Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Knee Joint Treatment for No Cartilage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had knee surgery yesterday and laying in bed with knee elevated as I type! This is my 5th knee surgery, 4th on one knee. My issue has been torn miniscus and calcification and worn cartilage.

I had a procedure done: microfracture, where they drill through the cartilage into the bone to stimulate new cartilage growth. I know nothing about the procedure, and was the first I heard of the procedure was in the recovery room. The surgeon sounded like this was going to buy me some time, because he told me that he would be seeing me again in 20-25 years for a knee replacement.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like

Supartz

I hope I spelled it right. That is the "joint lubricant" , it is derived from a rooster cox comb. No I'm not joking. My wife had a series of two shots in each knee. Was not painful but it really didn't help much . Insurance companies usually don't cover all the expense either. She is a candidate for knee replacement. She said she will wait untill it is very bad, as she has undergone 4 heart stents and a quad bypass in the last 2 yrs. When we were checking on the shots we heard of many people that did have good results, we werent that lucky. The only side effect about the shots was she "clucked " alot , NOW im joking.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind the clucking if it'd help me find chicks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TNCobra View Post
    Had knee surgery yesterday and laying in bed with knee elevated as I type! This is my 5th knee surgery, 4th on one knee. My issue has been torn miniscus and calcification and worn cartilage.

I had a procedure done: microfracture, where they drill through the cartilage into the bone to stimulate new cartilage growth. I know nothing about the procedure, and was the first I heard of the procedure was in the recovery room. The surgeon sounded like this was going to buy me some time, because he told me that he would be seeing me again in 20-25 years for a knee replacement.
    Hey TNCobra Im in Sac as well, if you need anything [like someone to driver your Cobra] just let me know!
    Kidding aside I hope you all a quick recovery.
    B

Post Thanks / Like
    As a temporary fix you might investigate a brace called the V-VAS.
    This brace unloads the pressure at the knee joint.

http://www.anatomicalconceptsinc.com/vvas.htm

jack

Post Thanks / Like
    "Supartz
    I hope I spelled it right. That is the "joint lubricant" , it is derived from a rooster cox comb."

I have a coworker friend who is using this stuff. Old football and wrestling injury, and he's overweight, but its working for him. He's ~52, and he's wanting to buy some time before he does the knee replacement, knowing that knee replacements only last so long before you have to do it again, and he only wants to do it once. After getting periodic injections of the stuff, he went from limping and lots of pain, to no pain, and he's walking every day to take off weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there, how did the microfracture procedure go? I am scheduled to have mine in two weeks dye to no cartilage in my knee. Thanks!