I realize the seating position (and adjustability thereof) may impact ones view of the gauges as well as the comfort of the steering wheel position, but those details aren't really being discussed currently - and to me they seem more pertinent.

In addition, legroom, foot space and interior width will determine whether this car is good fit for the bigger guys, thus why I keep wondering what are those dimensions -- I would think they could easily be determined from the current frame (as the body shouldn't impact that much, if any). If anyone with access to the current prototype frame could do some quick measurements, I think that would help a lot of people out.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the target donors, and most of the unofficial ones too, have a tilt steering column that should adequately address wheel height issues for most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updating an old thread with a provocative image - just for fun.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...ures-1089.html
    tumblr_mpd5huacBS1qfmslto1_12801373056785.jpg

Just something to keep in mind when attempting to emulate a form or car shape. Might be something unexpected going on the inside which one needs to consider.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of t-boning, will it be possible to order a cross between the S and the R. Models. R in suspension and torsional rigidity and S in interior and street niceties, like a windshield but withy rear end mods like the R?
    KD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Open House photos.

I'm 6'6" and around 315 when these shots were taken. The R had a wookie mod that moved the seat back 3". The S did not. I would be able to drive either car but the R was definitely more comfortable.

Boyd Welding has come up with a new tank design that allows for the wookie mod without losing significant gas storage.

In this shot of the R, notice that the cockpit wall is split and the seat is moved back:

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is slightly off subject, but would a donut spare fit (for a solo road trip) on the floor of the passenger's side?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll check tomorrow
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    The mini coopers don't have a spare but come with a repair kit. Putting together your own or buying such a kit for the 818 would be mandatory in my opinion. Slime sells a kit. A spare would be nicer if it could ever fit anywhere. Time will tell what kind of storage space we can carve out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    The mini coopers don't have a spare but come with a repair kit. Putting together your own or buying such a kit for the 818 would be mandatory in my opinion. Slime sells a kit. A spare would be nicer if it could ever fit anywhere. Time will tell what kind of storage space we can carve out.
    Mine will certainly have a repair kit, along with the best quality very compact 12 volt compressor I can find. Because I don't think we're going to find room for a spare. Or if there is room, I'm going to want it for the overnight bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely love my VIAIR 12V compressor if your looking for a quality unit that doesn't come from sears or an auto parts store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast