Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hi, I'm New

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm New

Hi everyone, I'm Taz.

I've been lurking on the these boards for a couple of weeks, sucking up knowledge and ideas. I'm really impressed by this community.

I've been reading a lot of the build logs, and watched all of the FastThings youTube vids (great work, Gene!). I've received all the brochures from FFR and bought the digital GTM build manual online in anticipation of building my own car. Unfortunately, my life just turned a bit sideways and my anticipated January purchase has been put off, possibly for a year or more.

But I still am addicted to thinking about my future GTM, and am going forward with the planning process.

On that subject, I've been messing around in Photoshop. I've read some people wanting to see what the car would look like in different colours. I grabbed a pic I found of CanadianGTM's finished build and started experimenting. I hope thats ok. If not, let me know, bud, and I'll pull the pics. In the interim, I thought I'd show the Gen II in a couple of colours. If any of you want to see a specific colour, let me know and I'll do my best.
    Front-34-Gunmetall.jpg
    Front-34-Dark-Burgundy.jpg
    Front-34Candy-Gold-w-stripe.jpg
    Front-34Candy-Gold.jpg
    Front-34-AmberFire.jpg

One of my ideas was to take the aluminum panels and use them as templates to make carbon fiber panels in their stead. I was thinking that the CF would not only be lighter, but would offer better heat insulation than the aluminum to keep the cabin cooler. Thoughts?

Ok, enough of me.

Looking forward to being part of all of this fun....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Taz, welcome!

I hung out on the boards for over a year before I ordered my kit so no worries there! You have some good PS skills there! I wish you were around when I was trying to decide on my colors!

I hope to see your posts here often!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Taz! Welcome aboard! I am in the same boat as you, doing a butt tonne of homework watching my budget go sky high! :P

I was thinking of this colour for my GTM with CF hood louvers and black for Shane's louvers which will go everywhere else. If you can pop one out in something close to that or cobalt blue I would be grateful.

cheers,

P

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great work! I really like the amberfire color. The GTM is such a great car, it looks good painted in almost any color.

Best,

T

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. With all the info and ideas I've gotten from all of you, giving back a little is the least I can do.

Narkosys, I wasn't sure if you were painting your headlight buckets dark or leaving them body colour, so I did both. I couldn't get quite as dark as the colour you indicated, it lost too much detail. I did add a red pearl for you, though. Just for giggles.

Front-34Candy-Cobalt-Blue.jpgFront-34Candy-Cobalt-Blue-2.jpg

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!! that is great work! I love that bit of red pearl, that was some great thinking. I was debating the headlight bucket colour but looking at your renderings I think the best way to go is keeping them dark as it makes a nice contrast.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. I was a long time lurker as well, that said I am just about finished with my GTM. I took the long road planning before pulling the trigger. I took the time to collect the parts, recondition those parts and put as much $$ aside as I could. My goal was to have a finished GTM with less then 30k out of pocket. Toward the end I have added quite a few "nice things" (nearly 5k worth) and I will still be less then 30k. This car is show quality....not only my standards but to anyone that has seen it in person, including fellow GTM owners. I purchased a used Kit, I took the time to maximize part sell off from the donor, got sponsorships from several of smaller companies and "dug for deals". I have a few posts on my budget build. It can be done on a budget, but added time is the trade off. Stick around and learn. Lots and lots to learn.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 12-05-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling is not my strong suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taz,

Welcome. Great having a fellow lurker on board. I'm impressed with your PS skills.

I originally was looking at the GTM when the 818 came up.... I have decided that, for me, I would start there... faster and easier and $15 k (not $30+, I hope) for a first build.

Best wishes for you dream build.

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the photoshop work. The maroon with grey top is a great combo. One I will file away as a strong possibilty when I begin my build hopefully in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    I was debating the headlight bucket colour but looking at your renderings I think the best way to go is keeping them dark as it makes a nice contrast.
    Glad it was helpful. That was kinda the idea...give back and help out a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I took the time to collect the parts, recondition those parts and put as much $$ aside as I could. My goal was to have a finished GTM with less then 30k out of pocket. Toward the end I have added quite a few "nice things" (nearly 5k worth) and I will still be less then 30k.
    Kalstar, that is great advice! I plan on budgeting a bit more, because I want ISIS, ISIS Touch, some carbon fiber bits and a leather interior (amoung other things!), but your money saving trips will definitely help me to afford those things. Consider your advice heeded.

As for all the positive feedback on the Photoshop stuff...I thank you all greatly. But methinks you give me a bit too much credit. Once I did the original file rendering, which took me maybe an hour, after that the colour shifts are really easy. I use an old version of Photoshop (PS 6 to be exact), which you can get for next to nothing, if not actually nothing. I'm sure the newer versions such as Photoshop CS are just as easy. All it takes is some time and attention to detail, which you've already proven to have if you are building a kit car.

I could probably teach you to do it in about 1/2 hour. If anyone wants to learn, send me a PM. Maybe it would be useful for a builder like Shane or others to give customers ideas on paint colours and ideas. Or maybe just a guy like me at home thinking up different colour and striping ideas. Either way, if there's interest, I'll put together a tutorial or something. I guess I could post it in its own thread, but I'll wait to see if anyone wants it first.

Later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    ...., but I'll wait to see if anyone wants it first.
    I'm in.. I'll need to get a copy of PS first.

Thanks for sharing.

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Taz, good to see another GTM enthusiast on board. Keep your goals in sight, and you will eventually realize the dream.

I'm liking that copper/orange colour you posted earlier; I think Kalstar has a similar tone on his car.

P.S. Canada is taking over!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Hey Taz, good to see another GTM enthusiast on board. Keep your goals in sight, and you will eventually realize the dream.

I'm liking that copper/orange colour you posted earlier; I think Kalstar has a similar tone on his car.

P.S. Canada is taking over!
    Mine ended up being Copperhead (main color) with (Carbon ash) roof. The wing, side panel extensions and front splitter are real carbon fiber. it really pops in the sun, finish exterior pics coming real soon.

Taz, were do I sign up for the photo shop class?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Taz, are you using the, "Replace Color" feature in Photoshop to get the end result?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Taz, are you using the, "Replace Color" feature in Photoshop to get the end result?
    Not quite. I've tried that in the past, but not liked the results at all.
    I'm working on the tutorial now, but have to run out, so I will finish it tomorrow.

In a nutshell, I use a ton of layers to get varying depths of colour, which allows me to simulate candies and pearls as well as just solid colours. Also, I find my way gives a more photorealistic end result. Less "cartoony".

I should be able to post it tomorrow. If not, then monday.

Got your car started yet? I'm rooting for my fellow Canadian! (You must be ecstatic...the Leafs are undefeated this season!)

Post Thanks / Like
    that Leaf's comment made me laugh :P

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got your car started yet? I'm rooting for my fellow Canadian! (You must be ecstatic...the Leafs are undefeated this season!)
    Na man, this last month has bean a *****. Parts not fitting, work-arounds, and now the battery is smoked.

Going for a Monday startup, but don't bet the farm on this kid.

Looking forward to your tutorial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tutorial is going up now.

Click here