FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR community giving back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FFR community giving back.

FFR is one of my favorite car communities of which I'm going to be a future member of (saving for an 818). I sense that there is a lot of generosity and care for one's fellow man. One thing I'm wondering is has there ever been a time where FFR owners/fans gave back? I.E. supporting a charity, cause, fundraise, etc. etc. Is there anything that a lot of members are passionate about? One thing I've noticed is that there is a big appreciation for veterans and the military. Also maybe supporting safe driving practices like K.R.O.P.S.

Personally I think it would be really cool to have a charity "drive" where a bunch of owners get together for a cruise/quazi parade. FFR cars are really striking, and the sight of several thundering down the street would really turn heads... for a good cause of course.

Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Because of a very personal connection to Factory Five most owners have embraced the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as the charity of choice. The London Cobra Show has had a fundraising element dedicated to supporting CFF since it originally began as the Double Venom Spring Fling back in 2001. I'd guess that the contributions have totaled in the neighborhood a half million dollars during that time. Whitby's generously donates the proceeds from their annual Christmas open house to CF as well.

Apart from organized charities there have been a number of humanitarian efforts with owners coming together to assist other builders facing challenges. The first that comes to mind is the heroic efforts that Greg Marsh went to spending a tremendous amount of his time building and bringing volunteers together to complete Don Vorhies' car for him when Don learned that he was facing a terminal illness.

There are many similar stories; perhaps others will offer more examples. It's a great group to be a part of!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes I would love to hear more similiar stories!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there's rumors of a Autocross/Time Attack race in Riverside to benefit CFF this coming April. So yes, we do! We also built the two hot rods for Car Warriors, one of which will be auctioned off for CFF as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wait RIVERSIDE CA?! I want to GOOO....just realized its in april. How will it benefit CFF? IS it at adams?

Post Thanks / Like
    Please consider the CF Foundation for your year end tax deductible donations. Dave has a very personal link to CF and I have CF myself, and we have come to meet and have a newly formed friendship based on this common bond. Dave allowed me to setup at the Huntington Beach show last year to help raise money for my double lung transplant that's upcoming. I was blown away by the generosity of the guests and by Dave and the FFR crew.

I trained to be a mechanic and have wanted my own performance/repair shop as my dream job. As I wait for my surgery, I am finally living my dream! Helping people with their cars gives me the utmost satisfaction. I watch and learn from Dave all the time on how to be a role model for other small businesses and admire his honest, hard work, and devotion to his passion.

Couple links to get you some reading material and info on CF and myself....
    www.cff.org
    www.ronniestransplant.com
    MKIV #8341 Grabber Blue with Satin Black Trim - 302 w/AFR 165's, Custom Ed Curtis Cam, Edelbrock Air Gap, Holley 750 DP, TKO 500, 3.27 8.8 - Car made 320rwhp w/250 miles on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    What we do, but a little background too.......

We always do some type of drive during the holidays. This year is collecting winter garments for the local homeless.

That said, we do not only give during the holidays. We donate a portion of each sale to a fund that helps local citizens in our community. We offer grants for non-financial aid eligible courses, most are taken at Tech schools and Community centers. Courses like basic and advanced welding, first responders/EMT, medical coding and terminology, Building Contractors License/CSL, Nurse aid prep courses, Radiology tech, Dental assistant, Cosmetology, Marine mechanic, Oil burner tech and basic computer training/excel/data entry. Many locals want to work, but due to circumstances beyond their control, are unable to save the necessary funds to get certificates to allow them to advance in their current career or the ability to adapt and change paths. In most cases we offer a 50% "loan" that is considered paid in full upon completion of the course, no repayment required. Many of the institutions will also discount the course price though their own generosity. If the student is unwilling or unable to complete the course without pre-agreed conditions then they need to repay the grant in small monthly payments that in turn fund other grants. Once paid off, they are again eligible for another grant. In rare occasions if the applicant shows unusual circumstances we will pay for the course in full, but we feel success is best found when one has "skin in the game". It is important for us to give back to our community, we do not do it for self gain or because we are forced by goverment policies, we do it because we know a hand up will always be better than a hand out.

I come from a very poor back-round, single parent upbringing, suffering from sever learning disabilities, repetitive homeless from age 8-19..... just the lack of basic necessities. What was constant; was love and support. That said, without an outside "nudge" in the right direction my life would have gone far different. I have a beautiful life, one that has been stable for the better part of 20 years. I have a wonderful wife of 16 years and two wonderful children. This year will mark a large milestone for me, I am in the process of building my mother a house, one that she will never have a payment on and one she can live in for the rest of her life... worry free...

Many folks need to sit back, register how fortunate they are and lend a helping hand to those that are willing to help themselves and more importantly, have a stranger believed in them. It will go a lot further than you think.

Ronnie, Thoughts and prayer for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 12-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.