FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Stablizer?

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Stablizer?

Years ago (back in the '60s) my folks had a Pontiac Tempest 4 banger with unassisted steering. Back in those days tires were skinny, biased belts and so steering wasn't too bad except for parking. That car had a horizontal shock absorber in the steering linkage to take up some road shock feedback through to the steering wheel. It worked, too, because I remember taking it off one time and driving the car to see what the difference was. I kind of remember that the power steering version of the Tempest didn't have that stablizer shock.

My '33 does have a lot of feedback from the lumps and bumps of Wisconsin's roads to the steering wheel. Mine is non-assisted steering, too. I've been thinking about adding one between the steering arm and the frame somewhere to see if it dampens out some of that unwanted feedback.

I'm going to look this weekend to see where one might be installed. I'll also have to look for a shock that isn't a gas filled one since it is going to have to work the same in both directions. Maybe one of my slightly used Konis could be the answer! It will have to have a stroke length at least as long as the travel Left to Right for the steering arm.

Anyone tried this sort of thing on the '33 or the FFR Roadsters?

Best regards, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 05-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The off road guys fit those steering dampers perhaps you could check those out and see if they could be made to fit. But your symptoms might just be a tire pressure or alignment issue such as toe or caster. Or maybe the wheels you used result in too much scrub radius.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    The off road guys fit those steering dampers...
    True, but they are generally used as a band aid for poor geometry, most often negative caster and bump steer. If your '33 is set up properly it should not be necessary. As Mike says go through your alignment, including checking bump steer before going any farther.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies. I do have larger than normal front wheel offsets and relatively low Caster settings of 3° because of the non-assisted steering.

Easiest would be to add some caster and see if that helps without loading up the steering effort. Next would be to have another set of Steelies made for the front end. We worked hard on bump steer and feel we have that pretty well dialed in.

I'd not thought of the caster and offset issues. I appreciate the leads.

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, what's your tire pressure? I too had excessive bump steer at high PSI but once I lowered it, it gave the tire a chance to absorb some of the hit and it's gone