Aloha818,

I know it has been a while since you posted on this thread, but I was wondering if you have any pictures of the back plate you made for the 4AT. I followed all your steps in the thread, but this was the only picture missing.

Thanks

Bill
Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
Since its been about two years (can't believe it's been that long ago) and I have more experience with my build using the 4eat, I thought I should give an update.

My previous comments about the mechanical modifications remain unchanged. Both the engine and the transmission were both operating on their stock ECU/TCU's.

After my first build completion and driving in October 2015 the trans ran and shifted as you would expect in a stock Subaru. After my first days of actual driving I made a list of things I wanted to change and put the car back in my shop and went back to work. I did not have any changes related to the trans on the list.

What was on my list was a complete rewire of the car including the engine harness, to get rid of all the Subaru harnesses and starts fresh with a generic harness from Painless and the harness from Haltech to go with the new ECU.

During my rewiring stage I asked advice from Level 10, PCS (Powertrain Control Solutions), IPT trans, and lots of reading on several forums about how to control the 4eat with an aftermarket ECU. All said it either couldn't be done, and/or they didn't offer control solutions. My local tech, John, from Hawaii Performance disagreed. He said for me to use the stock TCU, feed it power, ground, brake light and TPS inputs and it would work. I also have the front wheel drive "fuse" connected and the dropping resistor connected.

I've driven the car now about a hundred miles, at least 10 WOT from stop through all four gears, and 3 hours on the dyno with 9 full pulls. No hiccups yet. Shifts smooth and predictable in stop and go traffic, and snaps through the gears at WOT, even got a little bark from first to second.

It is a little different sound than manual shifting with turbo's, no unspooling/spooling at each gear change.

My first SCCA event will be April 3rd. I'll update again sometime after that with more observations.