Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 Donor Kits; Donor Beta Program Open To Participants

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTLee77 View Post
    I may be mistaken but I don't see wheels and tires on the list of included parts in your web-site. That's definitely something we will need. Are wheels and tires included in the donor kits? Thanks.
    Although the wheels and tires will fit on the 818, in our opinion their only asset will be to roll it around your garage while you build it. As far as being wide enough for an 818, its very far off.
    Another factor is MANY, if not most totaled cars have damaged wheels. It doesn't make sense for us to source new replacement wheels (raising the price of our donor kits), for these donors since they are not a long term solution for the 818 to begin with (in our opinion).

When we close out on the beta donor kit program, and have listings for each available donor (for participants to choose from) we will note which ones have intact wheels and which ones do not. For the beta run ONLY participants will have the choice on whether or not they want the wheels that came with the car. It will be no charge either way, with the exception of shipping them to you.

In the future maybe FFR will offer wheel upgrades, and if not there are many budget minded Subaru focused wheels on the market today; Rota, XXR, etc... we off all of them.
    Last edited by AJW Performance; 08-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that clears it up, thanks!!! Also, how much do you think it would take for you guys to dress up the engine, btw, we're leaning towards the Stage 1 kit. THanks again for this option!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    Although the wheels and tires will fit on the 818, in our opinion their only asset will be to roll it around your garage while you build it. As far as being wide enough for an 818, its very far off.
    Another factor is MANY, if not most totaled cars have damaged wheels. It doesn't make sense for us to source new replacement wheels (raising the price of our donor kits), for these donors since they are not a long term solution for the 818 to begin with (in our opinion). .......
    I must believe that your statement is generally true. And my main reason for wanting the stock wheels IS largely just for having something to roll the car around in the garage during the build.

But I've been doing a little bit of research -- And the stock 16 X 6.5" rims that will be on most donors appear to be capable of accepting tires up from 205mm to 225mm width without a problem. And a 225-50 Series tire will have precisely the same diameter and revolutions per mile as the stock 205-55's. So -- assuming different wheel offsets than stock are not needed for the car -- and if a budget-minded builder isn't planning on getting too wild in the power department, it seems to me that using the stock wheels may actually BE a viable option. 225-50's ought to provide plenty of adhesion, particularly on a car this light.

Andrew, are all four wheels intact on the NA Outback Sport that is likely to be the source of my beta donor pallet?
    Last edited by Silvertop; 08-18-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Error -- revolutions per MILE, not revolutions per minute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I must believe that your statement is generally true. And my main reason for wanting the stock wheels IS largely just for having something to roll the car around in the garage during the build.

But I've been doing a little bit of research -- And the stock 16 X 6.5" rims that will be on most donors appear to be capable of accepting tires up from 205mm to 225mm width without a problem. And a 225-50 Series tire will have precisely the same diameter and revolutions per minute as the stock 205-55's. So -- assuming different wheel offsets than stock are not needed for the car -- and if a budget-minded builder isn't planning on getting too wild in the power department, it seems to me that using the stock wheels may actually BE a viable option. 225-50's ought to provide plenty of adhesion, particularly on a car this light.

Andrew, are all four wheels intact on the NA Outback Sport that is likely to be the source of my beta donor pallet?
    Silvertop, I agree with you for sure. I guess we can see what the demand is. Honestly from a business perspective it really does not make much of a difference to us, so we will let the people choose!
    Yes, your potential N/A DOES have wheels, in fact they are WRX wheels!

Post Thanks / Like
    Silvertop, I agree with you for sure. I guess we can see what the demand is. Honestly from a business perspective it really does not make much of a difference to us, so we will let the people choose!
    Yes, your potential N/A DOES have wheels, in fact they are WRX wheels!
    Perfect! And nice looking wheels at that, if the picture in Post 14 of this thread is any indicator. They appear to be very similar in design to the American Racing brand "Estrella" wheels that I have mounted on my Nissan Sentra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another donor in route; 07 WRX 66,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Any possibility that's mine????

Post Thanks / Like
    geez where are you finding these cars, here in CA it seems that all the wrecked subies have front end damage. Maybe its how these guys here in CA drive lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    geez where are you finding these cars, here in CA it seems that all the wrecked subies have front end damage. Maybe its how these guys here in CA drive lol.
    Ya know, I was thinkin' the same thing! Waiting for further wookie compatability testing before pulling the trigger. I sat in the chassis at the open house and... we'll leave it at that.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    Any possibility that's mine????

Post Thanks / Like
    We constantly are searching, we never sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the kit going to include the ac? Because where we live, a car without ac isn't pretty thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that depends on your donor. FFR may offer some kind of AC add on at additional cost, but your surest bet is to buy a donor with AC and adapt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the kit going to include the ac? Because where we live, a car without ac isn't pretty thing.
    AC with a open roadster?? thats an interesting concept

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if ffr offers a a top then I'll buy it. If not, them I'm gonna custom build one to kit the street model.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run the A/C all the time with the windows open. If it was an option, I don't see why you wouldn't run it with the top down. The cool breeze can make all the difference on a sunny day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCKSTR View Post
    AC with a open roadster?? thats an interesting concept
    the s2000, mustang and im sure pretty much every convertible has it. It feels really good to have the air/heat on with the top down

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR has already stated a top will be offered at launch. I've owned convertibles without AC and wished I had it. I plan to put AC in my 818. Others are free to do as they want...

Post Thanks / Like
    Intact Subaru A/C components are included , but included as an optional component. For the Beta run at least it will be the one part of the kit that you yourself will have to modify to make work. As of now we project most will not use it, but if/when that changes we will modify it accordingly for you. That is simply one of the aspects we would have to wait on to see; what FFR offers, what is needed to make the OEM donor system work, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    This mornings donor getting ready for cleaning, testing and further processing

Before:

Will take a after picture when its all done!
    After:
    Last edited by AJW Performance; 08-31-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    the s2000, mustang and im sure pretty much every convertible has it. It feels really good to have the air/heat on with the top down
    I agree sometimes I do switch on the AC on both my S2000 and MX-5 when it gets realty hot out.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious

19458492_3.JPG
    Another donor in route; 07 WRX 66,000 miles
    This car is for sale on Friday the 7th

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

Post Thanks / Like
    Was also wondering if they got their donors from copart. Seems like AJW might up the bid for people who were deciding on getting their own donor through copart. I was also looking at the current black wrx which is enroute already. I think people on the forum should tell one another if they are planning on getting their particular donor off of copart so we all don't up sell each for no reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    We get our cars from private sales, physical auctions, word of mouth, online methods like copart, and others.
    Saying we might up the bid for people is no different than anyone else bidding. It is an auction, so people will bid. We have the right to buy a car, just like you do. Items, whether they are cars or not have different values to different people, and the amount the individual bids reflects that.
    We are here to compliment the 818, not terrorize it raise all the prices
    Thanks
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    We get our cars from private sales, physical auctions, word of mouth, online methods like copart, and others.
    Saying we might up the bid for people is no different than anyone else bidding. It is an auction, so people will bid. We have the right to buy a car, just like you do. Items, whether they are cars or not have different values to different people, and the amount the individual bids reflects that.
    We are here to compliment the 818, not terrorize it raise all the prices
    Thanks
    Andrew
    well said

I mentioned this point early when people asked why I bought my Copart car so early... as demand goes up we can expect more people to bid on a car looking to make it a donor... just a fact of life. You need to evaluate the car as best you can and put a price on it and stick to that bid... sooner or later you will win the auction. I didn't expect to win mine so early and only one other person bid on the car when I did. I exceeded his "value" put on the car, so he stopped bidding.

I fully expect that AJW has a detailed business plan that allots some working capital in donors, they will fill that in some sort of balance NA vs turbo and seek out "bargains" in their eyes... That is how they make a profit! Isn't capitalism great!

I had the time and place to deconstruct my own, many prefer a palletized kit. AJW even gives a warrantee! What a great business plan IMHO. I expect that more establishments will get into that business as well. ust look on Ebay for GTM kits...

Post Thanks / Like
    Demands for these wrecked cars have always been high lol, people have been swapping them into the gc chassis and others alike for over 10 years
    2004 WRX w/ 300whp soon to be 818 donor... well thats the plan anyways

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of quick questions:

1) When will the kit arrive(within which month will be fine because we're looking for a storage locker to store the gear until we actually start the build)?

2) Will your kit come with power windows or is that another thing like the ac system & wheels/tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    1. The kit is EXPECTED to debut at the SEMA show, which takes place October 30 - November 2, 2012. No promises have been made. Kits are expected to begin shipping either late 2012 or early 2013 if memory serves.

2. Initially it will be offered in only 2 variants - the track version and the street roadster - and with limited options. Roll up windows will NOT be offered at launch, but FFR has stated they will be available later. How much later, we don't know. We also don't know if they will be offered for the roadster version at all (it may be a coupe only option for all we know at this point). Since there are no immediate plans for windows, there is no way to know if the Subaru power window system will work at all.

Finally, as I just alluded to, there will be other body styles/variants offered at some future point. These include a coupe (most of us are hoping this is a targa) and a high MPG setup (probably a coupe body style but using a different engine).

Bottom line is anything beyond the track version and street roadster - both with limited options - is speculation at this point (either WHEN it will be offered, or in some cases IF it will be offered).

I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Timmy,
    1) We are aiming to ship the kits in October

2) Power windows are not used for the 818, at least not from the donor.

Couple of quick questions:

1) When will the kit arrive(within which month will be fine because we're looking for a storage locker to store the gear until we actually start the build)?

2) Will your kit come with power windows or is that another thing like the ac system & wheels/tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    1. The kit is EXPECTED to debut at the SEMA show, which takes place October 30 - November 2, 2012. No promises have been made. Kits are expected to begin shipping either late 2012 or early 2013 if memory serves.

2. Initially it will be offered in only 2 variants - the track version and the street roadster - and with limited options. Roll up windows will NOT be offered at launch, but FFR has stated they will be available later. How much later, we don't know. We also don't know if they will be offered for the roadster version at all (it may be a coupe only option for all we know at this point). Since there are no immediate plans for windows, there is no way to know if the Subaru power window system will work at all.

Finally, as I just alluded to, there will be other body styles/variants offered at some future point. These include a coupe (most of us are hoping this is a targa) and a high MPG setup (probably a coupe body style but using a different engine).

Bottom line is anything beyond the track version and street roadster - both with limited options - is speculation at this point (either WHEN it will be offered, or in some cases IF it will be offered).

I hope this helps.
    I knew the info about the FFR kit but what I was asking was directed towards AWJ Performances kit. My dad and I placed a order for one of there beta run kits and I was just wondering if it was possible to receive the power windows from the donor car minus the windows which most likely will not fit the 818, then hopefully get some glass that will fit without to much cutting

Post Thanks / Like
    Doh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Doh!
    No problem, thanks for the input and clarification!

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your October shipping target, when is the best time to call to discuss additional options -- cam installs, possible ECU tunes, etc, to go with my beta donor kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^agreed^

Post Thanks / Like
    About us:

http://818donors.com/about-us/

Our History: We have been involved in the Subaru community for almost a decade now specializing in performance and high quality race/ street car builds. Building cars is in our blood, and Subaru is our DNA. When you purchase a donor kit or turn key 818 from us you are not only purchasing the product which is a result of our 10 years of experience, but 24 hour customer support and expertise as well. Our staff members are qualified and experienced in the industry and capable of walking you through or answering any inquiry you may have. We are happy to help!

Our experience: Our experience in the field has enabled us to offer the best products and methods of service possible for your 818 application due to years of expertise in Subaru service, racing, personal interests, trial and error, and testing of products that work; staying away from the ones that don’t.

Benefits: What are the benefits to going with an 818 donor kit from us?
    The answer is: Getting a quality donor that works; peace of mind!

Quality Tested Donor Kits: Getting a quality donor kit that works is what will determine whether you can complete your 818 kit successfully the first time around; keeping it fun and stress free, properly built, and affordable. All of our vehicles go through a meticulous inspection process and are fully tested before being released to our customers. When you open up a donor kit from 818parts you are guaranteed a healthy, 100% functioning platform to work with, and this eliminates any of the guess work or uncertainty associated with purchasing a wrecked Subaru from an auto salvage or private party to use as your donor.

Replacements: If something needs to be replaced, it is done so prior to being put up for sale, this includes engine components, transmission, and all associated electrical and structural hardware. Additional replacement parts are also available from our performance shop in our online store for upgrades and customization. All donors are tested from engine compression and leak down tests, to receiving new hardware and bushings if needed!

What You Get: What is received is what is needed, save the scrapping and waste to us. When you order a kit from us you get exactly what you need, down to the last nut and bolt. The joy for most of us with getting a kit car is the process of building it, then driving it. The messy and frustrating donor aspect of stripping the needed parts and discarding the ones you do not need is now eliminated. No more snapped nuts and bolts, or seized turbo studs, no more disappointments with getting used components that do not fit or run correctly, we do all that for you. We even eliminate the occurrence of messy used oil spills by discarding all the waste fluids for you. Many kit car builders build their kits in their home garage, where space is limited and time is limited. A wrecked Subaru donor takes up a lot of time to disassemble and space; the shell, doors, bumpers, sub frames and hood are bulky and time consuming to take apart and try to sell or properly recycle/throw away. The bulky donor can take up valuable garage space which is crucial for building your kit, not to mention these parts have the potential to gather dust in the corner of your garage or shed for eternity.

Go Green: We help YOU Go Green. 818kits is a “Go Green” operation and we eliminate any contaminated/ environmentally hazardous aspects of building your 818 out of the equation for you. We properly dispose of all your used fluids which a donor comes with including; engine oil, gear and differential fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and more (you receive new fluids for free with our Stage 1 and up Kits)! We also recycle all the unnecessary damaged body panels which often come off of a donor car which are irrelevant to the 818, including the shell and uni body which is bulky and hard to dispose of when not able to roll around freely in your garage once taken apart. Even old rusty and seized sub frames and hardware (which love to rust out on Subaru) get brought to the proper place! The only thing left is the satisfaction on our faces for taking the proper measures in disposing hazardous waste and scrap metal, not to mention the time and hassle we saved you, by not having to disassemble a donor car.
    Subaru's are known for head gasket problems, will your service include replacement as part of the package, or will it be an upgrade option?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only Subarus that I have heard of having head gasket problems are the 1990's NA 2.5L motors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
    The only Subarus that I have heard of having head gasket problems are the 1990's NA 2.5L motors.
    I agree the wrx engines do not have common head gasket issues at all. I had one run perfectly with over 200,000k on it. Even when it was pushed it never blew a head gasket or really have any other major issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I shopped for a used Subaru for my son... several Subaru places did EVERY 100,000 mile 2.5 motor's head gasket before selling as a used car with a warrantee... so the 2.5's do have some history... and these were 2000+ models

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast