Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How about a post SEMA update Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a post SEMA update Dave.

So how about it Dave, tell us your thoughts after Sema. Where do you think the project is going now?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave is out of the office today but if I talk to him I'll tell him about this thread...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's only Tuesday. I'm sure they're doing, or going to do an after action report from SEMA. I have a feeling Dave's initial response will be something like this.

"SEMA was a great success. The reception the 818 (exceeded or met) our expectations. Currently, we're reviewing our notes, customer feedback, and will determine where we are in the process of getting this car into the public's hands".

We can't expect too much right now. They rushed to get these cars onto the floor at SEMA, and probably have a lot of notes to go over about successes and difficulties they encountered. They also have feedback from SEMA from enthusiasts, professionals, and daydreamers, and that will take some time to go over.

I think the next step, we as potential customers can expect to see, is a completed and running car. Then we can get notes on what it's really going to take from a donor, and work output to get one of these on the road.

I'm less concerned with "changes" at this point, as the "changes" people want are cosmetic mostly, not including options for tops. I want to know about snags, hurdles and very importantly pricing. We know Dave is right on target for the base kit. I'm curious about options.

I think the time frame of Juneish will be optimistic for release. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be interesting to see how quickly FFR can ramp up production on the 818 once they get the molds etc where they want them. The 818 will need significant capacity in addition to the cars they already produce so logically will either require hiring and training new staff or taking resources off the existing models or a combination of the two. If they start off at one or two a week in June and get up to 5 a week after say six months it could still be well into 2014 before the pre-orders are delivered. I can easily see a production requirement of more than 5 a week (250 a year) once the cars get more press. This is actually a great problem for Dave to have as it will enable him to make some very smart investments to keep production costs in check.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without knowing current sales of the Roadster, GTM, and the others, I can see 1000 818s per year as fairly realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    As of now, I'm thanking god that I stopped what I was doing and for some reason checked this forum and saw that the pre-orders were up. If I hadn't(scary thought right there) I probably wouldn't have seen it until the next day and I'd have around 40-50 people infront of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    As of now, I'm thanking god that I stopped what I was doing and for some reason checked this forum and saw that the pre-orders were up. If I hadn't(scary thought right there) I probably wouldn't have seen it until the next day and I'd have around 40-50 people infront of me.
    Yeah, yeah then you'd be in my boat! I was out of town Monday and wasn't able to get online. When I checked Tuesday morning my stomach dropped when I saw that FFR was taking deposits and how many were already placed. I jumped on it, but I'm further down the list than I would have preferred. Anyway, it may not be all bad... this will be my first component car build and I'll be paying attention to the early builds so I'll be able to take advantage of the collective wisdom of the forum when it's my turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    this will be my first component car build and I'll be paying attention to the early builds so I'll be able to take advantage of the collective wisdom of the forum when it's my turn.
    I put my name in the list for a "R" just this morning. But I feel similar. I'd like to have other forum members collective wisdom ready, than be the guy answering all the questions with busted knuckles.

I also want the crew at FFR to feel more comfortable welding, cutting, and forming my chassis and body. Even though getting a low VIN/Build number gives you bragging rights and MIGHT make it valuable in 40 years, I'd rather have the boys at the factory work most of the kinks out before I get mine. Plus I have time to build a motor and work though the rules and get the car classed for my chosen racing organization.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 11-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Without knowing current sales of the Roadster, GTM, and the others, I can see 1000 818s per year as fairly realistic.
    Roadster sales have averaged about 500 a year, by far the largest kit car sales per year for anyone. The GTM and coupe have only sold about 300 total cars each in all the years they have been produced. The 33' is very popular but IDK if it outsells the roadster. 1000 818's a year? I doubt it, but if you're right i could wait a few years and pick up one real cheap.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Roadster sales have averaged about 500 a year, by far the largest kit car sales per year for anyone.

I'm pretty sure that in one of the FFR DVD's I have around here they said they have been selling over 1,000 Cobra kits a year for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like
    In one of the SEMA videos, Dave states that the HotRod is the best selling kit. Interesting.

I wonder if the 2-part availability has anything to do with that?

I still say the 818 will outsell everything else, maybe even combined. I'm guessing that one of the many things that Dave said he has to discuss with his team after SEMA is expansion..where and how.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly, at SEMA, Jim told me they do about 5 kits a day currently but have the ability to do up to 11. That works out to 1,300 and 2,860 per year, respectively.